Is it OK to bend the string downwards? I always bend the string downwards. Should I start to get used to bending upwards cause I see many guitarist bending only upwards.
They both produce a different note, a song should specify whether to bend upwards or downwards.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
I do both, for me it depends which string im bending and how big the bend is. If its just a micro tone bend i usually bend down, but bigger bends i tend to bend up.
i usually bend upwards on the higher strings
but on lower strings i bend downwards
you cant bend upwards on the low E
Quote by metal Lover
The thought of you humping her limp body is hilarious.

it dont matter really to me. I bend down on all the strings except the high e standard cuz it would bend off the board.thats the only time i bend up.Plus, it wont tear up the strings either way, it just like wearing a strap.every one can do it different.
bending down is toward your palm, bending up is toward your face. dont mix it up.
Last edited by THEunknown1 at Jul 25, 2006,
Quote by edwardthegreat5
They both produce a different note, a song should specify whether to bend upwards or downwards.

No they don't.
You should be able to do BOTH.

Man, there are some really sad comments here.

A bend in either direction will produce the same note. However, the overall effect
will be different.

Don't mix them up?! Where'd you come up with that one?

This isn't an either/or problem. If you lack skill in one you have less options and
overall your playing will be diminished.
Quote by sonixon
No they don't.

Doesn't it raise a pitch depending if you bend up/down?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Last edited by edwardthegreat5 at Jul 25, 2006,
Quote by edwardthegreat5

Doesn't it raise/lower a pitch depending if you bend up/down?

Bending up or down raises the pitch of a note.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Bending up or down raises the pitch of a note.

That's what I said!
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Quote by edwardthegreat5
That's what I said!

No, you said (from what I can gather) that if you bend the string physically upwards, the note will raise in pitch where as if you bend the string physically downwards the note will lower in pitch - which is wrong.

Bending the string physically up or down will raise the pitch of the note, you can't lower the pitch of a note with a string bend.
Quote by Johnljones7443
No, you said (from what I can gather) that if you bend the string physically upwards, the note will raise in pitch where as if you bend the string physically downwards the note will lower in pitch - which is wrong.

Bending the string physically up or down will raise the pitch of the note, you can't lower the pitch of a note with a string bend.

That basiclly sums up what I meant, I got no sleep last night, so my head isn't clear.

Sorry if you misinterpreted my post.

EDIT-Now I see where I messed up.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Wow.

Anyways, it doesn't matter at all, except that it's usually easier to bend up. If you're having trouble, use as many fingers as you need to get it to pitch. all you need to do is fret with 1 or 2 other fingers directly behind the fret you're trying to play, then use them to help bend when it's time.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
I do a mix of both, nothing wrong with doing what is comfortable for you.
The guitar text book would state that you bend the three high strings up and the three low strings down. You cannot bend the high E downwards otherwise it would slip off the neck and the low E and A cannot really be bent up for the same reason. It is however harder to perform big bends downwards because you can only use the strength of your fingers, an upward bend should incorporate the wrist; essentially the fingers stay locked in place and you turn your wrist to make the string bend.