Okay well the way I pick is by using my index and thumb, but to hit the notes i use only those fingers, and most people says it looks weird, and the only time i really use my wrist is if im playing something really fast...

Should keep on picking the way I do or shuld I switch to the normal way
try picking normal and practice at it, but if it really screws up ur playin then go back to the other way.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Eddie Van Halen held the pick with his thumb and middle finger. Whatever works for you.
I held my pick wrong for the first couple years I was playing too but I maneged to fix it. But I wouldnt worry about it, I personally dont think there is a "wrong" way to play a guitar as long as it sounds good.
Quote by 4e574e57363g

is anyone here as cool as Oblivious16037??

I think not.

GO VIKINGS!

Founder of the iPods Suck Balls Club
PM me if you wanna join!
you do whatevers comofortable...i use my thumb, my index and my middle finger.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
OK, it doesn't really matter how you hold the plectrum, just make sure you are using mostly wrist action, and not so much fingers, if anything the fingers should only angle the pick while the wrist does the most movement. Becoming tense while strumming ''will'' lead to serious arm troubles, not hand or wrist, but arm troubles! a good sign of developing arm troubles is when your elbow becomes stiff and sore, or tired from playing, that shouldn't happen ever if you are picking with finess instead of tenseness (is that a word?) OK bye!

note: using more than two fingers can become a problem in the future when you try to learn other techniques like tapping and harmonics, but everyone has their own way, so experiment, but the key is to stay relaxed!
Quote by Oblivious16037
I held my pick wrong for the first couple years I was playing too but I maneged to fix it. But I wouldnt worry about it, I personally dont think there is a "wrong" way to play a guitar as long as it sounds good.

Exactly, everyone plays different, i prefer using a thumb pick, but i am starting to go to a reg. pick soon, just for different playability.
Well, I mean picking by alternating your thumb and finger muscles isn't directly wrong, but it lends itself to shitloads of problems. Tension being the biggest - I've seen people play with their fingers and thumb muscles claiming it to be more accurate but a quick glance at their shoulder, which is usually up near their cheekbone says differently.

I can't physically, without being under any unwanted tension use my thumb and finger muscles to pick accurately and articulately enough to warrant a thought of consideration for that style. Now, you might think 'Yeah, well I've been playing like that for two years, I'm used to it.' - But used to what? Used to playing completely tension free? I doubt it, the only thing you're most likely to be used to is the tension in your muscles, hence why it doesn't seem there's any tension there. But that's the thing about tension, it's mental. Unless you're aware of your muscles, it isn't there - the moment you're mentally & physically aware of what you're muscles are doing, what they feel like and what they're telling you - it opens a whole new world for you, mentally & physically.

Now, from experience - alternating picking styles isn't a good idea, I'd have trouble finding anyone here disagree with me in telling you that whatever the fuck you're playing, you should play it the same way, all the time. Think about it logically, in the sense of what's correct form. I'm assuming you play a few fast pieces and are interested in building your speed to a desirable velocity, or are already there.

What is it that is considered the best way to practice to build speed? Play slow. Now, if you're playing slow pieces in one style, and fast pieces in a different style - that's a fucking problem, let me tell you.

All that slow and concentrated practice using thumb and finger is wasted - you're completely spinning it off by changing your picking style. It won't work and you'll never get anywhere past mediocre.

That's an assumption from experience - the people I see who neglect technical nuances and the importance of it, usually never proceed past any part of mediocrity and comfort - that isn't a bad thing, though.

Lots of people are happy strumming along to their favourite songs and perhaps busting out a small solo in between with a point blank refusal to give a fuck about technique, that's fair and that's not bad - but if technique is any part of the style of music you play, plan to play or don't even know you're going to play in the future, I'd urge you to immediately stop differentiating between picking styles regardless of speed. There really is no difference between playing slow and playing fast, except the distance between the notes you're playing, absolutely nothing else should change.

I've always been a firm believer in that the picking motion, and the best way to obtain the correct picking motion should come from the forearm and upper arm muscles. That's using your wrist with a blend of elbow and arm. Training the larger muscle groups to control the pick lends itself to having a more accurate smaller muscle group like the forearm, on the basis that the muscles are trained in a relaxed manner.

I'm not going to tell you that your picking motion is incorrect, because I'm absolutely no-one to tell you what's right or wrong, but I will tell you not to follow the easy route, the path of least resistance, or to do what's comfortable. If you feel, that under complete awareness and concentration your picking motion isn't putting any unwanted tension on your body and that you are fully capable of continuing to progress as a guitarist using the motion, then by all my means, continue.

But, if you feel, after a glance at your technique that things aren't right, I'd urge you to take a good hard look at your technique and try to re-programme your muscles into doing what you want in the least restricted manner possible, that is - without tension. Without worry & without doubt.
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Jul 25, 2006,