Is it worth buying a Warmoth clear glossed swamp ash strat body for about $340US or just getting a StewMac unfinished swamp ash strat body for about $180US... I've never painted a guitar before, nor do I have any clue how to do it, and I'm just wondering if it's that tough or expensive to do that it's worth an extra $160
It'll cost a lot less than that to do it yourself, a lot less.

Search the internet on clear coating, try Reranch.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Swamp ash is very very very porus wood, it'll suck finish up like no tomr. It's also very opened grained, so if you're going to be finishing a Stew-Mac body make sure you pickup some grainfiller. Depending on what color grainfiller you use, your best would probaly to go the epoxy route; the stew-mac waterbased filler sucks for that application, it's runny and thin.

You'd have to basically grainfill 3-4 times, knock back the hard epoxy after it cures (24-48 hours), shoot 4 sealer coats of vinyl sealer, then do your 16-18 coats of clear with sanding with 220 grit ever 7 coats to knock back orange peel and the last 4 coats are to be knocked back with 400 grit wet between every single coat. Then you'd have to let the clear dry a good month before you even think about buffing it. The buffing comes and you'd have to knock back the orange peel with 1,200 grit, buff with fine grit compound, switch to swirl remover, wax it and clean it.

And that's the readers digest version of how i'd finish that body. Are you up to it?

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
^Hey Algee, what ever happened to your perma-ban?
Don't be afraid to care"

I got unbanned because UG & The Tavern basically worked out the differences we had and now we're kind of working together instead of against each other. Plus me & Chris(Wahappen) are cool now. We worked out our personal differences aswell.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
^Glad to hear you're back.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by AlGeeEater
Swamp ash is very very very porus wood, it'll suck finish up like no tomr. It's also very opened grained, so if you're going to be finishing a Stew-Mac body make sure you pickup some grainfiller. Depending on what color grainfiller you use, your best would probaly to go the epoxy route; the stew-mac waterbased filler sucks for that application, it's runny and thin.

You'd have to basically grainfill 3-4 times, knock back the hard epoxy after it cures (24-48 hours), shoot 4 sealer coats of vinyl sealer, then do your 16-18 coats of clear with sanding with 220 grit ever 7 coats to knock back orange peel and the last 4 coats are to be knocked back with 400 grit wet between every single coat. Then you'd have to let the clear dry a good month before you even think about buffing it. The buffing comes and you'd have to knock back the orange peel with 1,200 grit, buff with fine grit compound, switch to swirl remover, wax it and clean it.

And that's the readers digest version of how i'd finish that body. Are you up to it?

Chris

now i can see why the cleared body is twice as much as a non cleared one.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Check out the Customising Gallery, the most recent post is of a seriously sexy explorer copy- swamp ash with a natural finish. You could ask that guy what he did, though i suspect AlGee's method is probably the best way to get a good finish on it
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile