I heard that if you have light stings and switch to really heavy strings you might have a problem with your neck. I also heard the word "intonation" thrown around with this subject. I am going to be experimenting with strings soon but don't want to until I know what "Intonation" is. I guess my question is:

1. What problems might I have in doing a big change of gauges?
2. How would I fix that?
3. What is intonation?

I have been playing for a year and don't know about this stuff.

Edit: I just noticed I screwed up the title...
Last edited by KaMiKaZi90 at Jul 25, 2006,
1. What problems might I have in doing a big change of gauges?

Heavy gauge strings put more tension on the neck of your guitar and could cause the neck to bow. To change this you may need to adjust your truss rod. Also if you have a Floyd Rose style bridge then you will need to tighten the springs in the back of your guitar and possbly add further springs to increase the tension

2. How would I fix that?

I think I answered that, be careful with your truss rod. Go get a pro to do it your unsure as you could potentially snap your neck.

3. What is intonation?

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/intonation.htm
Yea, that pretty much sums it all up
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
What guage strings would cause the bowing/intonation?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
What guage strings would cause the bowing/intonation?

You'll probably find that small changes in string gauge will not cause you too many problems but if you're going from 0.08's to 0.13's then you're going to need to re set up your guitar; it will be obvious when you need to change your set up though.
I wouldn't if you haven't messed with it before, take it to a shop. If you must though, search UG or google.
Quote by CodySG
I wouldn't if you haven't messed with it before, take it to a shop. If you must though, search UG or google.

I will just take it to a shop if I have a problem. I am not making a HUGE change in gauges though. Going from .9 to .10 so I think I will be good. Just making sure I have everything I need in case I go up higher.
You shouldn't have to mess with it at all if you're just going up one gauge.