this is two different questions in one thread i didn't really want to just go posting a bunch of threads at once.

my first question is what are some good metal songs, about intermediate difficulty, in drop C(not C#) that i should learn. whether its new or old doesn't matter. just anything.

my second question is concerning sweeps. i just wanted to know maybe a step by step process that i should start with because its so overwhelming. i just don't know where to start. should i start with learning arpeggios? the technique? i don't know if once i learn the technique that i am going to be stuck because i don't know arpeggios.

please help me!
any help is greatly greatly appreciated. thanks guys.
heh. as much as i begged. i know lots of SOAD stuff. thank you though.

where should i start with arpeggios? should i start studying more theory?
Quote by indiecult99
this is two different questions in one thread i didn't really want to just go posting a bunch of threads at once.

my first question is what are some good metal songs, about intermediate difficulty, in drop C(not C#) that i should learn. whether its new or old doesn't matter. just anything.

any bullet for my valentine song is fairly easy and im petty sure all of there songs are in drop c
im not gonna bash anyone. but like im sort of aiming at like more strict metal stuff. like brutal stuff. maybe even speed stuff.
Hmm...
Drop C...

I dunno if ur into these guys, but Killswtich Engage have some killer riffage, and Shadows Fall use that tuning also. I'm not particularly familiar with a lot of bands that use that exact tuning...

Also, Children Of Bodom has a few songs off of "Hatecrew Deathroll" that uses that tuning (like "Sixpounder"), as well as most of the songs on "Are You Dead Yet?".

well start with the technique, its no use knowing the arpeggios if u cant sweep... id start with just an easy major arpeggio and just concentrate on your technique and syncronizing your left hand with your right hand
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
first off. thanks a bunch to Shreddin, thats exactly what i was looking for. thanks alot. you've got taste.

and to n0e, thanks also. kinda points out a good view that i haven't really thought of haha. keep it comin though guys. this is helping me alot. thanks. to everyone.
Brutal like metalcore?

As I Lay Dying
God Forbid (their newest album is in drop c i think, the others are d standard)
Rain to the Sound of Panic by Himsa is easy
Darkest Hour (but not really brutal)
check out some dream theater stuff- 'as i am' and 'in the name of god' both are- and they're not impossible.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
check out some dream theater stuff- 'as i am' and 'in the name of god' both are- and they're not impossible.

Aren't those in standard down 2 steps (CFA#D#GC) & not drop C (CGCFAd)?...
try some simple arpeggios like this to start with
e----------------7-h-12-p-12------------------------------------5-h-10-p-5-----------------
b--------------8------------------8------------------------------7----------------7-------------
g----------9------------------------9------------------------7----------------------7-----------
d--------9------------------------------9------------------7----------------------------7-------
a-7h10-----------------------------------10-p-7-5-h-9--------------------------------9-p-5-
e---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing that really helps with sweeping is making yourself extremely familiar with the shape that you want to sweep and start off slow and accurately!
this could be a very n00b thing to say but i always thought that like to improvise sweeps and throw things together like you needed to know alot of theory and to be able to apply it like quickly enough to improvise.

wrong? right?
keep it coming. the help is so good.
thanks everyone.
Quote by bandgeek10
arpeggios are just playing 1, 3, 5, 8, 5, 3, 1 off of any scale.

Hhaha. Is that so? Every SINGLE kind is the same thing? Interesting.
Quote by indiecult99
this could be a very n00b thing to say but i always thought that like to improvise sweeps and throw things together like you needed to know alot of theory and to be able to apply it like quickly enough to improvise.

wrong? right?
keep it coming. the help is so good.
thanks everyone.

Well, this is not necessarily true, although it is a good idea.
As long as u know the chord progression really well & know the corresponding arpeggios to sweep along, u can "improvise" sweeps.
Basically, improv sweeping can be say, starting a sweep with a chord and adding some notes in between with the corresponding mode to create that kinda feel. It takes a lot of practice & it's something that I've been trying to get into myself!

Also, u can be sure that not all arpeggios are a major arpeggio & come back down to where u started. In fact, not all arpeggios are even sweeping!
(check out Yngwie Malmsteen's "Molto Arpeggiosa" or the video that goes w/ the theme "Arpeggios From Hell")

Last edited by Shreddin 4 Life at Jul 26, 2006,
a metal band with Drop C tuning -

In Flames
Arch Enemy
Children of Bodom
Morbid Angel (on a few songs like "Blood on my Hands")

and most "brutal" death metal bands like Nile use Drop A tuning
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Last edited by axe_grinder247 at Jul 26, 2006,
okay it seems like uve gotten quite a bit of responses for drop c tunings soo...sweeping...

1) just try gettin the feeling of sweeping-mute the strings with the left had and sweep pick the strings BUT make sure to keep the tempo even, so practice with metronome if u need to
2) start of with simpler arpeggios-dont try the 5 or 6 string arpeggios just yet, or the ones that require you to play two notes per string, try the most common 3 string (E,B,G) arpeggios first and then move on to harder stuff
3) *this is very important*:keep practicing SLOWLY to sync up both hands- this may be very difficult at first, but later becomes more natural, just practice, practice, and practice some more
4) after you have the basic techniqe going, try some harder things- arpeggios that include 2 notes per string(usually played with hammer-ons so the pickng doesnt change), "rolling" your fingers while barring (takes a lot of time to get right, but keep trying), and something that i found a bit difficult- changing arpeggio shapes at different places not jus the top string or the bottom strings of the arpeggio
5) finally just have fun with it, dont kill urself trying to accomplish this in one day, cuz im telling you now, you wont, it'll take some time so just practice and practice
p.s. -check out PicknGrin's guitar videos, i believe one of them features a sweep picking lesson
-peace
BREAKING BENJAMIN = drop c

new stuff is in A i believe.

CANT WAIT FOR THE NEW ALBUM....8/8 FACE YOUR FEARS!..."PHOBIA"
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Quote by tubab0y

Dream Theater doesn't play in drop C, and that's not what he is looking for. I would definetly say go with Arch Enemy or God Forbid.
Few things:

He said metal bands. So dont list your metalcore or BFMV.

now onto Sweeping: If theres any technique you shouldnt rush to learn, but instead be patient with, its sweeping. I HONESTLY dont respect any guitarist who practiced sweeping WITHOUT a metronome. tbh, ive yet to find one who hasnt used on learning sweeping . START VERY SLOW, and start with one hand, preferably picking hand. Go at 40 bpm quarter notes doing JUST the picking to get the picking even and the right hand technique down. Consistency is key, and make sure your practicing the technique RIGHT, because you're half screwed if for a few days you've practiced hard the wrong way. Once you feel comfortable doing say.. 8th notes at 120bpm going up and down all 6 strings: start doing 3 string sweeps (AGAIN, very slowly!), probably 1, 5, 8's as thats your powerchord shape and it should be easy to start on. then maybe 1, 3 , 8's / 1, b3, 8's, etc. Just do that for as long as you're patient enough to do it.

Once you feel mildly comfortable, you can move on to 4, 5, 6 string sweeps, but try to stay in the under 100 bpm doing quarter notes for the first few weeks. You'll thank me later, as it does LOADS for your technique.