Page 1 of 2
It was great. Being self taught, it was nice for a professional bassist to see how i am doing and give me some pointers in my playing. He's been playing 20 years, so really knew his stuff and was playing fretless.. nice..
Anyway, so i told him i was quite comfortable with my chops, but i wanted to be at one with the bass.. extend my knowledge of the bass, in so much as i could think ahead, visualise where i wanted to go and hear it before i play it. I want to brush up on some theory and learn some advanced bass theory. We went through some exercises for working the fretboard and the fingers, then went through a bit of rhythm, trying to play with groove (two great songs which he showed me to play for working rhythm are Lively Up Yourself - Bob Marley and Cold Sweat - James Brown).. Anyway, as it was the first lesson we really just went over a few bits and chatted about my playing etc.. he said he will work on a lesson ready for next time.. He also said he would "work me, dont worry". which is great. I asked him how my technique was and he said it was good, the exercises i had been doing are ones he would teach students.. it's now just filling in the gaps in knowledge and refining the technique.

Anyway, i walked out of there feeling really great and upbeat about my bass playing, and i can see a future now.. I was on a bit of a plateau, where i felt i wasnt getting better.. i upped my playing time to three hours a day but still felt like i needed a new direction..
but now i feel inspired again !

I am writing this really to see if others are thinking about taking some lessons after a long time being self taught, because if so.. i say go for it, dont hesitate.. it will be worth it..

Peace lads
Good job. :]

Quote by darknessfan
What the **** is the point of this thread.

If youdont have something nice to say then dont say it.
Quote by darknessfan

In your case, maybe learning how to read is a great thing?

That's great, dude. I wish I could get a good bass teacher, but...eh...expensive...
Member #8 of the "I Love Waterbears" club!! PM Phantom lord363 to join

Member #2 of the "I love Mexican food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join.

Machine-gun tappist of the Bass Militia. PM Duff_McGee or IndieMetalhead to join.

LOL @ RABBIT
Quote by darknessfan

The point is to let my fellow bassists know about something i done regarding bass and my bass playing, and to see how they felt about it, discuss if they were thinking of doing the same thing, have done the same thing etc, whether they think it's a good idea, whether it's necessary etc... It's called a discussion. You know, you dont have to post...
Quote by darknessfan

i wouldn't expect anything else from a guitarist

Adrian: thats good, i've been thinking about lessons for a while as im hardly motivated enough to teach myself anymore. plus, i think my techniques getting a little sloppy being self taught and young
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Guitarist and a Darkness fan mind you prolly can't tell his ass from his elbow
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Quote by RIC4003

Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I used to, but I didn't have enough time to schedule them so i had to stop. 'Tis a shame, thinking where I would have been today. (I would have been accepted to Berklee... They denied me because I didn't have any years with a private instructer.)
i thought just recently you had a go at people who HADN'T been taught professionally

but yeah, teachers can swing either way, i've found either they are very helpful, or are terrible and just a waste of money. Good to hear yours was a good one.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
And he's 14 years old, ffs...

Well, I actually shouldn't be talking, seeing as i'm not even 16 yet...but damn.
Member #8 of the "I Love Waterbears" club!! PM Phantom lord363 to join

Member #2 of the "I love Mexican food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join.

Machine-gun tappist of the Bass Militia. PM Duff_McGee or IndieMetalhead to join.

LOL @ RABBIT
Quote by RIC4003

Sigged

anyway way to go man, I would get some lessons but I jsut dont really see how I could benefit atm, I can already do basic theory from my trumpet and Aren't really at the stage where I feel the need to learn more, and bass stuff
apple head ive acctually done that me and u seem to have something incommen before i was thinking that i coudlnt get much better practicing long times a day and ive not been doing to good ive self taught my self everything i could and my mom suggested getting lessons cause i was so bred around the house and the past weeks have been aamazing with my teacher right now im just learning basic stuff
yeah I've taken lessons from a private instructor for a while now...He was actually my elementary school music teacher (grades 1-5) and when I announced that I wanted to seriously learn bass (theory, techniques, scales, modes, grooves, technique, etc) I gave him a call since I remembered that he was always talking about bass when he taught me and the other kids in the after school mini string orchestra program (in which I played the cello)... He said he would love to give me lessons because he is a bassist first and foremost and a Pianist, sax player, violinist, etc, after...

We havent been been covering tons of ground though because I want to make sure I absorb each and every lesson and because he has to re-teach me to read music because I havent done so on the bass clef or a stringed instrument for years...This is a pretty tedious addition to the process, but since most of the exercises have no tabs and since he says that reading music will allow me to witness so many musical techniques in action and it will help me understand the "language" of a lot of other things regarding bass and music, I do my best to read everything I can...But I'm catching on kinda quick because, as I said, I'm re-learning how to read...

So I say to you applehead, keep at it mate you're on the right track, its never too late to learn something new or to touch up on old skills/techniques...Also, whenever your instructor teaches you something new theory-wise make sure to ask him about how and when to apply that theoretical knowledge...I cant really explain how important this is but a lot of other players (including me) know some theory but dont really know how/when to apply it to their playing...I am this way because my knowledge of theory isnt as thorough as I'd like, in fact its probably less than basic...and when I do try to apply it it sounds like the same pattern/notes all the time...My solos sound like a scale pattern played over and over, lol, yet my instructor uses the same scale/key or whatever and plays some crazy Jaco-like jazzy blues solo and I'm like "WTF!! TEACH ME TO DO THAT!!!11"...lol, yea a lot of aspects of theory have certain prerequisites or else you cant fully understand them, but dont ask for specifics because I'm still clueless myself ...

my teachers great though...he let me borrow his Carvin neck thru fretless 4 string today (I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum knows now, lol)
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 25, 2006,
Wow...Applehead's band makes me feel good on the inside...

Cheers with the teacher, it was hard for me to find one I could connect with, so I just taught myself.
Quote by HorridxHopes
Wow...Applehead's band makes me feel good on the inside...

What a nice compliment; thanks mate..

Great reponse everybody, thanks a lot. I definitely feel i made a good decision, and i seemed to get on with this teacher. Time will tell i suppose, but i have good feeling about it.. I definitely want to work on my reading too, become more fluent. I've said to have lessons fortnightly so i have time to practice and absorb what he's taught me, also because i study piano every other week as well.

Anyway, good to know others are doing it, or would like to do it..

I will of course share any good exercises or songs i come across (try the above though, they're good fun!)
Quote by darknessfan

Warned.

And congrats applehead... your band has a special place inside my heart

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
LMAO i was sigged hells yeah been on the site for a week and already been sigged congrats to me! and Applehead cool going through the lesson and all
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
In two weeks of lessons I was both using all fingers on the left hand and theoretically proficient on a level higher than most in my school. I'm so glad I got them.

However... My teacher, while a great player, has no real structure or drive. I miss the rigor of classical flute lessons. I could use a little discipline now and then to help me progress. I'm not quite experienced enough to tell him what I shoudl be learning, lol.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
I'm hopefully going to get a bass teacher very soon, from Talkbass! He's been playing for a long time (Like, 25+ I think). He's cool basses and seems like a nice guy, hopefully I can get that going!
haha
Quote by RIC4003

Oh god do i feel sorry for his friend when he asks for an elbow rub
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
I'm hopefully going to get a bass teacher very soon, from Talkbass! He's been playing for a long time (Like, 25+ I think). He's cool basses and seems like a nice guy, hopefully I can get that going!

sounds cool...

maybe you can ask him to bring a different bass to each lesson (so you can play it for a bit maybe, lol)...thats what my teacher does, but I still havent played his Pedulla or his Zon!...I want to play a Ped

he cant bring the Zon or the Ped though, he says whenever he leaves the house with either of those basses he needs his hardcase in one hand a pistol in the other
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 25, 2006,
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
sounds cool...

maybe you can tell him to bring a different bass to each lesson (so you can play it for a bit maybe, lol)...thats what my teacher does, but I still havent played his Pedulla or his Zon!...I want to play a Ped

he cant bring the Zon or the Ped though, he says whenever he leaves the house with either of those basses he needs his hardcase in one hand a pistol in the other

This guy has a Sadowsky, a Zon, an old Fender Precision, and a bunch of other cool stuff. I swear, I don't want him to be my teacher just because of his awesome basses! He noticed me wanting a teacher, and asked me if I was interested. GG.
haha
I'm thinkin of taking bass lessons, there's this guy i know uptown who runs a music shop who does lessons, but he's primarily a guitarist, but i think it could be worth it because i want to do a bit of guitar work as well and work on my singing while playing.

From being completely self taught on bass guitar (i learnt to play from reading standard notation and my prior know how - Double Bass) i think i've developed a unique playing style that feels a bit funky but really strong, and i love it so i'd like to develop that on my own for a unique sound, but i just need help with the theory and i'd like to learn to solo, so that's what i think a guitarist would be good for.

sorry if that made no sense
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Yertle
In two weeks of lessons I was both using all fingers on the left hand and theoretically proficient on a level higher than most in my school. I'm so glad I got them.

However... My teacher, while a great player, has no real structure or drive. I miss the rigor of classical flute lessons. I could use a little discipline now and then to help me progress. I'm not quite experienced enough to tell him what I shoudl be learning, lol.

You've been playing a while havent you? See, i was worried i wouldnt know what to learn but when i spoke to him and told him what i was missing in my playing, he knew what to do.. Dont be scareed to tell your teacher what you want to learn.. if you feel when you play you are static, tell him you want to develope fluency over the fretboard, say by playing two octave scales starting from 3rd Fret E down to the 12th fret G, that kind of thing.. a good teacher should know what to teach you if you tell him what you are lacking..

glad it's paying off for you mate.. i reckon i will be the same.. I've always argued there is no substitue for a teacher.. not sure who said above that Berklee rejected them because they had no private tuition, but that's quite interesting.... they hold it in high regard obviously...

My lesson was £20 for about an hour and fifteen minutes, and he apologised for having to stop as he had to go rehearse. he is gigging twice a week around London.. nice.

how much do lessons set you back in other countries? Bassillo? Metal? £20 is pretty standar over here for music lessons.. I guess thats about $35ph, give or take
In two months of taking lessons I probly tripled my knowledge of theory and reading and such it was so helpful and i'm starting up again next september. Plus my lessons only cost $24 canadian for an hour.
damn, that is cheap !!! whats the quality of life like in Canada? i am thinking of leaving England
Quote by Applehead
how much do lessons set you back in other countries? Bassillo? Metal? £20 is pretty standar over here for music lessons.. I guess thats about $35ph, give or take

there was this one guy I got a business card from, his lessons costed 32 (US) dollars for a half hour!...DAMN!

my current teacher only charges 15 dollars for a 45 minute lesson...but usually he stays longer than that...sometimes he stays an hour and 15 minutes because "He's got to get his boy playing!", lol hes cool...and he doesnt upcharge when he stays longer than 45 minutes..
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 26, 2006,
I've been taking lessons since I started playing bass, and I can guarantee that if it wasn't for those teachers, I would not be the player I am today.
^agreed
Setup:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-Top
Crap GK strat
Vox Valvetronix 15 watt
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Boss DS-1
Quote by Applehead
You've been playing a while havent you? See, i was worried i wouldnt know what to learn but when i spoke to him and told him what i was missing in my playing, he knew what to do.. Dont be scareed to tell your teacher what you want to learn.. if you feel when you play you are static, tell him you want to develope fluency over the fretboard, say by playing two octave scales starting from 3rd Fret E down to the 12th fret G, that kind of thing.. a good teacher should know what to teach you if you tell him what you are lacking..

glad it's paying off for you mate.. i reckon i will be the same.. I've always argued there is no substitue for a teacher.. not sure who said above that Berklee rejected them because they had no private tuition, but that's quite interesting.... they hold it in high regard obviously...

My lesson was £20 for about an hour and fifteen minutes, and he apologised for having to stop as he had to go rehearse. he is gigging twice a week around London.. nice.

I'm not sure how much lessons with the guy from TB will be (He's looking for a music store to use as his stay-in place, cuz he lives too far from me normally, and has kids around his place). But a quote I got from another dude was 15 USD for half an hour and 30 USD for a full hour for at home lessons, not bad.
haha
Hey cool I sorta did the same thing, been self taught for around two and a half years (but I know the teacher, so they're free). It's going great but its freaking hard. My pinky is basically a pus/blood spouting stub cause of the weather report and the constant practicing, but I'm sure it'll pay off very very soon.
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
there was this one guy I got a business card from, his lessons costed 32 (US) dollars for a half hour!...DAMN!

Holy **** that is expensive. who would pay that much for a half hour lesson. I hope that guy was the the one who taught wooten and jaco cuz thats the only way it'd be worth it.
Ya I've been playin in school for like 6 years, I just never have had the time to take lessons. I really need though I think because I'm kind of in a rut, not advancing at all it seems.
jazz_rock_feel: instead of deleting a post and making a new one, just edit your old one.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
I would love bass lessons, but I simply cannot afford them. While I was at college, I got free tuition... half an hour a week. Not much good really. Helped a little, but I can't say I felt and great advancement from them.

Good teachers are very hard to find.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Page 1 of 2