This may sound Incredibly Stupid to a lot of you, but any feedback anyone could give me would be really appreciated. Ok, here goes.
I've been playing guitar for just under a year now, and I'd say I was ok. I can't do anything incredibly technical since I'm not incredibly interested in nailing a lightning fast steve vai solo or something, just making music.
Lately though, I've noticed I'm having a bit of a problem just improving and practicing effectively. I want to be able to write songs, but I find that really tough too.

It just seems like I have been stuck in a massive rut for the last couple of months and have only been making very slow progress. On top of that, I have a friend, who I sort of drifted apart from a while ago, who whenver I see him, just seems intent on boasting on about his 'jam sessions' and this new band he's in, which just makes me pretty frustrated as he's only been playing a little longer than me.

I'm just worried, that although I LOVE playing guitar, I'm just going to keep playing for the wrong reasons and I will continue to make no progress and be frustrated.

Can anyone give me any advice on how I could get out of this rut and start improving and enjoying myself as much as I used to.
cheers!
lol that happened to me. the best thing you can really do is just try and make up ur own stuff, or if that doesnt work, just keeping practising a really hard song with really technical bits, and ull get so incredibly pissed off that u will actually make ur own song. lol sounds crazy but it works
A good deal of what you really need to do at the beginning part of your guitar
experience is overcoming the physical barrier to playing. Learning to play
the "instrument that plays the instrument" which is your body. If you can
tackle that and meet it head on, you'll eventually find that you can play anything
you want given enough time. In the process, you may find you even enjoy
practicing. That's pretty much the key. Once you learn to enjoy practicing,
you can go where you want to go and you never really get into a rut.

If you continue with a haphazard approach. You may get some immediate
graitification from learning a bit of a tab here and there, but you'll make poor
progress, never get all that good, get in ruts all the time, and eventually probably
just give up out of boredom.
well ive been playing for five months and all i can say is learn to play songs to play songs you like because that gives a great sense of acomplishment... the way i write my songs(i play funk/blues rock/ little bit of alternative) is i just play randomly while just talking to friends and such every time i stumle across a good little riff i build upon and try to make a song out of it
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
well it doesnt have to be a competition, it is not like your playing your guitar for money and dont forget he reason you might of have started in the first place. Dont let everyone whos better then you get you down and let them make your goals. Do whatever you feel like, theres always a plan B.
Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art.

Tom Stoppard
Find an inspiration for playing, like I was also in a rut until I got back into the Who, and theat kept me aspiring to play with the intensity of Pete Townshend, which requires a passion and feeling for music. So discover something you're passionate about.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
I went through a stage like this just a little while ago. I think most musicians do, am I right?

You need to find a reason to play. Girls, money, the love of music, whatever. You need to find a reason to play. Whenever you're feeling down, discouraged, think of that, and play.

Songwriting is a process. It takes a lot of work. The first songs I wrote sucked balls. But the more and more I wrote, the better they got, and the easier the ideas flowed.

Also, try learning some music theory. If you know some basic music theory, not only will you see major technical advancement, but your songwriting skills will also shoot up.

Keep practicing, man. You will see results.
learn how to play your favorite songs on guitar through tablature. once you have that covered try to make up your own stuff along with it , like if there isn't a solo in it add one in just to give yourself a goal. The main thing is to not think about it like your in a rut but in the transition from average to preety good. Most guitarist go through this stage and many quit during it just focus on making stuff up and looking up tabs of songs you like
Rush Fan Club Member #13
you know im 19 years old, and im not good at anything...im decently smart, im in georgia tech, im ok at math. But i have absolutely nothing that can turn heads and make people say...damn he's good...when they look at me...

I've been playing the guitar for abour 7 months now, and I found I love it. My music knowledge isnt that great, I wish I knew more guitar artist, but I actually love playing the guitar, im starting to get into theory, I understand the circle of fifths now, and im beginning to try to memorize all the notes on the fret board.

Its about damn time I became good at something, and Im hoping that guitar will be something that I really excell in, although I think its still to early to tell.

I also have a friend up here who's been playing for about 5 years...and he is absolutely amazing. He can improvise like crazy, and play almost every solo to every song i know. It is absolutely amazing, but it pisses me off so much. Why didnt I start playing sooner? Everytime I see him play, or someone else play that is good it pisses me off.

All I have to say is, the angrier I get, the more motivated I get to become better. I dont think ive ever been soon motivated in my life
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
I also have a friend up here who's been playing for about 5 years...and he is absolutely amazing. He can improvise like crazy, and play almost every solo to every song i know. It is absolutely amazing, but it pisses me off so much. Why didnt I start playing sooner? Everytime I see him play, or someone else play that is good it pisses me off.

All I have to say is, the angrier I get, the more motivated I get to become better. I dont think ive ever been soon motivated in my life

Same with me. I onyl started about 3 years ago while my friend has been palying for like 7 years and he pwns me in every way, so I use my anger as motivation too.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687

That is something that I have thought about alot myself, although my situation was a little bit different. I got my first guitar when I was nine years old and couldn't even name two bands. I have no idea what provoced (sp?) my parents to buy it but they did after 3 months I quit. Now, many years later I have pulled it and my acoustic back out realizing how fun it would be to play guitar, and loving music as much as I do.

I am mad because I didn't start again sooner, the thing is though that i have been playing for three months, and am doing amazing (atleast I think so, and really all that matters) palying a couple of hendrix songs all the way through. I still get mad that I didn't start a long time ago or just never quit because if this is three months of work, what would three years, or five, or ten have done.
Seeing threads like "how long have you been playing" and a lot of people start late at around 17-20, im happy im in the same rut (as thread starter) at 14, means i got time to sort it out before i have to make the cut. but i still wish i'd started earlier. Im stuck too. but not on songwriting. I want smooth skills that take years.
Although it feels like your making short progress, you could be progressing fast but not noticing it. For example, you could be trying to learn how to speed pick, and not notice your vastly improving. I have been in ruts like that, but I just thought to myself "Stick at it, I will improve". So just stick at it, and for motivation, try playing along to songs after you've practiced to keep motivation high.