I have been a rhythm guitarist for 3 years now, and the only thing that is holding me back from being lead is soloing. HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO IT!!! I know the major and minor pentatonic scale by heart but how do does it work and how do you make it sound great???
that's the thing, be original and creative, make it up, if it sounds good, you win
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Well, all you have to do is practice. What I like to do for learning solos is to do it a piece at a time. Often I'll cut out some unecessary notes. Then, after practicing enough, I'll play it with the unecessary notes. It's all just practicing.
Quote by leavemealone55
Well, all you have to do is practice. What I like to do for learning solos is to do it a piece at a time. Often I'll cut out some unecessary notes. Then, after practicing enough, I'll play it with the unecessary notes. It's all just practicing.

Everybody has their own techniques when learning a solo, what I do is memorize the notes, and then use a metrenome
I think the best way to think of it is that the solo is adding colour to the underlying chord sequence. So let's take a very simple chord progression:

C D G

Now a C chord is made up of C E G, if you were to play a B over this chord you would essentially create a CMajor7 sound (B being the 7 of the C Major Scale), because of this concept cyclic repetitive licks can often be used and not sound repetative at all because as the underlying chord progression changes so too does the actual sound being created.

Often though guitarists tend to use one scale, to play over an entire chord progression without thinking much about the unbderlying chords. The Pentatonic is a good choice here as all the offensive notes have been removed, play a few of your favourite Pentatonic licks over a chord sequence in a certain key and you're on your way to soloing.

Great solos have themes to them, so I would suggest learning other peoples first to get an idea of what's going on then move on to creating your own.
shok_411, I know I know nothing about what you just said, is it bad that I just read tab and learn tons of songs, and I dont know any of this cmajor aminor stuff?
Quote by shok_411
Often though guitarists tend to use one scale, to play over an entire chord progression without thinking much about the unbderlying chords. The Pentatonic is a good choice here as all the offensive notes have been removed, play a few of your favourite Pentatonic licks over a chord sequence in a certain key and you're on your way to soloing.

Great solos have themes to them, so I would suggest learning other peoples first to get an idea of what's going on then move on to creating your own.

Yes. This is good advice. Soloing is learning to use the scale for expression.
Eventually you come to realize that you can use ANY note you want to, but scales
give you the ability to do that skillfully.

Start simple. Blues is good for learning to solo becuase you can sound decent with
just the minor pent and you don't need to worry much about chord changes.

Another thing: get it out of your head that a scale is just an ascending and
descending pattern. You only practice that TO LEARN the notes and fingering.
Once you learn that, work on new patterns that hop all around the notes. Some
people think "practicing scales" is just going up & down. They do that forever.
That shows no concept of what scale practice is really about as that is only JUST
A START.
there isn't a real lesson or step to soloing. It's all about creativity and emotion. If you were meant to be a rhythm player, you maybe should stick with it.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
Well, everyone does have thier different way to it. I like to do it one way, other people do it differently. These are just suggestions, lol.
Quote by edg
Maybe you should stick with not posting useless and wrong answers.

How is it useless information? Are you implying that soloing doesn't take any creativity? If you don't have that, maybe you should stick to rhythm. If you're a good rhythm player, why try lead? A rhythm guitarist is just as important as a lead. BTW, you're not contributing in the thread in any way, so you're the one that should stop posting.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
I'm not that good of a lead guitarist.....but all it takes is one good arpreggio or a chord progression to make a solo then u can add like pinch harmonics and hammer ons and pull offs to make it mor interesting
get songs with very little soloing, stick em in your record player, and jam to them

thats the best way to get more feeling if you arent playing with a band i find
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

ok, first distort your guitar AS MUCH AS YOU CAN, then practice,( remember EVERYTHING sounds better distorted )
Quote by **punkrocker**
ok, first distort your guitar AS MUCH AS YOU CAN, then practice,( remember EVERYTHING sounds better distorted )

hahahaha, hells yeah! (this post served no purpose whatsover)
Quote by iam2phat
How is it useless information? Are you implying that soloing doesn't take any creativity? If you don't have that, maybe you should stick to rhythm. If you're a good rhythm player, why try lead? A rhythm guitarist is just as important as a lead. BTW, you're not contributing in the thread in any way, so you're the one that should stop posting.

Because it's NOT all about creativity and emotion. There is a LOT you can do to
LEARN how to solo well. Just because you can't happen to describe any ways to
help the guy out is not any reason to tell him to just give up -- or imply he HAS no
creativity or emotion. THAT is useless and wrong.

If you've actually bothered to read any of the replies, you'd see I've already given
specific information that would help this guy learn to solo. I would say that's
a contribution to the thread.
I do appreciate all this info, it has been very helpful. Everyone is good at something and I happen the be able to make up killer rhthyms, but i need a challenge in life and even if im not gonna be lead i still want to learn soloing. I have lots of creativity and lots of emotion to what i put toward the guitar, i just express it in different ways as you all do.