Page 1 of 2
do you play with a metronome?
what do you play with the metronome? 1234,1234,1234 exercises? fast songs?

i feel like my brain is about to explode sometimes when I use the metronome.

any advice?
learn paganini's 5th caprice, it sounds awesome and it has helped me a ton get super fast and more
oh John and his infinite wisdom.

i practice that 1234 thing, and practice everything, and jsut screw around, use a metronome, it helps, learned other little fast licks already made by other people, then started mkaing my own, a couple Paul Gilbert pentatonic licks helped to with my coordination and massive penis ness
/what?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

123412341234123412341234 4321432143214321432143214321 i find it pretty enjoyable
Yeah, John is absolutely right.

1234 1234 .... ? Well many seem to think that's the magic secret to speed. Mostly
that will help you get better at doing 1234 1234 .... and that's about it if that's
all that you do.

If you really focus on your technique in everything you do, you'll improve your
technique and when your technique improves so does your speed.
I feel that if you just do whatever you want, such as learn faster songs, or do some different scales, you will find it more enjoyable, and therefore will want to get faster faster.
Moonchild of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join

Quote by PinkIsCool
UG- The only place where a heartwarming moment can easily be turned into an act of homosexuality and incest.

I just sat there and watched tv while i picked up and down at a fair pace, not even paying attention to it, for about 10 minutes at a time and eventually i built up a bit of speed. It's probably a really bad way of doing it but i found it more interesting then the 12341234.
"There is no shield to protect us from the one's one used to trust"
I wouldn't stick by using chromatics because if all you ever practice speed building with is chromatics your fingers will get more used to that shape than any other and so you'll get problems.

I would recommend not aiming for speed, but aiming to play cleanly and accurately, then letting speed come to you over time.

The best way to do this is take songs you like, break them down and learn them upto speed and then move on to more challenging songs, although when learning songs it's not just a matter of learning the song, learn from it, pick apart the chords, what's played over the chords, the keys and scales used etc.
You'll learn alot more doing that.

Also go on google video and search for John Petrucci's Rock Discipline and Marty Friedman's Melodic Control.

Good luck
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
do the 1234 4321 all the way up and down the neck with tremolo picking, that built so much speed for me
You can muck about with the 1234 thing by doing 1234 2341 3412 4123 up and down the neck on all the strings. Also make sure you use your pinky as well as the other 3 fingers as it will give you better reach so you'll hopefully be able to play more technical, faster stuff.

Also try to learn the intro to My Chemical Romance's Thank You for the Venom. It's pretty fast and is a good excercise as well as an awesome song.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Last edited by alliwant at Jul 27, 2006,
Someone else mentioned it, but get your picking hand speed down first. Watch TV or something and just play steady open notes at a decent pace.

Personally I never really on scales and exercises to gain speed, it's always been "Hey.. thats a song I want to learn" and if its fast, practising it enough will speed up your playing on that song and in turn will help you gain speed as a whole.
Quote by clay123
learn paganini's 5th caprice, it sounds awesome and it has helped me a ton get super fast and more

You stole my name you son of a Bit**!
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!
just try to learn scales and play all the shapes down the fret board p to the 12th fret and back on each string thats what i do
My guitars...

LTD H-1000
Epiphone Explorer
Fender Strat
Fender Acoustic

Amps...

Marshall Mode Four
fender frontman possibly for sale

Quote by Pleiadian
(with active EMG-HZ pickups)
+1

Learn your scales.. pick your scales.. LOVE your scales.

You will get much faster.
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
Quote by ch715dallat
wots the 1234 thing?

Chromatic scale excercises that are usually the norm for people wanting to increase their finger indepence, finger strength, articulation, co-ordination and speed. Normally 'practiced' as a warm-up to other things.

Usually look something like...

e|----------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-|
B|------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------|
G|-------------------------------1-2-3-4----------------------|
D|---------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------------|
A|-----------1-2-3-4------------------------------------------|
E|-1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------|

Then descend, rinse & repeat.
All these guys are right, its about building speed in our fingers. but also getting the right hand and left hand co-ordination correct. Just build speed up.....a car doesnt go from 0 to 60 in 0.1 seconds so why should you whilst practicing?........
It's mostly just developing accuracy to be able to fret and pick at the same time, moving your fretting fingers faster will just come to you as you play.
I have an excercise that my teacher gave me that really helped with accuracy
1-4-3-2
1-4-2-3
1-3-4-2
1-3-2-4
1-2-4-3
1-2-3-4
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
i play my scales over and over and over againthen i work on some easy solos (fade to black intro etc.) to get used to some faster parts then I'll find something new to play because I have nothing better to do
Quote by Johnljones7443
I didn't build speed, nor did I search for speed; speed came to me.

same
Play scales and chops repeatedly, blindfold yourself while playing.

No I'm not joking. It helps, when you can't see, you won't worry if you get any frets wrong, so you can speed up, but after u hit a wrong note, you will fix it without having to look at your figerboard. So yeah, blindfold yourself.
Quote by Johnljones7443
I didn't build speed, nor did I search for speed; speed came to me.

Dang, man. You always have a wise way of saying things

But this is true. Listen to him.

Accuracy and persistant accuracy. Then speed will slap you in the face in a good way.
Speed is a byproduct of accuracy.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
I never did exercises, I also never built up speed with scales.
If you masturbate 3 times a day, it really helps.

Well I just improvised slowly, gradually built up speed, which also helped me learn the scales.
Speed comes naturally...and if it doesnt, force it through proper practice with a metronome, and increase it by 10 bpm every week, or as necessary. And if THIS doesnt work...work on finger indepent excercises, maybe you play like those kids that look like their hands are sticky, and their hands look all ugly and non smooth/fluid when they play. Try to find a fast song, maybe something from yngwie malmsteen...try Arpeggios from hell or trilogy suite, and then start really slow, and work your way up. After you get to that point in speed, and practice in that zone for a while, whenever you learn a new riff or lick you will be able to get it up to that speed in a few minutes. Its incredible.
Quote by insideac
Speed comes naturally...and if it doesnt, force it through proper practice with a metronome.

You cannot force speed. Ever.
Quote by Johnljones7443
You cannot force speed. Ever.

You can, however, force masturbation.
Quote by Dazultra1509
I just sat there and watched tv while i picked up and down at a fair pace, not even paying attention to it, for about 10 minutes at a time and eventually i built up a bit of speed. It's probably a really bad way of doing it but i found it more interesting then the 12341234.

Thats what Scott Ian did to build up downpicking speed. I tried it with both alternate and down-picking and it really does work. I reccomend this
Quote by masterohumans
there is something wrong with you that has nothing to do with that instrument you want to build.
Quote by Matt_Malmsteen

I would recommend not aiming for speed, but aiming to play cleanly and accurately, then letting speed come to you over time.

Masterbation dude, it'll help you build speed. Plus you get a bonus.; )
"No man ever won a war by dying for his country, he did so by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."
Dont stick to 1234, dont stick to scales, learn songs that are above your skill level, slow them down and learn them till you can do it full speed. Songs keep you playing too.
Always learn new stuff, always try to be musical, learning hard chords also will help your lead playing. Or at least it did for me.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by hhsuey

i feel like my brain is about to explode sometimes when I use the metronome.

The clicking drove me insane, thats why i'm against metrenomes, If you can play in time, with a song then you dont need it.

click click click click click ahhhhhhhhh.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Well, I guess the "right way" is to practice things (scales, runs, etc.) as slow as slow can go at first. And slowly getting faster.

The "wrong way" would probably be to just practice playing ridiculously fast ****.

But it's really up to you. I personally just enjoyed jammin and sorta let speed come to me. I never really enjoyed playing ridiculously fast all the time and have respect for people who use dynamics.... like quick little runs, but with a slow melodic touch. That's what I've tried to model myself by. But it's all up to you. I personally woudl go with the Right way ^.
Collectively, all this information was great! And I plan on using it to get better. Thanks!
Chromatic scales and metronome practice are great, but they can be very frustrating. I found that learning how to play 3 notes per string starting with your 1st & 2nd string using combination of your 1,2 & 4 finger on both strings (finger per fret) and 1,3 & 4 finger on both strings will help increase speed quicker. When you achieve 1st and 2nd string then move to the 2nd & 3rd string then 3rd & 4th and 4th & 5th and 5th & 6th. When that is completed try using 3 string combinations together. I found having quicker results inspired me to try harder. Also the key getting from one string to another is getting your 1st finger on the 1st string and either your 3rd or 4th finger on the 2nd string pick up on the first string and down on the 2nd string repeatedly at different tempos.
Page 1 of 2