Page 1 of 41
It has indeed come to this, there's been nothing but SRV threads lately, as this has been requested and I personally think the requester for the thread was correct.
Anyway, talk about whatever SRV stuff in here, post links to videos, ask technical questions (if you want), discuss anything about the guy.

Andrew
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
In Lenny on Live at the El Mocambo DVD, you can see him using the fat side of the pick
If he played with the fat side of the pick, he probably just picked up up backwards.........i've done that before.

EDIT: After looking down at all the threads that were closed, this thread will effectively wipe out almost all other Blues and Jazz activity, lol.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Last edited by TNfootballfan62 at Jul 25, 2006,
Quote by TNfootballfan62
EDIT: After looking down at all the threads that were closed, this thread will effectively wipe out almost all other Blues and Jazz activity, lol.

Yes, it will.

Does anyone else think that Tightrope by SRV is a perfect song?
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
I don't know about perfect, but its quite good.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62

It seems like it could, but hopefully it'll convince people to talk about someone else as well. It's ridiculous that someone bothers to make a new thread everytime they find a video of him playing or needs a simple question about his strings answering.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
^^^I agree that that's pretty ridiculous. Hopefully this thread will bring enough people to the forum to get threads other than SRV ones going.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
does anybody know what exact gauge his strings were?
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
Weren't they something ridiculously high like 16's? No wonder why he superglued his finger tips...
I may have to do that.
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
remember; if you're going to try using 16's, you have to tune down quite a bit, otherwise itll destroy your hands and youll have a really hard time bending.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WdFBzOzkcFs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eoIrNh8LCTY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f_gp1ZpUj3c
http://youtube.com/watch?v=E2jFgVBaOQg

im currently reading "Caught in the Crossfire", a bio on SRV's life, it really makes his music better knowing the little things. i recommend this book to any SRV fan.
Blues are easy to play but hard to feel.

-Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by blakehendrix at Sep 4, 2007,
^ Im gonna start reading that after I read Tale of Two Cities for School.

And he used 13s the majority of the time.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
He custom ordered .13s from GHS (maybe?). redwing explained it very well in a previous thread.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by blakehendrix
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WdFBzOzkcFs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eoIrNh8LCTY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f_gp1ZpUj3c
http://youtube.com/watch?v=E2jFgVBaOQg

im currently reading "Caught in the Crossfire", a bio on SRV's life, im proud to say i know a lot about him now, it really makes his music better knowing the little things. i recommend this book to any SRV fan.

Hey, I'm reading that too! I'm only half way through though. Great book.
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'

Quote by blakehendrix

im currently reading "Caught in the Crossfire", a bio on SRV's life, im proud to say i know a lot about him now, it really makes his music better knowing the little things. i recommend this book to any SRV fan.

Already read it, about 3 or 4 times or so.

Fantastic book, deffiently one for all.
Quote by FenderWh0re
Hey, I'm reading that too! I'm only half way through though. Great book.

did SRV actually say whats in your sig? i just wouldnt think hed call someone a pussy lol.
Yeah where did u hear that quote ... becuase Ive seen him use a Les Paul so I couldnt see him saying that.

Phish - Waste
i remember when i had guitar class in school, my teacher put on a video of SRV live somewhere, and pretty much everybody didnt care or thought it sucked. ive never been so mad at them. there were a couple kids who liked it. prolly just didnt like his style of music or something. but still, i dont know how you can not think he's good.

so basically me and my teacher just talked about him and the video. my teacher is a great player him self and he plays all the good stuff and knows a bunch if SRV songs.

that class was dumb. another time he put on jimi hendrix and they were like "this sucks, it all sounds the same."
hey guys, he really did say that, haha, its in that book im reading, see read the book!!! he really does say "thats the pussy way" but theres a lot of stuff yous dont know about him that would suprise you.

-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by IrishBlues
Yeah where did u hear that quote ... becuase Ive seen him use a Les Paul so I couldnt see him saying that.

its in the book "Caught in the Crossfire"

-Jimi Hendrix
How about the man's tone? Purely amazing.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
His tone is absolutely amazing, its one of those tones that you can distinguish just when you hear it and say "thats SRV"
^^I know the feeling. My girlfriend thinks im crazy when i distinguish a guitar player by his tone and phrasing before the vocals ever come it.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by blakehendrix
hey guys, he really did say that, haha, its in that book im reading, see read the book!!! he really does say "thats the pussy way" but theres a lot of stuff yous dont know about him that would suprise you.

Ok good, cause I knew it was something like that. I was thinking of a good quote for my sig and that came to mind, but I couldn't find it in my book and just guessed and I was right. Anyway, I thought the quote was hilarious.

I also thought it was rather impressive he jammed with Albert King as a teen and held his own. I'd be so nervous to play around him.
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'

Quote by FenderWh0re
Ok good, cause I knew it was something like that. I was thinking of a good quote for my sig and that came to mind, but I couldn't find it in my book and just guessed and I was right. Anyway, I thought the quote was hilarious.

I also thought it was rather impressive he jammed with Albert King as a teen and held his own. I'd be so nervous to play around him.

i was suprised that he was like backstage of a hendrix show at 13? i mean his brother opened for hendrix at like 17 or 18 and hung out with janis joplin. but yeah id be afraid to play with albert king too but i wouldnt refuse.

-Jimi Hendrix
so whats are some other cool unknown things youve read about SRV. im interested to hear them.

or what anybody knows for that matter
Quote by Playdoh14
so whats are some other cool unknown things youve read about SRV. im interested to hear them.

or what anybody knows for that matter

He grew up in a black ghetto. He hung out with hippies. But if I tell you all the things, whats the point of reading the book?
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'

I heard that after age 23, he put cocaine in his drinks, does anyone know if this is true of not?
I was reading once that he went to visit a young kid that had a deadly disease in a hospital. He went and saw him, gave him a guitar lesson and gave him his favorite hat. The child ended up being burried with it.

Phish - Waste
Didnt say i wanted to read the book, just wanted to hear some interesting stuff.
When I was at Guitar Camp a few weeks ago we watched a DVD of him and I gained a whole new admiration for him.. never really actually listened to him up until now.

Can't remember what video it was, but he was getting booed between songs for some reason.
^^Live at the Montreaux (sp?) Jazz Festival in 1982 is what you heard. They were booing probably b/c they were used to quiet blues played by black men and some unknown white kid came in and cranked it up and they didnt know how to handle it. He was there again in '85 and they loved him.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by IrishBlues
I was reading once that he went to visit a young kid that had a deadly disease in a hospital. He went and saw him, gave him a guitar lesson and gave him his favorite hat. The child ended up being burried with it.

That's the kind of heartwarming stuff I like to hear. The fact the kid was buried with the hat shows you how much the visit meant to him, too.
Quote by Playdoh14
Didnt say i wanted to read the book, just wanted to hear some interesting stuff.

Ok, but you should really read the book, its worth it.
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'