which single-coil set would you recommend for getting a good bluesy yet rockish hot sound out of a strat? I've sort of narrowed it down to Fender hot noiseless and Fender texas specials...but I'm open to any suggestions at all
Last edited by dsotm_alex at Jul 25, 2006,
I don't think any Lace Set does blues particularly well. They're geared more towards either hotter Strat sounds (Red) or vintage Strat sounds (Gold, Hot Gold, Blue, Silver). I think he'll want something "overwound" with more midrange. I tried a Gold in a few different positions on a Strat, and it's glassy, but doesn't have any bite or balls.
Hi, I'm Peter
another thing I was just looking into is the David Gilmour EMG set thats already prewired to the pickguard and has the EMG-EXG and EMG-SPC knobs on it... anybody have any idea if thats any good?
I just ordered a set of SD pickups. Dave is really helpful in aiding you find the right kind of pickups

Other good hot pickups are Texas Specials. I thikn the fender SCNs are good too .Probably better than the noiseless ones.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by kanamvar32
I just ordered a set of SD pickups. Dave is really helpful in aiding you find the right kind of pickups

Other good hot pickups are Texas Specials. I thikn the fender SCNs are good too .Probably better than the noiseless ones.

I've been thinking about getting a set of the SDs for a custom build I'm doing later this year. What kind of application are you using yours for?

I'd love to hear sound clips when you get them.
Hi, I'm Peter
Get an SC-sized humbucker or an SC-sized P90 for the neck.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by StaggHound
Get an SC-sized humbucker or an SC-sized P90 for the neck.

Psssst...P90s are just really big single coils...so they would just be getting a single coil...
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Psssst...P90s are just really big single coils...so they would just be getting a single coil...

Damn, my bad. I was sure that the you could get a P90 in SC size. Must be thinking of overwound singles.

But I maintain, a humbucker of some description in the neck is the way to go.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
does anybody own or has anybody played the David Gilmour EMG set? I've read alot of good reviews on it and I'm interested to know if it's any good