Hi guys,

I've been playing for about 6 years now.. ever since I was a young sprout, I'm self taught.. I know bits and pieces of music theory and my chording is excellent IMO.

The stuff I've been playing seems like it'd be good for warm-ups.. but I was wondering.. what would really challenge me during my practice sessions?

The music I really love to listen to is old rock like the Grateful Dead or Led Zeppelin and newer jam bands like Widespread Panic.

Any ideas for a song for me to practice?

Thanks a lot people!
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
Deep Purple- Smoke on the water

Just kidding hah, Al di Meola- Medditerannean sundance(the one with paco de lucia)
Extremely hard.

Also some steve vai/satch stuff.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

may be you should look at jason becker or classical music. there are lots of tabs in here.
Quote by guitar_god22
steve vai - tender surrender

Fuck yes.

After 6 years, Tender Surrender should be at a level where you can comfortably play most parts in a technical aspect, but still have one hell of challenge getting close to the emotion and desire put into the original song.

I think it's as important to mentally challenge yourself as it is to physically, of course the two correlate - but emotionally and mentally Tender Surrender is extremely challenging.

Some other songs of similar spirit are:

Joe Satriani - Always With Me, Always With You.
Steve Vai - Whispering A Prayer.
Steve Vai - Lotus Feet.
Joe Satriani - Midnight.
Joe Satriani - Day At The Beach.
Eric Johnson - When The Sun Meets The Sky.

And especially...

Joe Satriani - Cryin'.
Can you improv solo?
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
Yeah I can..

And people.. I don't want to listen to Steve Vai or Joe Satriani. Don't get me wrong.. I respect their style of playing. But I want to play stuff that I'm interested in.

Al Di Meola however, very intriguing.
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
Try Little Wing by SRV and learn the main parts then improv solo.

edit- you might want to broaden your musical taste if you want songs that will challenge you
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQned79Hkc&search=canon%20in%20d

Watch that, then learn it. It's a challenge, for sure, but ive only been playing for 2 years and i can play the whole thing. Then again, im Jesus.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Badge by Cream, Im sorry i like the band Cream.
"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
-Emiliano Zapata
At some point in time you grow out of playing other peoples music constantly.. try writting some of your own, thats when your taking your guitar playing to a new level, imo.
Solo flight by Charlie Christian
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club