i really dont see why people have such a problem with these amps (valvestates in general, new ones not older ones). Ive had one for about 2 months and never had a problem with it. It sounds good, has a good range of effects and goes easily lound enough for me to play live.

If there had to be even one little niggle it would be that it doesnt have quite enough distortion for really heavy metal playing, but that was easily solved with a D7x which i already had.

I might add that i got it for $900 (aus) on sale, so i saved about $500. and that this is an upgrade from a behringer v-amp ( my first amp)

Basicly what i want to know is, is there anything really bad about these amps that someone can actually point out and not just go 'OMFG he bought a vs what an idiot theyre so crap!!'

thanks
Guitarist for Adelaide Post Hardcore band Emerald City EmeraldCityAU

Playing a Fender Blacktop Tele through an Orange Dual Terror and 2x12.
Valve state isn't that bad, it's just halfway between having a solid state and having a tube amp. it's just not quite there yet it costs the same as some tube amps do.
^ try some expensive tube amps cranked, and then go back to your valvestate.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
YOu can get some okay tones from Valvestates, the thing is that for the same price you could have gottne a really ncie tube amp.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I just don't like cheaper Marshall amps. I can stand hybrid amps, but the AVT is a different story. It's tone just brought back a few too many MG memories.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
^Well actully they aint cheap either! They costs liek their tube amps, and for the price of one you can easly pcikup a used JCM800 or JCM900.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

The problem with them isn't the sound, it's the price. They're simply not $600 amps.
I liked my AVT for the first few months too, until I played a Mesa Mark IV.

It's probably not a good idea to play any expensive tube amps, that was my mistake. After that, I didn't like my AVT at all. Maybe the 275W version is a lot better, but I had the 100W AVT, and I couldn't get a great tight metal tone that I liked no matter what I used in front, or on the loop. It was my first "real" amp though, so maybe I just didn't know how to dial it right too, but I tried a lot of stuff before giving up on it. Different OD and dist pedals, multifx, tube OD's, etc..., and nothing worked for me. I could get decent sounds at low volumes, but as soon as I tried to crank it to play in a band, I got dropped right out of the mix. I couldn't hear myself even standing right in front of my speaker. This was with a drummer, bassist, and another guitarist. I tried cranking the presence, mids, raising it off the floor, etc.., everything I could think of short of mic'ing it, and it was futile. We didn't have a PA to try anyway. Even when I could dial in a tone with pedals that I thought was usable, the best high gain sounds I could get were lifeless and had no edge at all. Everything was mushy and flat sounding to me after trying the Mark IV. The guy I sold the AVT to is happy playing classic rock with it though, but it's his first amp too.

This is really all just opinion though. If you like the amp, that should be all that matters. Odds are your taste will change, but until then, enjoy it. I have a friend that has been playing for almost 20 years, and that bastard could make a shoebox sound good. I'm a firm believer that good fingers can make up for a lot of tone, but I wouldn't expect miracles.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^ exactly. I liked my avt when I joined. But when I tried to boost it with a pedal, it sounded like crap- the sound cut out, etc. I made a thread on here (that may have been why I initially registered, lol), and after ages of no-one answering, someone said "maybe that's because it's not all-tube".

So I tried it with a tsl, and sure enough, it boosted it fine. Now, the tsl isn't amazing, so I still wasn't really annoyed with my tone, i just wished I could boost- since I couldn't get enough gain (so I thought- it's actually more that the amp just sucks).

Then I got to thinking, well, if I'll fork out for a TSL, maybe I'd better try some other tube amps too. This was my downfall. As soon as I tried an Engl Powerball, the writing was on the wall for the AVT...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Actully AVT's would be nice if they were cheap, but as siad, tehy jsut aint worth the hefty prize you pay!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I dont this threadstarter boy has tried a valve beast!

Be kind to him gentlemen, he'll soon learn.
its not only that but i didnt want a stack or a half stack, i just wanted a combo , ive played enough different amps to know that it isnt all that bad, and like i said, $500(aus) off.

+ i wanted an amp to play pretty well anything.
+ its the 150 watt model and i have a behringer cab and a laney cab lying around.
and this was an upgrade from a behringer so i think regardless of anything its an upgrade.
+ i might add that the prices are in australian and that where i come from most decent tube amps cost about $600 more than what i wanted to pay.

still keep the comments coming, it helps alot.

Last edited by .:Metal Boy:. at Jul 26, 2006,
i think people over react when they hate things,

but seroiusly, they dont sound awful, ive heard worse amps, but ive also heard better. If you like it, then yay for you, theres no point in trying to argue it. So stop preaching how you like it to convince yourself that you made a good buy, YOU LIKE IT, GOOD FOR YOU!

however, i dare you to try a marshall 900 or 800, or any other all tube marshall for that matter for a week and then go back to your AVT and see if you can be completely happy with it then.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
ok, i will, but.... how much do they cost.....in australian.....for a head and cab? bothe first or second hand....