8 14%
9 16%
3 Good if your budgets small
14 24%
3 5%
5 Awesome Amp
9 16%
Voters: 58.
I just bought the spider II for $190. I figured it was a good deal because it has decent effects and a 75 watt speaker. For the price it sounded like a good practice/small gig amp, but I recently became aware that the spider amps are recieving alot of bad crits. What do yall think about them and why? Rate them with 0 being crap and 5 being awesome.
it depends on if you like them being digital or not, my friend loves em, but i think they're just ok, it's all your opinion, tone is subjective
this is going to be an interesting thread.......*sigh*

I'd personally arte them about 3 and thats being generous, they're ok amps but seriously nothing special.......they distorted channels sound pretty sterile and the effects just get on my nerves, the way you have to turn them off everytime you change channel......as 15 watt practise amps they're accepatble but for me theres no point in getting a bigger one.
For home practice at bedroom levels, it's suitable, although still nowhere near being the best at that. For any other application, it's pretty much useless.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I don't even use the preamp settings, except the reverb (which sounds great imo). I only keep it on a tweaked clean setting, and use my GT-8 for the rest. The distortion sound like controlled noise imo and it's way too digital for my taste. The preset clean has some drive on it, too, so you might wanna tweak some of the settings.

I don't really like it, but it's made from Celestion Speakers so I guess it should be good. 1 out of 5.

EDIT. It sounds like crap at the fourth volume dot.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
People are just idiots, yes if you want to spend $500-600 you can have a great tube practice amp, but as you said you paid $190. My friend has the same amp and I think it's the best practice/small gig amp for the money. I have played on marshalls, crate, b-52, and a peavy. I own a 150W Spider II Head into a laney 4x12 and I love it. I guess it's about preference. When it comes to value and what you are getting out of an amp I feel that Line 6 is on top. Some people just like certain tones (ex: marshall's boxy sound), I like a brutal tone and Line 6 delivers it perfectly for me. Until I have $1000 to buy a tube head, I can say that I am very happy with my Spider II.
I also wanted to say if you don't know the Spider's inside and out they are useless, unless you play with the settings and read the manual you wont understand how to set it up. (You can set the channel volume on every preset so you dont have to adjust anything) Yeah they are pretty digital but they do good simulation jobs.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
All solid states suck, period.

No

I don't really like them. They have a really sterile clean sound, and the distorted sounds are just so overly digital you can't really use them at all. They're better than people give them credit for, and I'd take one over, say, an MG, but they are pretty mediocre amps.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
for the money, it's not a bad amp. they're loud, all the shiny knobs and LEDs look cool. and the blues channel actually sounds pretty good if you tweak the EQ and effects.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
For the price, did I get a good deal? I mean, its 75 watts which is loud imo. And why are analog effects considered so much better than digital? I mean, it sounds like a stereotype people have developed and that most people just follow along with. I honestly don't know though, so please give me your thoughts. I mean, I could return it for full price and get another amp, but what could I get that would even compare in volume and number of options?
it is a good deal for the price. i wouldn't return it. don't let anyone here change your opinion. if you're happy with it, then go with it. it's your amp.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by Ihearthetfield
All solid states suck, period.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that blanket statement. There are a lot of excellent solid state amps out there. It's the sub-$300 models equipped with tons of effects, etc.. that noobs always get (and that flood the market) that suck, and sadly, it's the ones all solid state amps are judged on.

It's the same for BC Rich guitars. NJ, USA, and Custom BC Rich are some of the best sounding and playing guitars on the market (if you like those odd body shapes). However, they flood the market with their low end Bronze and Platinum series, and that's all that most people have experience with. And sadly, those guitars are ALL shìt, and that's what BC Rich gets its bad rep from.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
1/5, they are digital and sterile, and why do you need 75 watts? are you in a band? 50 watts is fine for small gigs and jamming and 75 watts isnt too great for practice, you have to have it on like 1 or less. you shouldnt get an amp because its loud and has effects, quality>quantity to a certain point, and onboard digital effects are almost never that good
Quote by swifty8083
People are just idiots, yes if you want to spend $500-600 you can have a great tube practice amp, but as you said you paid $190. My friend has the same amp and I think it's the best practice/small gig amp for the money. I have played on marshalls, crate, b-52, and a peavy. I own a 150W Spider II Head into a laney 4x12 and I love it. I guess it's about preference. When it comes to value and what you are getting out of an amp I feel that Line 6 is on top. Some people just like certain tones (ex: marshall's boxy sound), I like a brutal tone and Line 6 delivers it perfectly for me. Until I have $1000 to buy a tube head, I can say that I am very happy with my Spider II.

Instead of a Spider II, I'd say just get some sort of MFX processor and use headphones/computer speakers for practicing, and when you're playing with a band, hook it up to the PA. Used GT-6 is probably about 200, they retail 300.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

I hated mine, glad I'm rid of the box O' crap
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
They're ok for metal on a budget, that's all.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Terrible, terrible amps. The effects are useless as you can't blend them with a clean signal or anything. The flanger sounds worse than a cheap Zoom multi fx, and the chorus is lifeless. I was gonna finish slating it but you can see where I'm going.
I have one but going to buy a new tube combo. The Blues, and, Crunch channels are worthless. But you can get an ok clean and Metal setting with some tweaking. But the tone isn't all that great maybe at first, but then you realize. Personaly I have fallen for tube tone. So its a good amp on a short Budget. The Effects are decent.
I don't know what I saw in the amp to begin with....oh yea I do, a grandmother with a full bank account and a salesman telling me it's a great amp for metal......
hmm i played a Spider II 150w halfstack at Guitar Center for a couple minutes, i really liked it. I liked the effects, and i thought it was a real good deal for a 600 dollar amp. I gotta go back soon and decide between the Crate GT120 something or other and this. For 190 dollars, thats a good deal, especially for 75 watts.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Dont listen to these tone nazis, i had the chance to use a 30watt one recently, and honestly i was truly impressed. IMO, it had a great sound for metal, and the clean tone was nice. Also i like the fact i can program 4 differnt channels, and switch between them. Loud also. Try one out, u may like it, u may not, but know this, its a GREAT deal, and they give a clean sound with high distortion with the noise gate. Im gona buy a 75 watt one, for 199, u cant beat the price.
Last edited by dagget at Jul 25, 2006,
Anything, bar a marshall MG, can beat it. You can get a cube for either 25 dollars more or 105 dollars less than the spider, for a killer metal tone from a solid state PLEASE do this. Don't torment yourself and become another poor soul to fall into the Spyder because of it's trendy knobs, colors, and channels.

EDIT, and to the smart guy wanting to get a spider head. You can get a used 5150 for less than 600 bucks. Peavey 5150, all tube high gain metal head or Spyder II, no tube solid state crapbox. Choose wisely.....
Quote by R_H_C_P
They're ok for metal on a budget, that's all.

I agree. If you use an MT-2 with them they give a very respectable metal sound. Other than that they're nothing special.

Yea, but for the price of an MT-2 and the spyder you could easily get a cube.
I just bought one a week or two ago. I brought my pedals over to the store and sat down for about an hour and a half and just played around with it and I absolutely loved it. The presets, as many already mentioned, aren't amazing but they're good enough to use as a cornerstone for whatever tweaking you want to do. If you play the clean channel into a decent effect pedal or the $125 pedal that you can buy with it you can get any sound you want. Don't let the people here change your opinion.. I've read countless reviews and its either you love it or you hate it, and if my guitar teacher whos been playing for 30 odd years says its decent for its price then who are you going to believe. A bunch of 15 year olds who seem to latch onto everything someone else says and refuse to actually sit down with it and give it a shot, or a licensed professional.

I'll choose the professional.
I'll say it again, for the price of the amp and pedals to make it usable you could get a cube or other BETTER solid state amp that won't need pedals ect. I've owned a spyder, loved it at first, but then after time came to hate it. I couldn't even play distotortion on it I hated it so much.