Poll: Which ToneStack for my designed booster/overdrive?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which ToneStack for my designed booster/overdrive?
Bassman 5F6
0 0%
Fender Twin AB763
3 21%
Vox AC-30 Top Boost
7 50%
Marshall 1987X
4 29%
Voters: 14.
Hey. I am in the process of designing my second pedal. Its going to be a smooth overdrive/booster pedal. Like my first designed pedal, this one will have a tonestack. Theres 4 different tone stacks I can choose from. They are:
1. Bassman 5F6
2. Fender Twin AB763
3. Vox AC-30 Top Boost
4. Marshall 1987X

Remember, this is for a smooth overdrive/booster pedal. Please vote in the poll.
Oh, and the faster I get responses to the poll, the faster I finish the schematic .

Its looking like another very versitile and awsome overdrive with some sweet features. I need name ideas for it too.
Quote by greenbox
Did you finish the daydrive already?
your sig doesn't have a link

I am finished the DayDrive schematic and I am halfway done laying it out on breadboard, but I just ordered parts like a few caps, resistors, pots, switches and am awaiting them so I can finish that.

I am probably not going to post the schematic or anything, but I dont know yet. I will keep everyone up to date though with once I breadboard it, if it works I will give soundclips and then keep you all up to date on the actual circuiting a board for it.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
I am finished the DayDrive schematic and I am halfway done laying it out on breadboard, but I just ordered parts like a few caps, resistors, pots, switches and am awaiting them so I can finish that.

I am probably not going to post the schematic or anything, but I dont know yet. I will keep everyone up to date though with once I breadboard it, if it works I will give soundclips and then keep you all up to date on the actual circuiting a board for it.

How does the Bazz Fuzz sound?
BAXANDALL!!!

Although I may be a tad biased.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
BAXANDALL??? Explain please

haha. oh yea and i decided to do the Fender Twin ToneStack. I found a really awsome program that I will recommend anyone who wants to design, or just add a tonestack to a pedal:
Duncan's ToneStack Calculator (Search it on google. Dont want to get banned for posting the link). So this is a great program that includes a few tonestacks, and you can see the frequency charts for each, and even make your own values and see a chart for it.
Sorry bout double post...

On the tonestack I am using, at the begining of the schematic theres something that is a circle with a ~ inside it. Sortof looks like (~). It has the value of 38k next to it, ad is labeled "Zsrc". So what is this for? Is this just a buffer resistor for the begining of the ToneStack, or is it something else?
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Sorry bout double post...

On the tonestack I am using, at the begining of the schematic theres something that is a circle with a ~ inside it. Sortof looks like (~). It has the value of 38k next to it, ad is labeled "Zsrc". So what is this for? Is this just a buffer resistor for the begining of the ToneStack, or is it something else?

The baxandall tone stack is the "james" model on that program.

The Zsrc is the source impedance and needs to be calculated from the output of the proceeding stage.

EDIT: Generally on a baxandall you get a treble and bass control (but you can adapt it for 3 band but it's far from necessary) and the mid frequency and amplitude stays fixed. This allows you to get a scoop OR a boost in the mids, something no other stack has. Hence why I use it in all my designs, but remember you generally vary from -12dB to +12dB so you need to make sure the following circuit can take it without overloading.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
o ok cool. i think im just going to do the Fender one for now because it just looks nice for a Overdrive/Boost pedal.

So what do I do for the Zsrc? Do I just put a 38k resistor there since that's the value, or what?
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
So what do I do for the Zsrc? Do I just put a 38k resistor there since that's the value, or what?

There's no component or anything... Zsrc is a result of the proceeding stage. Compare the marshall and fender tonestacks on the program, the main difference is the Zsrc value because on the marshall the tone stack is after a cathode follower and on the fender it's fed straight off the plate, and obviously this has a huge effect on the tone.

Decide on where your tone stack's going to be, draw out the proceeding stage with all values included. Calculate the output impedance, add this as the Zsrc value and use the program to get the tone stack response you want.

ok thanks. how do i calculate the output inpedence? I have everything before and after the tonestack drawn out, I just need to figure out how to add this.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
ok thanks. how do i calculate the output inpedence? I have everything before and after the tonestack drawn out, I just need to figure out how to add this.

What sort of stage is before it?

If you just go into google and type "such and such stage output impedance" you should get what you're looking for. (obviously replace "such and such" with common emitter or whatever.)

But thinking about it... Surely you would need to work out output impedance to calculate any coupling caps values? Meh.. You must design in a completely different way to me.

haha yea i must design different.

right before the tonestack is an input section going into a transistor. the bottom of the transistor goes to a low pass filter. I am thinking that the top of the transistor will go to the tonestack, then to the diode clipping stage, then to my special added features, then to master volume, then to output.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
haha yea i must design different.

right before the tonestack is an input section going into a transistor. the bottom of the transistor goes to a low pass filter. I am thinking that the top of the transistor will go to the tonestack, then to the diode clipping stage, then to my special added features, then to master volume, then to output.

What do you mean by a low pass filter? A resistor/cap in parallel?

I think you mean a common emitter stage (or as you're using FETs I guess a common source stage.)

yea probably the common emitter or source stage. Im using a J201 trans. Yea its not exactly a low pass filter because both the resistor and capacitor go to ground.