Hey. Im in the process of designing my second pedal. Its going to be a booster/overdrive pedal. I need to know a few overdrive pedals that are smooth, and mild so I can check out schematics on them to help myself to get an idea of their clipping stage (the part where the overdrive is made).

I know about 75% or more of you will respond saying the Tubescreamer. I understand that the Tubescreamer is a great overdrive, but I want to hear something different. Dont go giving me the Boss Metal Zone either. I am looking for a smooth, clean/mild overdrive.
Boss Blues Driver?
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
I know what I want, and the differences. Im not buying a pedal. Read the whole thing. I am designing a smooth overdrive/boost pedal and I want names of overdrives not fuzzes.
A Fulltone Fulldrive is a good smooth overdrive that you might wanna look at schematics for, i imagine it wont be too hard to find, it is a boutique pedal.

Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde? I dont know about how it sounds, i just know its a decent overdrive. It sounds quite smooth when i have heard it
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Marshalls Blues Breaker ?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Takamine G Series 6&12 string accoustics

Marshall JCM 800 50w 1987 (4 input)
Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
^lol, he's already built one...

Boss blues drivers can be smooth and mild at low settings, but look at the other pedals people here have suggested.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
what my freind did was take the schematics for the preamp section of a fender twin and build a pedal based on that, itll take tubes but that is the best way to get smooth OD.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I just want to find the clipping stage of a smooth overdrive to see what I will need for it to be soft clipping and not hard clipping (hard clipping has no capacitors or resistors, and soft clipping does).

And IncubusMan999, boutique pedals have the hardest schematics to find. Its almost imposible to find schematics for Zvex pedals, Alfonso Hermida pedals (ZenDrive, Mosferatu), etc.

And Sl4Sh_Jr., I already built one, and it does have a lot of overdrive, and isnt quite smooth. But that still is a great pedal. I play through that everytime I plug in.
Last edited by call1800ksmyazz at Jul 26, 2006,
Zen Drive?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Well yea but like I said, theres no schematic around for that, so I cant figure that out. I live like 30 minutes away from Alf though so I can go rob the schematic.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Wow that sounds amazing. I think I might have to find a schematic somehow.

You won't... Only the designers know how to make them.... Their circuits are coated in epoxy so nobody can reverse engineer one.

Same goes for the eternity, the zendrive and every other smooth sounding pedal. Id you want a smooth sounding booster you're going to have to learn some basic circuit topology's and theory *gasp* *shock* *horror*

EDIT: PFs handy hints to smooth tone: 1.) roll off the high end quite subtly but at a low frequency. 2.) Place your tone control(s) prior to the clipping section(s) and 3.) Use FETs carefully.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
I dont think the ZenDrives are coated with epoxy. I met him at a local guitar store a month or so ago and he showed me the inside of the pedal.

I know a bit about the technology and stuff of boosters and overdrives.

EDIT: Ok I will put the tonestack pre-clipping, and I am using a J201 transistor since they are nice and smooth.
Last edited by call1800ksmyazz at Jul 26, 2006,
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
I dont think the ZenDrives are coated with epoxy. I met him at a local guitar store a month or so ago and he showed me the inside of the pedal.

I know a bit about the technology and stuff of boosters and overdrives.

EDIT: Ok I will put the tonestack pre-clipping, and I am using a J201 transistor since they are nice and smooth.

I've got a zendrive and all the important stuff is epoxied.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
yes i do agree that boutique pedals are very different to find schematics for but the Fulltone Fulldrive is a great sounding smooth overdrive and it is a relatively popular boutique overdrive. It shouldnt be too difficult to find schematics for them since they dont use epoxy and they are relatively easy to find from my experience
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
IncubusMan Im pretty sure schematics for any boutique pedal dont exist over the internet, or at least not in an easy place to find. I will look for that one though.
Congrats, its a great sounding overdrive. Good luck with it.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM