I don't think it matters. I play the first one though.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
Both are G, first one just sounds a bit more "complete".
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

My Gear :

-Peavey HP Signature EX
-Fender 100H(Head) + Fender FM412 (Cab)
-GBX Custom Bug
-Dunlop Wah Pedal GCB-95
-Marshall GV-2 Plus
-Boss CS-3
-Behringer Digital Reverb DR100
Quote by PayTheDues
Both are G, first one just sounds a bit more "complete".

Wrong. Almost right, but wrong. Whole 'nother chord. Look up a tab for "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, that lists all of the chords with their actual letters, and you'll see it's a different chord. But, if you write songs, use whatever the hell you want. You don't have to be a conformist puppet.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
I have carpal tunnel, caused by profuse masturbation.
gawd, that's gonna get sigged...

Jesus for president, king, emperor, vice president, chairman, prime minister...ect. PM Cashewchaching to join the campaign. or just sig it.
Quote by RelientKaddict
Wrong. Almost right, but wrong. Whole 'nother chord. Look up a tab for "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, that lists all of the chords with their actual letters, and you'll see it's a different chord. But, if you write songs, use whatever the hell you want. You don't have to be a conformist puppet.

I don't think that's right.

Both are a G Major chord. In the first one you're just adding the 5th but all the notes are still within the G Major scale.

I'm still learning theory but I think that's right.
They are both G major, they both include the 1st (G), 3rd (B) and the 5th (D), but the first has 3 G's, 2 D's and 1 B, while the second has, 3 G's, 2 B's and only 1 D, both are G major.
Look:

G B D G D G || G B D G B G
3 2 0 0 3 3 || 3 2 0 0 0 3