Hey guys. I have been lurking around here the last few days and thought I would post and get some opinions. I am interested in taking up the electric guitar. I am in my mid 30's and will basically be a beginner as I have not played any to speak of since I was 11. Even then, I took a few lessons, learned a few chords and strummed along with my Dad and his friends on an acoustic. I would really love to get so I could play an electric fairly well, I always have wanted to, but never devoted the time. I will be teaching myself so hopefully that won't hold me back to much. I would like to stay away from the beginner packages and get a guitar that will last me a few years maybe longer. I am sure if I ever get pretty decent that I may want to step up to a top of the line model. This is just something I would like to do sitting around the house and what not, no gigging for me. I have a fairly broad range of musical interest. I love the old 70's rock (eagles, CCR, steve miller band, etc.) and I also love a lot of more modern rock (guns and roses, tesla, greenday, korn, disturbed, nurvana (sp?), metallica, acdc, etc). After reading a lot of posts on this forum I am thinking about the following package form musiciansfriend.com. My local shops are way to high and don't want to deal at all. I know you guys have to get tired of all of these posts but I would really appreciate your opinions and guidance. Please let me know if I am on the right track or where you think I could and should improve. Here is what I looking at getting:

Epiphone Vintage G-400 Electric Guitar Worn Brown
Roland micro cube
Musician's Friend SG Hardshell Case Black
And of course picks and a cable

Thanks for any help you can give.
Sounds good, unlike alot of begginners you have enought to get a decent start, go for it, Cubes are great, not sure about the Epiphone, mabey consider a Fender or Ibanez?
That sound's like a pretty good setup to start from.

If you were able to actually test the stuff out at a store before you bought it online, that would be even better because it's mostly about preference but looks good to me.
mmmk.
Roland Micro Cubes are awesome little amps. My teacher uses his and it gets a great sound.

I've never played a G-400 but I've heard good things.

Case is always good.

Picks and cables = good too.

Later down the line you will want to look into effect pedals also. If you don't know what they are at the moment, don't worry. Good luck and enjoy playing guitar.
I think for classic rock I'd consider the Vox AD15 or AD30 instead of the cube. Not that the Roland is bad, only that it suits metal better while the Vox seems better voiced for classic rock.

I think that's a heck of a starter set. I've played consistently for 15 years and would play that SG anytime.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
actually i suggest you buy a delay pedal, that will really get you going on the 70's rock, infact it will get you going on anything because they're great
Definitely skip the epiphone. The tuning stability is horrible. The mex-made fenders are decent guitars in the same price range, and a fat strat (HSS) is about the most versatile guitar there is. That should match the versatile cube, which is a good choice.
Sounds good, I'm teaching myself and i don't think it really holds you back, as long as you devote time to it. Epiphone guitars seem to fit into you price/quality, how about looking at a les paul if you are into the old style rock?
Quote by Mudder
I think for classic rock I'd consider the Vox AD15 or AD30 instead of the cube. Not that the Roland is bad, only that it suits metal better while the Vox seems better voiced for classic rock.

Good point. Actually, vox just came out with the DA5, which is basically an AD version of the microcube, and its just a couple bucks more. Look into that.
i'd be careful with the epiphone g-400. there isnt much neck thats connected to the body so if it takes a dive then you maybe screwed in snapping it. just a warning though. ive' had a vox AD50 and its great i just need more wattage. the nice thing is it has all the different amp styles and effects built in. it can go from classic rock to heavy korn sound in a couple clicks. epiphone les pauls are great fro the price and the neck is adhered furthur into the body. ibanez is also good for starters. if you are interested i have a great near mint ibanez GAX75 for sale with a drop tuner on the E string for dropped D or C tuning. Otherwise its sound like a good start.
Wow. Thanks for all of the quick responses guys. i will check into the alternate amp. I have really struggled with the guitar decision. I am probably 50% classic rock 50% Heavy/Metal. It seemed from my reading that the lower priced les pauls were not quite as good as G-400. Can anyone recommend one? I kind of stayed away from the Fenders on purpose. There is a little more the story which I didn't feel like typing in the first post but here goes. About 8 yrs ago I thought I was ready to finally take up the electric guitar so I went to a local shot and bought a new MiM Stratocaster. Now I have told you my limited experience with guitars but I did have my dad and another friend play it and we thought it played horribly (buzzing etc.). Took it back to shop and they tuned it supposedly and still the same thing. I ended returning it and upgrading it to an American Strat. I played it on and off for a few months as my wife was about to have our first child and I was building us a new home. Due to the baby, home, and general lack of time, I sold it thinking I would never get the itch to play again. I was and still am very much a beginner's beginner. It just has not come easy to me, but hopefully I will turn the corner this time. Anyway, given my above experience with the MIM Fenders I am not sure I want another one and given the rest of that story, I am not sure I want to sink the money into this deal to get a an American Fender. Granted my life has slowed down a lot since my last small attempt, but still have quite a few other hobbies. I really, really hope I can finally learn to play but you never really know. But if the fender is the right choice, I guess I can always bite the bullet and do it. I have been to every shop and pawn shop in this town and have picked up quite a few guitars, but not really being able to play I am not sure it has helped. Thanks.
So you guys are saying one of these two vox amps right?

Vox DA5 Guitar Amp
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT 15W Guitar Combo
You don't have to get the fender because some guy on the internet said so, the best thing to do is make a list of all the guitars you're interested in, which it seems you have, then just try them out for feel/look and see how they suit you. I think the guitar you've chosen is a good choice, personally and if in the future you decide you want a strat also, then that option is always available.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by whitlecj
Wow. Thanks for all of the quick responses guys. i will check into the alternate amp. I have really struggled with the guitar decision. I am probably 50% classic rock 50% Heavy/Metal. It seemed from my reading that the lower priced les pauls were not quite as good as G-400. Can anyone recommend one? I kind of stayed away from the Fenders on purpose. There is a little more the story which I didn't feel like typing in the first post but here goes. About 8 yrs ago I thought I was ready to finally take up the electric guitar so I went to a local shot and bought a new MiM Stratocaster. Now I have told you my limited experience with guitars but I did have my dad and another friend play it and we thought it played horribly (buzzing etc.). Took it back to shop and they tuned it supposedly and still the same thing. I ended returning it and upgrading it to an American Strat. I played it on and off for a few months as my wife was about to have our first child and I was building us a new home. Due to the baby, home, and general lack of time, I sold it thinking I would never get the itch to play again. I was and still am very much a beginner's beginner. It just has not come easy to me, but hopefully I will turn the corner this time. Anyway, given my above experience with the MIM Fenders I am not sure I want another one and given the rest of that story, I am not sure I want to sink the money into this deal to get a an American Fender. Granted my life has slowed down a lot since my last small attempt, but still have quite a few other hobbies. I really, really hope I can finally learn to play but you never really know. But if the fender is the right choice, I guess I can always bite the bullet and do it. I have been to every shop and pawn shop in this town and have picked up quite a few guitars, but not really being able to play I am not sure it has helped. Thanks.

Go into your nearest guitar store, try guitars out and then pick the one you like. If the price is higher than on musiciansfriend.com, don't buy it in the store and get it on musiciansfriend.
Sent from my iPad.
it is just me, but if I were going to get an SG I'd shoot for the Gibson SG faded or special addition, whichever is cheaper. That way at least you are getting US electronics. I imagine the downside of the G-400 just like any other Epiphone is the electronics.
-Epiphone Riviera w/ Bigsby and Gibson 490r/498t combo
-Epiphone Es-333 Delonge Edition
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
The more I read the more it sounds like in the long run I would be better off just buying an american guitar and getting it over with. I posted this on another forum and I have not gotten glowing reviews on the epi in either place. Wow this is tough. I have also seen the suggestion regarding the fat strat in several place. I really want what ever I get to be flexible for my preferences in music. Now my head is spinning again. Please keep the suggestions coming though. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about it to make this decision on my own. Thanks a lot.
I wouldn't stray from an Epiphone just yet. I still have my first guitar whcih just happened to be an Epiphone (2000 Les Paul Studio). I believe starting out, your ears won't be able to distinguish any difference between an Epiphone and Gibson product. Just as long as you've messed around with it in the store, and it feels good in your hands. I never liked the feel of an SG, the Les Paul just felt better. I'm sure the SG will be a good choice to start on if you like the feel.

Not sure about the Cube, don't do what I did. I bought a small 15Watt Peavey to begin with, and after about 6 months of playing I decided I wanted a lot more. I ended up recently with a Vox AD30VT. Plenty of effects for the price, and the amp modeling is great for a wide range of music.

IF you continue to get the hunger, chances are you'll end up with more than one guitar anyways down the road, and can always get a higher end American model. My friend was able to talk his wife into 1 guitar a year, I on the other hand haven't been so lucky (kids have been more important). Good Luck with your choices and have fun.
Thanks for the response. I am sure you are right about me not being able to hear the difference between the epi and gibson. I just want a guitar the chords easily and plays well to learn on and use for a few years maybe longer. I am stuck trying to decide whether to go ahead and spend the money now and get a gibson/fender or going the less expensive route. I guess at least if I did get the gibson/fender at least if I ever decide it isn't for me I could recoup some of my losses by reselling a quality guitar, but I really don't want to enter with that mindset. Which Les Paul by Epi would be the best choice if I went that route? I held them both and couldn't tell a noticable difference, but I really didn't think about it either. Does the LP fit my style of music better? Thanks
hey ive been playing over 10 yrs and have a bunch of different guitars and amps.

for ur type of music u would probably best with a fender fat strat.

its got two single coils and a humbucker in the bridge for the heavier music.

in addition the vox da5 best for classic stuff, has 11 effects.
and the micro cube probably better for higher gain stuff. several usable effects.

if u try it out, u can find a very good mex strat.
in addition there are player deluxe MIMex, classic strats, all new from last year, all very good quality.

if u just hate strats, thats fine. there are plenty of HH guitars out there. will be ok, most of ur tone comes from ur amp anyway.

ur a starter and mex strats and epi g400s are intermediate guitars, and all u need.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 25, 2006,
if you are looking to get a great guitar for a decent price i would look into a epi les paul ultra. i own one so im biased but for the price and the sound its great. its chambered so its not so heavy like regular les pauls and that also helps in the resonance. the pick ups sound real good for an epiphone and it looks real sharp. if you can get to a guitar center anywhere around you you can try and haggle with them to bring the price down but they usually run abou $500. its not bad for a solid guitar and you wouldnt have to think about upgrading anytime soon if you start getting more advanced. id say get the VOX AD15VT as well. but all in all just go to the music shop and just play with every guitar you like thru the amp you want and let you ears and hands decide.
Update. I spent about 2 hours in a local store today and I think I am going to go ahead and bite the bullet and get a new Gibson. I am leaning towards the Les paul Special but I really like the SG's also. Which is the best bang for the buck and is this the right choice for my music preference. I am probably going to head back to the store in an hour or so. Thanks
Oh, while I was at the store, I tired Ibanez, fender, and gibson. I wan't crazy about the necks on the ibanez oddly. I have small hands but it felt a little to small. I liked both the fender and gibson necks fine. Thanks
I'd recommend an ibanez sz320 with a pickup switch. I am getting the EMG active 81/60 set, 81 for heavy metal, 60 for clean. They sound beautiful!