Ok, so I know a fair amount of theory, just not for guitar, as I've been playing piano and cello for a few years now. I don't know waht the shapes are specifically, and I thought it was just starting on each note of the scale, like in a minor shape 1 starting on A, shape 2 starting on B, 3 on C, etc., but that would mean 7 shapes, so what do I have wrong?
I'm pretty sure there are 3 shapes. There's the first, the minor third, and the fourth.

In the key of A minor, it's Amin, Cmaj, and Dmaj. I think... It may not be D major, but I know that Cmaj and Amin have the same notes.

EDIT: SD, I think he means the different scales you can use to play an A minor scale.

EDIT 2: Here's a really basic way to get the different shapes:

e|x|-|-|x|-|x|-|x|
B|x|-|-|x|-|x|-|x|
G|x|-|x|-|x|-|-|x|
D|x|-|x|-|-|x|-|x|
A|x|-|x|-|-|x|-|x|
E|x|-|-|x|-|x|-|x|

Every two x's in a row is a shape... it's kind of hard to understand, I guess.
Last edited by n0selfesteem at Jul 25, 2006,
EDIT: Ah yea, well, this applies only for minor barre chords

Well, theory is the same for all instruments, it doesnt matter what your playing Its how you apply it.

The most simplist Minor shape for a chord, is a minor barre chord, and they follow this "shape":

e|---|-X-|---|---|
B|---|-X-|---|---|
G|---|-X-|---|---|
D|---|---|---|-X-|
A|---|---|---|-X-|
E|---|-X-|---|---|

So if i wanted say, an Fm barre chord, i would play this:

e|--1--|
B|--1--|
G|--1--|
D|--3--|
A|--3--|
E|--1--|

I hope that answered your question If it didnt, ill try help more if i can.
Been away, am back
Well I myself don't know exactly what a scale shape is, but I've heard it mentioned a lot on UG. Also, I know the theory is the same, it's just that there's no different fingerings or anything like that on piano, and that cello has its own set of stuff. Anyway, I'd like to know what the five shapes I've heard references to are. Thanks n0selfesteem, that's kinda what I was looking for, and Logz thanks, but I knew that and it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.
Quote by grampastumpy
Well I myself don't know exactly what a scale shape is, but I've heard it mentioned a lot on UG. Also, I know the theory is the same, it's just that there's no different fingerings or anything like that on piano, and that cello has its own set of stuff. Anyway, I'd like to know what the five shapes I've heard references to are. Thanks n0selfesteem, that's kinda what I was looking for, and Logz thanks, but I knew that and it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

You probably want to find out more about the CAGED system then:

http://www.tonydesmarteau.com/caged.htm

For a basic idea of what it is.
Well, I was talking about scales, and I partially knew that, but it helps anyway, so thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just noticed the scale thingy. That should help and from there I can just make it minor.

Re-EDIT: Seems I didn't quite get that CAGED thing, since if they're all supposed to be scales for C, why does the A one have a Bb in it and stuff.

Anyway, would saying boxes work better and get me better answers? Should I just take the minor pentatonic boxes and fill in the missing minor scale notes?
Last edited by grampastumpy at Jul 25, 2006,