Hi

I dont really know much about these things, but I want my guitar to basically stay in open tuning when I'm gigging because I hate re-tuning in the middle of my set, sometimes after every few songs.
Is a locking nut the answer? As far as I know, you put them on the nut and they keep the guitar in tune right? I play a Vintage SG.

Any advice would be much appreciated. ie. Is it a good option, how much £ would it cost me? Does it make changing strings a nightmare? etc.

Cheers
Last edited by Dollars & Cents at Jul 25, 2006,
nope its not the answer. unless you have fine tuners on the bridge side (which you dont with a hardtail) you'll basically be locking you guitar out of tune, with no way to fix the pitch because the nut clamps the string at the nut. and tuning it perfectly then locking it doesnt work, because the locking mechanism isnt perfect and will send your strings out of pitch during the locking process.

try locking tuners + graphite or lsr roller nut. or just rub pencil led in the nut grooves.

edit: typo
When you clamp the strings, it bends the strings and makes it go sharp.

hmm, how about a junk vintage trem with locking tuners? will that work?
yep locking tuners are the way to go, possibly have a look a graptech earvana compensated nuts, for that extra stability.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
yep locking tuners are the way to go, possibly have a look a graptech earvana compensated nuts, for that extra stability.

Earvana compensated nuts arent really for tuning stabilty rather intonation when playing open chords up high on the fretboard
Actually,

USE A FRGGIN STRING RETAINER BAR FOR GOD'S SAKE, IT'S THERE FOR A REASON.

It is to keep the strings below the nut so the strings won't go shreap when it's clamped.

So drill 2 holes, install the bar, install the nut, clamp and hey ho.
Quote by Invictious
Actually,

USE A FRGGIN STRING RETAINER BAR FOR GOD'S SAKE, IT'S THERE FOR A REASON.

It is to keep the strings below the nut so the strings won't go shreap when it's clamped.

So drill 2 holes, install the bar, install the nut, clamp and hey ho.

umm you do realise you gotta route for the locking nut unless you like substantially high ass action. and sometimes you dont need a retainer bar if the headstock is past a certain degree
1) It's him who wants to install a locking nut
2) He has a vintage sg, and last time i checked, no, the headstock is straigh, not slanted or anything.
3) he wants to install a locking nut, there is always routing needed, might as well drill holes for the retainer bar if he is going to do it
As far as I know, gibson (and ripoff) headstocks are tilted backwards. And he was asking if a locking nut was the answer. Clearly it is not. I would recommend an LSR roller nut and a set of quality locking tuners. Or, since an SG doesn't have a trem, just a better nut, and make sure you're getting at least 3 winds around your pegheads. You don't *need* locking tuners.
Hi, I'm Peter
actually i always thought gibson headstocks were at 13 degrees or something like that or was that my imagination. and yes i realise your not installing it so no need to point out the obvious.
Quote by Dollars & Cents
Hi

I dont really know much about these things, but I want my guitar to basically stay in open tuning when I'm gigging because I hate re-tuning in the middle of my set, sometimes after every few songs.
Is a locking nut the answer? As far as I know, you put them on the nut and they keep the guitar in tune right? I play a Vintage SG.

Any advice would be much appreciated. ie. Is it a good option, how much £ would it cost me? Does it make changing strings a nightmare? etc.

Cheers

Please don't **** up a vintage SG! (Sorry for the swear mods, I had to do it. Do whatever you want to a modern one, but, don't touch the vintage models.)
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
I have carpal tunnel, caused by profuse masturbation.
gawd, that's gonna get sigged...

Jesus for president, king, emperor, vice president, chairman, prime minister...ect. PM Cashewchaching to join the campaign. or just sig it.
Modding the vintage models actually devalues it FYI.
Just so much as changing the tuners or nuts makes it worth much less, unless the tuners are super expensive platinum made whatever or the nuts are super super high quality.