I was wondering a few things about my practicing that I thought I might be doing incorrect or something. If I could get any responses I would greatly appreciate it.

Is it wrong for me to practice a solo or any specific thing for a long time? I read alot of posts that say that hours of practice plus a metrenome will help when learning something thats fast or just about anything. I just got into using a metrenome and i see a difference in which I move up anout 20 bpm every day (don't know if "bpm" is the right term....) where I can play this solo i'm learning perfectly. The thing is I'm practicing it at least 5 hours a day for the last 2 days.
So I'm wondering if it's less productive or more productive to practice something one hour or two hours a day more than practicing something 5 hours a day or more.
I really want to learn this solo thing but I feel like maybe I should work on other things as well, like scales or another solo.
Like I said any responses would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. sorry but i forgot to thank the people who answered my last post. So thank you, it was very helpful and my improve skills are alot better along with my knowledge of scales. Peace Out
The quantity of your practice is far less important than the quality of it.

If, in those 2 hours you're aware, concentrated and motivated the results are going to be positive. If you're sitting there playing your guitar for 2 hours without any real conviction you're kidding yourself if you think you're going to make any noticeable progress.

Once you know how to practice, the quantity of time you practice each day becomes irrelevant because you're enjoying it, and you're enjoying the results.

By all means practice other things - don't exhaust yourself on one piece. Have patience and lick will fall under your hands. Pressurising yourself to nail one particular lick without correct practice isn't going to do you any favours.

So, yeah - it's about how you practice, not how long.
Hey thanks for the comment, that really makes sense, Well now I just have apply that. Appretiate the help.
random question about legato, but it is a question of practice because i'm not sure how i should go about playing it...the first exercise in Speed Mechanics shows a chromatic scale played entirely with legato i.e. 1h2h3h4 on all the strings and descending...now, when descending, should the fingers be kept down while performing pull-offs, or should they be taken off? it seems a bit awkward to individually take off the fingers while pulling off

for example, should i keep them all down and pull off one by one and move to the next string, or should i only keep down the anchoring and pulling finger?
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by axe_grinder247
random question about legato, but it is a question of practice because i'm not sure how i should go about playing it...the first exercise in Speed Mechanics shows a chromatic scale played entirely with legato i.e. 1h2h3h4 on all the strings and descending...now, when descending, should the fingers be kept down while performing pull-offs, or should they be taken off? it seems a bit awkward to individually take off the fingers while pulling off

for example, should i keep them all down and pull off one by one and move to the next string, or should i only keep down the anchoring and pulling finger?

For that excercise, I personally keep all my fingers anchored. It's just a situation that calls for it, for me it calls for all your fingers to be anchored - when it's a simple passage like that it's far more effecient for them all to be anchored, and the fluid sound you get re-inforces it. It's not a passage where not anchoring would be beneficial to a point. Of course, not anchoring would be beneficial if you were practicing a different method.

Course, there's times when the passage won't call for every finger to be anchored, and in that case I'll only anchor the necessary fingers, it helps maintain a fluid and relaxed motion through the picking hand where the next note is more easily available if your fingers aren't anchored, but in the Speed Mechanics example I find it logic to keep my fingers anchored.

Though that's not to say you can't do it any other way, you should be proficient in both methods, as you never know what the situation is going to call for.
ok thanks, i was doing that, i just wasn't entirely sure because in the beginning it says to focus on taking your finger off while the next one comes down...since i only find this to be helpful when picking or performing the hammer-on sequences, i kept my fingers anchored because it feels more natural and fluid like you said...thanks again
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.