because i really want an sg and i played a 1200$ gibson sg and a 350$ epiphone sg and they were exactly the same, is it just that one says gibson?
Epiphone is an offbrand of gibson and generally just arent as high quality from my experience with them.
Go for the gibson, i've never been happier.

Got an SG, wine red... It's amazing.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
From what I understand, Epiphone is sort of a Gibson spin-off. Same with Squire and Fender. The products of the master companies (Gibson and Fender) generally have higher quality woods, pickups, etc. that those of the lesser companies (Epiphone and Squire)
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
What he said ^
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
gibson is made entirly in the usa.
epiphones parts are made in taiwan or some asian country and assembled in the usa or vice versa cant remember ?
gibson has better wood/finish
epiphone uses cheaper wood
gibosn pickups are to kill for
epiphone well from my experiene wanna make u kill
therefore go with the gibson, ull regret buying an epiphone
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Samick Corsair (custom evh paint job)
Bever Creek Acoustic
Boss DS-1
Behringer Bx108
Behringer Kx1200
Epiphones quality is all hit or miss. Some are great guitars, some are terrible. My 1999 Les Paul Standard (Epiphone) plays better and sounds better than any Gibson I've ever played.
My rig:
1999 Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Gibson electronics and Sperzel locking tuners
Ibanez RG470 w/ Floyd Rose (soon to be for sale)
Boss NS-1 Noise Surpressor
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Marshall MG100 1x12" combo
Epiphone is just a lower cost version of Gibson. They use cheaper materials, and therefore, don't charge as much. A good regular Epiphone will be about as good as a low end Gibson. A high end Epiphone Elitist will be on par with higher end non-custom shop Gibsons.

As for the SG's you tried, did you try them through a POS amp? Like...I dunno...a Marshall MG? If that's the case, go back to that store and try both through a good amp. You'll hear the difference. If you want an SG and are on a budget, look at the Epiphone Vintage G-400. It's good for a cheap SG. However, if you have $1200 for a guitar, go for the Gibson SG Standard.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
Epiphone is just a lower cost version of Gibson. They use cheaper materials, and therefore, don't charge as much. A good regular Epiphone will be about as good as a low end Gibson. A high end Epiphone Elitist will be on par with higher end non-custom shop Gibsons.

As for the SG's you tried, did you try them through a POS amp? Like...I dunno...a Marshall MG? If that's the case, go back to that store and try both through a good amp. You'll hear the difference. If you want an SG and are on a budget, look at the Epiphone Vintage G-400. It's good for a cheap SG. However, if you have $1200 for a guitar, go for the Gibson SG Standard.

i played it through a few vox's and and few marshalls i cant remembeer off the top of my head. and i want to go for the gibson but im a 14 year old without a job or any parent support so they wont let me work for them and i cant get a job so thats why i asked this because i was wondering if i can get the 350$ guitar is good or not
why did you bring this thread back man?

EDIT: Nevermind, sorry I'm tired...The $350 guitar, if it is an Epiphone G400, then it is worth it, but the pickups may need to be swapped...What kind of music do you play?
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Epi < Gibson
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Quote by ibanez_rocker
why did you bring this thread back man?

EDIT: Nevermind, sorry I'm tired...The $350 guitar, if it is an Epiphone G400, then it is worth it, but the pickups may need to be swapped...What kind of music do you play?

actually i forgot i posted this and then i found it again when i was browsing so i thought id take a look. im playing pop punk/ emo/ post hardcore/ screamo. and right now im playing a strat knock off and it sucks so im looking to up grade. yeah i was looking at an Epiphone G400. and the pick ups will be fine for a while they cant be any worse then what im playing now.
i have an sg (epi) and have played a gibson sg. for the money it isnt worth it. stick with the epi version. epiphone is just owned by gibson. epiphone used to be thier own indivdual comany but anyways, go with the epi.
i was planning on getting the epiphone because i dont have the cash. i played an epiphone and it sounded fine so im happy with it i just thought id make sure i wasnt going to make a mistake that would screw me out of 400$

thank you