Sorry guys I had this in the GG&A forum but got only one reply and probably should have posted here in the first place anyway, here's my post and thankyou BBMrule for your reply over there too.

"The time has come to upgrade the pups in my Epi Les Paul Standard. I'm kinda leaning towards Seymour Duncans as I love Slash's tone but they are by no means the pups I'll get.

I'm after both bridge and neck pups that will compliment each other and are reasonably versatile. My needs for this guitar are hard rock to metal, Led Zep, Guns N'Roses to Metallica, Black Sabbath. I'll be running it thru a JCM2000 TSL601 and soon, a Maxon OD-9.

I'm really not fussed on which manufacturer or if they are identical to the above mentioned music, a good allrounder I guess. I will be getting another LP soon which will get a vintage kinda setup so this one now would be more a metal setup eventually but I would like to stay with passive pups. I just want you guys to recommend some to check out if you wouldn't mind."
Dimarzio vintage outputs are the way to go for old age rock through metal
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
if youre rich, look at bareknuckle pickups, they have excellent pups from vintage to passives that **** all over emgs.
seymour duncans are really good
but if youre definately not gonna beplaying lead you may want some emgz?
if youre getting seymours then maybe dimebuckers...they have reallyhigh output made for distortion.
-jordan
whats your budget? maybe you should actually get a real gibson since the alder in your epi certainly wont help for a thick tone
I'm looking at AU$400ish for both pickups and as for the real Gibson, well maybe oneday. $800 for the guitar and $400 for new pups is still less than half of what a Gibson LP is gonna cost me, you'd know as well as I do that Gibsons cost you an arm, leg and first born child down here. The Epi I have is about right for the money I wanted to spend.
Metallica mostly uses EMGs (JH's has EMG 81 (B) and 61 (N), and KHs had dual EMG 81 Actives). I'm getting two EMG 81s as soon as I can save up. Another Metallica or heavy metal feel pickups are the Seamore Duncan Dave Mustaine pickups, but those probably cost a bit, lol. The EMG 81s are $99 each at guitar center.
Quote by xguitar_masterx
seymour duncans are really good
but if youre definately not gonna beplaying lead you may want some emgz?
if youre getting seymours then maybe dimebuckers...they have reallyhigh output made for distortion.
-jordan

No. No. No.

EMGs are NOT what he wants. Why would an all-out active metal pickup suit the needs of a guy who asked for a passive pickup for playing Zep?

Dimebuckers are the worst pickup Seymour makes. Seriously, I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Dimebuckers BLOW.
Any suggestions Danno? He is right though guys, I think the EMG's are a little too metal orientated for me. Yes I will be playing some metallica but also a lot of hard rock, plenty of old school. Basically versatile, highish ouptut pickups.

I just don't know where to start and there's so many to choose from.
Well, Dave won't agree wtih me, but I like the Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, paired with a 59 in the neck.

Otherwise, the Custom 5, Custom Custom, Duncan Custom are good.

For a real Pagey tone, look into Gibson BurstBuckers, overpriced though they are.
i would definetly recommend seymour duncans. he jb's are really good. i have a real gibson lp with one in the bridge. it sounds really good, crunchy, but really deep zeppelin type of sound. for the neck-probly one of the sd customs.
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.