I recently discovered this effing brilliant band and would like to know if anyone else digs them. Sometimes they're considered punk, but I really don't think that fits at all and thus am posting this here. Newbury Comics was giving away a sample cd and their song See No Evil was on it. Upon hearing it, I proceeded to obtain a copy of Marquee Moon and have been wearing it out ever since. Anyone else have experience with this wonderful band?
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Marquee Moon is just classic.I love Television.I love Richard Lloyd'd guitar playing.Great band.
Yes.
Dude, Television is ORIGINAL punk. Pre-Ramones punk. Richard Hell is a father of american punk and Richard Lloyd has a great style.
Television is quite possibly the most orignal band ever and one of the best and Tom Verlaine is god
Quote by gwitersnamps
Dude, Television is ORIGINAL punk. Pre-Ramones punk. Richard Hell is a father of american punk and Richard Lloyd has a great style.

Explain. I must just fail to hear it. I personally think it would make more sense to say they're the original post punk band.
Listen to mah discs.

Vote for me in the
^ Although they played around the punk scene at the time, I don't consider them a punk band either.
Great band though, and 'Marquee Moon' is a top, top album.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by VoodooChild15
Newbury Comics was giving away a sample cd and their song See No Evil was on it.

What store location?
Quote by bigwillie
CornLord, you just blew my mind.
Haha, coincidences have been abounding with me quite frequently these days...

Sit tight, Marquee Moon is the next AOTW, by (who else) me!
Quote by Here_is_no_why
Other than that, they do no harm. Unless you play a seriously crappy game, you know, like Glover. He was a ****ing glove. Seriously.
Last edited by FreewayJam at Jul 25, 2006,
Quote by CornLord
What store location?

All of them, if you had the coupon. The promotion is over by now though.
Listen to mah discs.

Vote for me in the
I think Television are great, definately a big influence on my guitar playing (as well as countless others, The Strokes are a good example). I'd have to agree with them not fitting quite into the strictest sense of the punk category, although they have similarities with punk music, I find their sound a bit more sophisticated.

Anyone else think Televisions vocals are similar to Gordan Gano's of The Violent Femmes? Just listen to Venus and some random femme's song and you'll see what I mean.
Quote by gwitersnamps

There was plenty of pre-Ramones punk...

Television is one of my favorite bands, though. My favorite part of them is how well the 2 guitar parts intertwine.
Quote by VoodooChild15
Explain. I must just fail to hear it. I personally think it would make more sense to say they're the original post punk band.

television, stooges, velvets, new york dolls, mc5 all that.

Anyway, theyre really good I know and read tons about em in Please Kill Me(if you like this kind of music at all read that damn book). I dont have any of their music though other than a couple songs downloaded. I gotta get more into em.
Though they were part of the punk scene,I don't consider them punk in terms of genre.Can't wait for that AOTW.Marquee Moon is just amazing.Truly legendary.Its funny,because I was just thinking how bands like Television,Can,NEU!,Pere Ubu,The Residents,Roxy Music,etc...never got any mention in the classic rock forum.Its always mainstream bands.The 60s and 70s had a lot of great bands,not all of them mainstream.It good to see threads like this.First the Gentle Giant thread,now the Television thread.Its getting better all the time.
Yes.
I saw a television cover band a while back. Can't say I was particularly impressed to be honest, although that could just have been the band doing the covers. I certainly wasn't inspired to go and buy any of their stuff afterwards.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.