I'm having trouble with the truss rod on my Jackson DXMG. Instead of being able to turn it counterclockwise to adjust it, it unscrews the end nut. I'm fairly competent when it comes to working on guitars, but never the less I took it to my local shop. However, being that I live in Podunk, the person who worked on guitars had never seen a truss rod like mine, let alone heard of Jackson. I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place with what to do. I figure my options are to either try to tighten it on as well as i can and hopefully when I turn it counterclockwise it will catch and actually adjust the truss rod. My other option, which I really don't want to do,and probably won't, is to superglue the threads so that it doesn't unscrew it when I turn it. The main problem with that is that the nut is already slightly stripped, and if it gets to the point where it is totally stripped, I possibly would have to get a new neck.
Here is a link for the type of nut on the end of my truss rod, just for visual purposes.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Adjusting_nuts/Gibson-style_Truss_Rod_Nut.html
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
first off u measured the relief first right?
and ur using a good allen wrench?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yes, the wrench is fine. I'm not the person who stripped the nut, that was done years ago when I let one of my friends try to adjust it since I didn't know what I was doing at the time. I'm not sure what you mean by relief, or how to measure it, but I have about 4 mm between the 12th fret and the low e string, which is very uncomfortable.
Thanks for helping Jenny,,
ok this is what u do. measure ur neck angle and make sure ur attempting to turn it in the correct direction, or if u even need an adjustment at the neck.
maybe a bridge adjustment will help.

anyway,
fret the low E at the first fret. at the same time,
fret the Low E at the 17th fret. about where the neck and body meet.

look at ur middle frets. 7-8th frets.
if the string just lays on the fretwire there u dont have enough gap.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, u have too much gap.

measure and repost.

also im not sure what bridge uve got, guessing some sort of trem. thats level right?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

When I fret at the first and the seventeenth I can fit a little more than 1 credit card widths in the gap at the seventh. I have my bridge lowered as low as it can go, and yes it's a LFR which is level.

EDIT: Thanks for that site, I'll look through to see if I can find anything that might help.
ok yeah, a little more than a credit cards thickness up would merrit a CLOCKWISE turn in about a 1/8" direction. (doesnt seem like a huge adjustment is needed)

pretty sure u said thats the opposite of what u can turn?

well if its not catching, and sometimes u can get it tight on there by turning the wrong way first... i guess just make sure any amount u turn in a counter clock direction, u double back in ur clockwise turn plus the needed 1/8". seems like alot of stress tho.

i guess, u can look up on stewmac.com for a new truss rod nut installation wrench system they have. (yep expensive)

ahh if its that close and the nut is messed up, go LIGHTER one gauge size in strings instead. that will let the neck relax a little and change ur neck bend even if ur neck is now longer adjustable.

ive got one guitar with a "loose truss nut" i can still manipulate the bend, but yeah sounds like uve got a bit of a problem.

edit: LOL wind^
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62