ehm yeah,

hi there. so what I´m trying to do is a extreme metal band like arch enemy for instance. one problem is to find people that wanna make the same kinda music. but that´s not that important for now, cause in the end I can still start a solo project to make my own music. and that´s where the real problems are. I don´t really know how to write riffs and I don´t know how to write lyrics. I wrote sum lyrics and riffs but they aren´t as good as I want them to be... the problem may be a lack of theory, cause I can play... at least rhythm guitar. (playing for 1,5 years now)

so if you got ideas or maybe even want to do an inet collaboration... let me know. I´d be gratefull for every advice, idea wutever.
Dude....1.5 years of guitar and you're already 'trying' to play speed metal like Arch Enemy? You'll lose bad dude!!

No offence, but speed metal is WAY outta your league!
well - dude - you can´t tell if I´m able to play that ****, cause you don´t know me and you don´t know how I play. So don´t think you can tell me, that I´ll lose.
but thanks for the impression...
I agreee with him. I've been playing a year and a half and I have a hard time with punkrock. I would say the 3 year mark for speed metal.
k, hi,

so I don´t know how you learned to play guitar, but I´m not that typical guitar student that learns every ****, you barely need. I learn to play what I want to play and if you really had problems with punkrock after 18 months, what songs did you play?
Chill out. You probably can play the music you want but anyway thats not the resonon you started this thread because you wanted some help coming up with riffs and stuff. But i do have to say even tho im not that experienced at guitar but tht **** you barely need is what would most likely help you with ur music writing.

With the lyrics part i dont know anything about it I would normaly make a chord progression up then sing along to it to see what fits.
I've been playing for 4.5 years, and I couldnt play things like Master of Puppets or solos until recently. What you should do is really practice a lot, work hard with the songs you want to learn, and with practice, you'll learn them.
hm...

the first guy, that really answers to my question, so thank you for that.
maybe I really have to learn that stuff and I´m already trying to. you know, I´m still learning pretty much every day and I don´t think it´s gonna be easy, but I got an aim and I´ll try to reach it as best as I can.
btw. I never said I want to play speed metal...but who cares?
sry, I never wanted to sound offending, but I think you got me wrong. see, I don´t want to play hyperspeed-metal-solos, I want to play what I CAN play, like the rhythm guitar of Arch Enemys "dead eyes...", which I definately CAN play, and if I sound offending right now I´m really sorry.
The best way to get good is to play many different styles: classical, grunge, speed metal, hard rock, alternative, folk, etc. That way you learn all the different styles of picking and playing. Just a reccomendation.
^ knows whats up, i've been playing for 11 years and the one thing i've learned is to play a variety of music to get the best experience, it really does incorporate into metal, metal is basically either classical or blues based, classical relates to things like flamenco, plain ol' spanish guitar, european style classical like bach and chopin, russian folk music (most regional based folk music is actually a type of classical music), blues based relates to country, blues, R&B, jazz, funk and so on..... but even blues has classical music roots so even blues relates to classical. after all this rambling my advice is to keep going, i was playing for a bit longer than you have been before i started going fast (and about 7 years ago i broke the sound barrier and figured how to uber shred cannibal corpse style)
Exactly, z4twenny. I think it's better to be good at everything than to be great at one thing. If you practice everything evenly, you could be really good at the end.
even more so at that, once you get great yer great, it doesn't really matter what style you're doing.... er well except for flamenco and really in depth fingerpicking stuff, you really need to practice awhile to get stellar at that, but at the same time i would recommend practicing fingerpicking along with yer metal stuff (a really excellent fingerpicked part in the middle of a brutal metal song can sound like heaven) i practice fingerpicking at least 20 minutes a day and although im no paco de lucia i'm better than a lot...... another recommendation is to find places to use styles you wouldn't normally, like a rippin' solo in the middle of a country tune or a classical bit in the middle of a blues song, you can really tweak the vibe when you do things like that. i personally have tried to incorporate everything into metal to give each song a distinctive style
well, when i wasnt in school (for summer and stuff), I'd spend all day (I mean ALL day, like 5-6 hours) playing when I didnt go anywhere for the day. I've had a lot of practice in these 4.5 years, lol. All you need to do is stick with it.
Quote by napalmband
sry, I never wanted to sound offending, but I think you got me wrong. see, I don´t want to play hyperspeed-metal-solos, I want to play what I CAN play, like the rhythm guitar of Arch Enemys "dead eyes...", which I definately CAN play, and if I sound offending right now I´m really sorry.

that happens when pretention is bigger than curiosity

well, my advice for you, listen to all kinds of music(classical, blues, jazz, country) maybe you could find a muddy waters(by example) riff and change it to make your own, change the beat, play it a whole step down, add some other notes, be creative
Inquisitor of the zeppelinism church, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Member of UG's VIVA MEXICO CLUB

Quote by Aidy Damage
I'm a sweet transvestive from transexual Transylvania
Quote by napalmband
k, hi,

so I don´t know how you learned to play guitar, but I´m not that typical guitar student that learns every ****, you barely need. I learn to play what I want to play and if you really had problems with punkrock after 18 months, what songs did you play?

That **** is prolly theory, and that's why you can't write good riffs, cuz you dont know what the **** you're doing, you're just playing by numbers
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Quote by napalmband
k, hi,

my question for you would really be, what exactly would you learn that you would barely need?? i use everything i've learned constantly arpeggios, taps, chording, slides, bends, texas stlye bends ala dimebag, pinches, natch harmonics, hammer ons and pull offs, fingerpicking, chicken picking, palm muting, jazz/off time playing, playing staccato, odd tempo time sigs, glass slides, metal slides and any combination of all of the above..... using this stuff in any style of music can definately add alot of personality to something that would otherwise be somewhat boring..... seriously what would you consider to be un-useful in playing? this i wanna hear.....
Quote by z4twenny
^ knows whats up, i've been playing for 11 years and the one thing i've learned is to play a variety of music to get the best experience, it really does incorporate into metal, metal is basically either classical or blues based, classical relates to things like flamenco, plain ol' spanish guitar, european style classical like bach and chopin, russian folk music (most regional based folk music is actually a type of classical music)

Can you point me in the direction of some entry-level classical stuff (pieces or lessons) I can use to help improve my metal lead? I use a lot of Diminished scale stuff, but other than that I'm uncertain when it comes to getting those classical sounding notes.

Thanks

Oh, and if you reccomend any fingerpicking stuff, make it easy - I've not done a great deal.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!