Hi all, yeah well i can play guitar pritty well on my own, but the other day i went to my mates house for a jam and i just cant keep in time i dunn how to do it i just understand the concept at all doesa anyone have any tips on how i can solve this issue. Thanx
yeah, what he said. drums help too.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
spellcheck and punctuation helps us to help you.

You could use a metronome. You can find them pretty much anywhere online, just google it. There's also a built-in one in Guitar Pro and Powertab.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
i would definitely go with the metronome. they're getting cheap, and some are even free.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Always tap your foot while playing. Even (ESPECIALLY!) if going off on a noodly solo. And when jamming with others, tap your foot to the beat (normally laid down by the drums and bass. You'll just get into the habit of playing everything to a rythym.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Metronome as everybody else has and will say but also try playing along with CDs and stuff to get used to playing with a song.
It might also be partially because of the other guy so suggest these things to him too.
Conceptually you're breaking 1 beat up into 1 or more sections. Initially get a metronome and set it to a slow click (about 60bpm) set it up to play 4/4 rhythm if you can then practice playing one single note on the click, make sure you count this as:

Once you're comfortable with this try splitting one beat into two by playing one note on the click and one note between the click. This is counted as:

1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4

Each count should be on the beat and each 'and' should be between the click.

To play three notes per beat you can use:

Tri-pe-let, tri-pe-let,tri-pe-let,tri-pe-let

the Tri falling on the beat, the other two between the beat, I'd try just saying it first then playing it once you've got it.

Finally for 4 notes per beat you can count again:

1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a 1 e and a 2 e and a....

I think you get the idea, and this should get you into the habit of playing in time.