Page 1 of 5
ok so, i am making a guiatr from scratch. Comment me or give me suggestions, and i will update on my progress.

i started with a piece of mahogany, and made a set thru neck with that, then i got pieces of aspen,poplar,maple, and some really old walnut. and i glued each piece together against the mahagony, and pressed it over nite.

Then, i created my design. i'm really into medieval stuff, so that's what i was going for, and i cut it, and here it is...

after that i made the truss rod cavity on the neck, i also made an oak cover for it

i will update and post new pictures asap, please crit.. thank you
Dang man. That's really cool looking. I wonder how it's going to play and sound with all those different woods.
thats awesome it has a mandolin look to it... so how are you gonna route the electronics?
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
man that is awesome.
good luck with that!
it looks great.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Damn. That looks pretty awesome, hopefully should play as good as it looks. What kind of set-up are you going for on it?
Quote by Aftter-Forever
POLKA DOTS?!?!
well, that changes EVERYTHING!!!
lol it looks quite fun! what finish will you paint on it? if you cleaned the glue on it, and clear coated it as is, it could end up being amazingly cool!

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
lol thanks everybody, since i have a double humbucker les paul,im going for a 3 single coil set up, with a trem.
and yeah i love all the natural colors of the wood, so i dont think im gonna paint it another color. heres a new pic after doing the headstock and rounding the edges, today

later
Dammmmn good job on the headstock, that bottom part looks tough. Are you just going clear coat it and show off all your beautiful woods? Or are you going to paint it, and if so what color

And what kinda pups are you stickin in this baby?

Nice work
Quote by Raven
i would much rather go to the ****ing hospital and have them surgically reattach my penis instead of slap some silly puddy on there and call 'er "mangled johnny"
i love the look of all the woods, i know you say you're gna leave it natural, but, if you even think of putting any colour on it (though a stain may be acceptable) then i will come to your house and rob you of the guitar.

also, you say you're going to go S/S/S, why not H/S/H and coil split the humbuckers, if you went 3 volumes and a master tone (in a les paul style control shape) , and had push/pull pots for the 2 humbucker volumes, then you'd have all the versatility in the world really. thats what i'd do personally, but its your guitar man - have it how you want it.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Cool Headstock Buddy!
I really like this Idea, it looks great!
Can't wait to see the routing and stuff....
Will you slap a pickguard on it or will it stay as is?

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
How wide is your truss rod slot? It looks way, way, way to big in the pictures. Also traditionally using lots of different wood, without a main base sounds bad. BUT with the mahogany thru-neck it should have somewhat of a base to it, plus you used 2-3 other tonewoods, so that helps too. I'm very interested to see/hear how the sound turns out, looking at the woods and there placement I'm thinking some weird (and original, not nessecarily bad at all) tones coming out of it. This is either going to sound amazing or have lots of dead spots. I really hope it sounds amazing, because I like the look of it all.
Thats looking sweet man

Maybe a scroll or whatever its called would have looked better for the headstock, like on a violin or cello. Still looks good though.
Official member #3 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join. Luthier's only .
triple ss eh... sounds good... maybe put a plit coil humbucker on it for good measure... good luck... by the way clean the glue as quickly as possible for that beauty
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
holy crap, that's all i have to say is holy crap. (in a good way)
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Wow....

Is this your first build?...... I'll kill you if it is........

I'll also kill you if you paint it....... just clear coat it.......... damn it........
Quote by Vornik
There's nothing illogical about slavery.
.....................................................................................damn.........................................
i would say clear coat it if you can get the sanding burns off the sides. if you dont plan on resanding the sides i would say avoid the clear coat as it will look like hell. the body does look amazing tho. as for your routing i wont try to give you any tips as it already looks like you know what your doing. i cant wait to see how it looks finished. also do you plan to offset the bridge single or mount it straight across without the angle??
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Quote by ttk2skates
How wide is your truss rod slot? It looks way, way, way to big in the pictures. Also traditionally using lots of different wood, without a main base sounds bad. BUT with the mahogany thru-neck it should have somewhat of a base to it, plus you used 2-3 other tonewoods, so that helps too. I'm very interested to see/hear how the sound turns out, looking at the woods and there placement I'm thinking some weird (and original, not nessecarily bad at all) tones coming out of it. This is either going to sound amazing or have lots of dead spots. I really hope it sounds amazing, because I like the look of it all.

well that slot isn't just for the truss rod, theres an oak cover for the trust rod that fits right in there, so...
Indeed. I believe Zombat was the only other through-neck builder. That's only as far as I remember.
Looks like a lefty Carl Thompson almost...

IS it a lefty? could go either way i guess...

great design, love the layers upon layers of woods, really reminds me of CT's Rainbow bass.

If you would chisel at the parts of the body and headstock to do the "scrolls" like on a Cello/violin/contrabass etc., i'd love you to death

Please tell me you're putting a nice classy trem on it? Bigsby?

but seriously

any other plans we should know about? what do you plan on using this for?
This is a great looking guitar. I love the look of the body and the headstock. Great job, great design. Im kind of skeptical about the tone with all the woods like mentioned before, but I can't wait for this thing to get finished. You must post clips. Keep up the good work and good luck.

Have you thought about S-S-H for the pup config? You could always coil split the humbucker. And please leave this thing natural finish.
Beautiful... just beautiful...

but, i would say give it a little burst on the edges and the sides, because i'm nor sure how great the sides will look with just a clear, having all those strips of wood...

http://www.warmoth.com/paint/paint.cfm?fuseaction=dye_black 'standard burst-over' in a brown, red or black would look prety hot on the guitar, IMO.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Mellow Gold
Don't take this the worng way, but that looks like something Prince would play.

thats a very very good thing.
Official member #3 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join. Luthier's only .
Quote by Mellow Gold
Don't take this the worng way, but that looks like something Prince would play.

You know what, it does! Page, you should change your name to the shape of the guitar... c'mon, do it!
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
That is seriously, seriously nice.
since the blues mafia wont have me

founding member of ug blues rock and southern rock mafia pm me to join
absolutely amazing.
i agree with almost everyone else. leave it clear coat. besides the burns on the side its perfect. painting it would be sacrilage(sp?). im not really an expert of pickups but try the S/H/S. just a thought.

anyway keep up the good work and be sure to post sonudclips when possible.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
Page 1 of 5