Page 1 of 2
Alright, I'm getting really confused with all these Marshalls. I don't know whats good and what's crap (besides the MGs and AVTs). Could someone make a list of their amps and tell me the qualities of an amp similar to something like this-

MG- Sucks because of the reliability. The tone is terrible. ect.

AVT- This sucks because blah blah.

Thanks.
OK the MG AVT and Mode FOur all suck but everything else is pretty good.

JCM 800 900 and 2000
JTM 45 60 100
Jubilee
JMP
Bluesbreaker
PLexi

There might be more and i just dont remember
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Most of it depends on your price range and what you want to use it for. If your price range for a head is less than 500, the AVT50HX is probably your best option you can find. If you want a cheap halfstack, the MG is better than most other brands. Would i recomend an MG though? no.

What it really comes down to is, as long as its not an MG, you can't really go wrong with Marshall
Yes you can go wrong you can get a AVT or a Mode Four both of which are crap. and a TSL 100 which isnt amazing but is a good amp.

if your going for the cheapets marshall im gonna say its a JCM Combo
mainly the budget marshalls suck because you get what you pay for. However, once you start hitting models like the JCM800-900-2000, and so on, they are pretty much up to preference, and you cant really say what sucks and what doesnt at that point cuase everyone has their own opinion. Take the Mode Fours, there are a bunch of people who will tell you that they suck....actually, i think a few already did. HOwever, you still see people using them ( and im not talking poor/hobby musicians, like Dave Navarro ). anyway, preference is the way it is past the budget models.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Marshalls are all around the best amps. My opinion at least. Yes, JCM and such are very high quality and are way better than AVT heads.
But seriously, for 450, name a better head than the AVT50HX. Expecially when you have it hooked up to a 1980 lead series half stack, it sounds great, amazing for the price.

Don't get me wrong, if I could get a free Marshall, i wouldn't even think about AVT, but you can trash it all you want, but that wont change the fact that AVT's are actually decent.

MGs on the other hand...lol
No AVTs are crap with 450 dollars i could get a XXX combo and it own a AVT
ive palyed an avt 150 head through a 1960A cab with a kh-202, and i wasnt impressed. i think a JSX or a XXX will do better than the marshall.

but thats me.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Wow, 150 didn't impress you?
Trust me though, playing an AVT with a high end cabinet and a gibson les paul custom, it sounds much better than everyone seems to think it could ever sound.
no, it didnt, i was upset. cleans were horrible, and it got kinda meh at higher volumes.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
And I seem to think that most people really don't understand what Marshalls do.

AVT is hybrid crap. MG is obviously crap. JCM 800 has it's purposes, ie, sounds great with a 70s strat playing through with a clean tone (maybe a little bit of dirt or boosting). JCM 900 is similar to the 800, although I didn't like the tone as much. 2000s are just mediocore. Mediocore cleans and the overdrive is meh, but I'm not going to get into that.

An old Plexi, hard to really plug into, doesn't have as much gain as people think. Go ahead, crank it all you want, there are limits. But none the less if you like vintage and classic tones it's the keystone. The Jubilees are very cool sounding amps if you can find one, great slash imitation (though defenatly not going to get you that tone), and the Bluesbreaker is more classic amp tones to go into the Marshall vintage vault (although I personally wasn't a big fan of the bluesbreaker).

I'm not really into Marshall, but the JMP preamp can be bought damn cheap on ebay, flawless interface and design, is very versatile, and if you're looking for that Marshall tone (classic crunch you can't find on a JCM 2000), then it's a great device. Very shaggadelic, very cheap.
-Mike
i can get a decent crunch on my DSL
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by alienboy18241
Does any one think the Line 6 Sypder II head is better than an AVT?

They're both crap. Are you really interested? Have a price range?
-Mike
From what you've described they're all meh. I always heard they were like a popular amp used in rock and metal. What amps are high gain? HopePoisoned described them all as like low gain amps.
no, not interested at all.
I actually own the AVT50HX, and when i was interested, the local music store didn't cary the AVTs, and instead tried 2 push the sale on a Line6. In my opinion, the L6 head was the worst head i have ever heard. Full blast and it barely did anything, and the "effects" sucked.

I just wanted to know if there was any one who actually liked it.
Hm, No one, ever gives the JTM credit...
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

I've played a Marshall Bluesbreaker quite a few times (JTM45 in a combo....) and I've loved it, gorgeous cleans and amazing tremelo channel, but I didn't get to crank it so it'd sound even better.

Happy Cmogi10?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I am very happy with my 1959SLP. One of the sweetest tones I have ever played.

UG NMA Member #2

Gil Grissom PWNS YOU!
you know, if youre going to spend money on a marshall tube head just get an ENGL fireball a little more expensive but far superior tone IMO.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^Find out yourself.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i tried a jtm 60, and didn't like it.

The tsl isn't great at all, the dsl 401 combo isn't great, and the dsl heads are decent, but not amazing. i tried a vintage marshall jtm 45 (i think) and that was more like it.

I haven't tried any other tube marshalls.

the modern marshalls (tube- not counting the reissues), in my opinion, sound too modern to have good vintage tones, and sound too vintage too have good modern tones. that's my opinion, of course.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i like the sound of my DSL becaus eits half way between modern and vintage. just what i wanted. of course dave is a picky bastard

i also tried one of the first JCM800's at about 3 on master and 10 on pre. orgasmic.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^ yeah, the problem with getting a great amp for (comparatively cheap). everything sounds like crap to me now.

I mean, seriously, I tried a screamer the other day, and wasn't impressed.

better start saving for that cornford hurricane and cornell romany plus...

and a splawn...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by alienboy18241
Wow, 150 didn't impress you?
Trust me though, playing an AVT with a high end cabinet and a gibson les paul custom, it sounds much better than everyone seems to think it could ever sound.

Wow, AVT's suck a*s trust us.

For 450 you can get loads of ncie tube amps, such as used Marshall JCM800's or JCM900's. JCM800 and 900's are alot etter than 2000's though.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
whats better is a matter of opinion there gabe. i prefer my amp over yours. preference.
oh and DSL's (i just found out) sound badass with low (drop b or a) tunings. very nice thick sound
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve

i also tried one of the first JCM800's at about 3 on master and 10 on pre. orgasmic.

yea, thats because early jcm800's are JMP's
Yeah. the even look like plexis, with a few differences.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
electronically, they are almost identical. They are essentially plexi's (1959's and 1987's) with master volumes (the ones with MV's anyway).
yeah well the 800 i played had master, pre, 2 inputs and was 100watts.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
As for JTM45 and other such classics from the Marshall past, I'm positive these amps all have great uses for those vintage tones. But otherwise, Marshall is completely unimpressive. In my last post I explained some of the amps that have their uses, but other than that...I don't know what to tell you.
-Mike
Quote by HopePoisoned
As for JTM45 and other such classics from the Marshall past, I'm positive these amps all have great uses for those vintage tones. But otherwise, Marshall is completely unimpressive. In my last post I explained some of the amps that have their uses, but other than that...I don't know what to tell you.

=(

It's ok, it's a taste and preference...

But I have a JTM45 that I built from a kit, same specs as the originals and it is one of my favorite amps ever.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Quote by HopePoisoned

Marshall is THE classic rock amp. mind telling me what the **** you expected from a classic rock amp? jeez some people...

hey gutch when were the first 800's made?
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Sorry to bitch, but i went to school with a guy (who later kicked me out of MY band.) Who thought he was the $hit because he played a squire strat through an AVT half-stack. Again, sorry, but I had to get that out of my system. On a more productive note, An old plexi is my dream amp, and IMO the best marshall makes. And yes MG's and AVT's suck balls.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Quote by Syn Harvest
No AVTs are crap with 450 dollars i could get a XXX combo and it own a AVT

For $450, you can also get some english lessons.

One Marshall amp that is cheap and didn't get a good mention here is the Valvestate series. These are the first and second generation models, not the current ones. You can find them used, and they come packed with tone. I wonder sometimes, how Marshall managed to get something wrong.
Quote by joel_grieve

hey gutch when were the first 800's made?

I think they started in March of 1981
Here goes kid... all you need to know about new marshall's

MG = solid state, thin compressed distortion
AVT = solid state, still compressed but not as thin
JCM600 = simple low gain tube circuit in clean channel, diode (not tube) distortion for CH2
JCM900 = medium gain tube circuit in clean channel, diode (not tube) distortion for CH2
DSL & TSL = medium gain tube circuit in clean channel, diode clipping on other channels

JCM800 = single channel medium gain all tube design - this is what guys who have been playing for years consider the ONLY new Marshall to consider. 80s metal... and punk is perfect for this amp.

1987X = Basically a 50 watt marshall plexi, all tube = think classic rock.

1959SLP = Real deal 100 watt all tube monster = classic rock with more volume.

ONE COMMENT ABOUT DIODE CLIPPING
It might sound good to you... it might sound good to your crowd... if that is the case awesome, but some of us can still tell the difference between diode clipping and tube clipping. Tubes are more natural, tubes are also much more responsive. But many guitar players obviously use amps with diode clipping and it never bothers them. Slash is one great example. His amp was the first marshall to include diode clipping for its 2nd channel!

Anyway, hope this helps.
My Favorite Rig Of The Moment

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior
Page 1 of 2