hello. I play guitar in a band and my good friend wants to pick up bass. I've been doing some research and was wondering what kind of wattage he would need to be heard over a guitar and drums. The bass wattages seem much higher than guitar so any help would be appreciated.

I was thinking a bass amp along these lines. http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBX1800
would that be plenty loud? We don't have much cash. Thanks in advance.
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
its not really about the wattage your best of trying a whole heap of different things out. im loud but i have a 750 watt head on a fair few cabs. think my previous amp to that was around 180 watt and it wasnt really loud enuf to practice/gig with. but i did have a cack bass at the time
That would be loud enough, yes.
with a ridiculous amount of room to spare.

-M
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
generally, 60 watts atleast is required to heard fairly well over a drummer. if you play with 2 guitarists with anything more than 15 wat amps then 100 watts would be a good choice. that amp would do u fine, might not be too gig worthy (quality wise), but for practice it'd doo great.
thanks for the info guys! that's just what we need then!
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300