Are there any free mixers that u can get online in order for me to mix recordings that my band has done? I have a recording system and i can alter the volume of each individual track on the program I'm using, but can someone define mixing (the definition is somewhat unclear to me) and recommend any free track mixing programs, if any?
No I don't want to play your guitar... I might light it on fire.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Audacity. 100% freeware. Has tons of effects like pitch change, amplify, phaser, and many more. And the ability to have multiple tracks to mix together. really easy to use as well.
Last edited by OpposingForce at Jul 25, 2006,
Sony Sound Forge, or ACID Pro, I beleive are two that are very professional, just, they're only free trials for 30 days I think, but you can fix thatby buying the program.
i have audacity, it seems to lag on my computer, like the guitar tracks will always be offbeat from other ones even though im playing right on, but what IS mixing actually, I have a Toneport UX2 and a use Ableton Live 4.1.5 as my recording gear, but want like the ability to mix.
so can someone define mix for me?
mixing is just adjusting the levels and overall sound of each track to fit in with every other track...
when you mix something you make everything the level that you want to hear it at..
does that help?
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Boss TU-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss OD-2
Boss TR-2
Boss RV-3 (best pedal ever!)
Boss BF-3
Line 6 DL4
Peavy Delta Blues 2x10
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Blues Junior
I have found that the way around the "lag" in Audacity is to use it to generate a click track, and then play all your parts in time to the click track, meaning everything will get off time with the click track, but at the same rate. So when you're done, you delete the click track, and boom, all your tracks are in time.
Try download.com,There are two freeware programs under Audio Software.
Mental Transmissions
-Coming Soon to Podcast-
Email:MentalTransmissions@gmail.com

Quote by Dudage

SPELL SOME WORDS.
It doesn't take that much effort to write out words in thier entirety.
d00 u undrstnd wht 1'm s4ying 2 u?

#3 - UG Evanescence F-Club
Quote by Kidzelda
I have found that the way around the "lag" in Audacity is to use it to generate a click track, and then play all your parts in time to the click track, meaning everything will get off time with the click track, but at the same rate. So when you're done, you delete the click track, and boom, all your tracks are in time.

Seems like a great idea, but do you sing to the metronome too?

To try to give a better answer to Hammet, mixing pretty much everything done to edit the audio after you track it. That invloves basic "mixer" conrols you're used to such as levels and pan, as well as digital effects added afterward like a bit of reverb or EQ to individual tracks. You also may want to master your final mix, which involves limiting among other things.