Are There any other modern day funk bands except RHCPs mainly?
Originally Posted by filthandfury

haha

I congratulate you good sir on being EPIC.
If you go listen to bands like Incubus' old stuff,(really old stuff i.e. fungus amongus & enjoy incubus) they have some funk based songs such as azwethinkweiz.
Well, if we go back to the early 90's, you get Fishbone (though slanted towards ska) and fIREHOSE (on the jazz punk end of the spectrum), both sporting funk influences. And there's always Outkast...

Its best to look away from the better known groups if you are looking for modern alternative funk or funk.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
The first 2 Incubus albums are strongly funk influenced. Same with Mr. Bungle's self titled album. Faith No More is another great example.

And Yertle brought up fIREHOSE, who I've been listening to almost exclusively lately.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Check out the recommendation thread, there's a few mentioned in there that are definately worth checking out.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
yea i like firehorse a lot
chucklehead is pretty good too, and fredalba but i guess theyre more hip hop than funk
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
Without Parliament or Funkadelic there would be no RHCP. Look into them.

Other notable mentions:

Kool & The Gang
James Brown
Ohio Players
The Gap Band
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
Quote by ToBeAGooner
RHCP are not funk. End of story.

The new stuff (1999-present) may not be very funky, but the older stuff (1983-1995) is heavily funk influenced.
Quote by ToBeAGooner
RHCP are not funk. End of story.

You be smoking crack son.
Word.
Quote by trickie
You be smoking crack son.

When they started out, MAYBE. They have a funky song or two, but do not fit anywhere near the category of funk music.
Quote by ToBeAGooner
...but do not fit anywhere near the category of funk music.

Umm, no...just no
www.bebo.com/Re-Ascension - my artist profile! Alternative Rock!

XBOX Live Gamertag: christophe245

Quote by purplegreendave
I like the way 3 of the tags on this video you found are:
gay anus sex

Not that I'm implying anything - far be it from me to judge
Quote by 01chardw
Umm, no...just no

Whatever, RHCP are to funk as white people are to Reggae.

Being funk influenced and a funk band are completely and totally different things. Pick up a Parliament cd and get back to me.

http://www.globalfunkradio.com/

Become enlightened as to what funk music actually is.
Last edited by ToBeAGooner at Jul 28, 2006,
tobeagooner is right. rhcp are not true funk. they have a huge funk and punk influence but they are not pureley funk. i'd say maybe theyre first 2 albums could be considered funk but even then it was funk rock.
Quote by jazkel24

Quote by ToBeAGooner
Whatever, RHCP are to funk as white people are to Reggae.

Being funk influenced and a funk band are completely and totally different things. Pick up a Parliament cd and get back to me.

http://www.globalfunkradio.com/

Become enlightened as to what funk music actually is.

Sounds like somebody hit up a Parliment 2 for 1 cd sale and thinks he knows what funk is.

Pick up a couple RHCP cd's listen specifically to Fleas basslines and then get back to me.
Word.
Does it honestly matter if they are pure funk or rock funk? Are we becoming the next metal forum nazis but in the modern rock forum?
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
Quote by FenderWh0re
Does it honestly matter if they are pure funk or rock funk? Are we becoming the next metal forum nazis but in the modern rock forum?

no. its not like we are completely seperating them into different genres. it'd be impossible to do that to the rhcp since their style has changed so much and would be hard to classify them. i just saw it as a (hopefully friendly) argument debating whether someone whould consider them funk or some other genre. and again, its just someone's opinion its not like its going to change the world or more importantly what genre a band is considered.
Quote by jazkel24