Page 1 of 3
Some old metallers told me a story..
When they were our age and blah blah , they were so into metal that they would listen to it their whole lives. but now !!!...!!... these so called metallers told me that when you grow up , you have to be mature and not listening to metal , but listen to rock ...
57% of metallers stop listening to this music when they reach their 30ies or have a family ...
So when do you stop listening to metal ???????????

Quote : ( Kerry king) . "There's like an unwritten rule, especially in America, to where you reach a certain age and you can't like metal anymore. You're supposed to grow up. You're supposed to wear your ****ing khakis and a shirt with a collar. But you can't listen to metal. You've got to listen to ****ing Barry Manilow or whatever the hell it is.

"I'm still 17. That's probably why our music kicks so much ass, because we're still kids. You don't have to grow up.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
I'm not going to. I will have the same interest in Metal now 20, 30 etc years down the road. Can't say that as a promise, though.
Last edited by SGRocker0791 at Jul 25, 2006,
You do realise that the majority of UGers haven't hit puberty yet? I suppose that would mean I'm relatively old. I still like it.
dude, good metal will never die, im gonna be headbanging in the retirement home till im dead. metal for life!

long live Bodom

\m/Hatecrew\m/
I don't think there's an age when you stop listening to metal. However, I think people get tired of listening to metal after listening to it for so many years. (or maybe they lose their hearing first. ha)
[sigh]

Listening to metal or any form of heavy music should NEVER be taken as a sign of immaturity. That's ridiculous.
How can we separate fact from fiction in a world where we are desensitized by our own minds?
The only reason people see it that way is because the people who listen to metal their whole life live in their moms basement and haven't done anything with their lives. A lot of the people who you talk to that say that they used to listen to it grew up. They have jobs and families. Their taste in music just changed. What's the big deal?

I used to love metal, but now I am into jazz and funk. It is just a change in taste.
Quote by coolbassguy
The only reason people see it that way is because the people who listen to metal their whole life live in their moms basement and haven't done anything with their lives. A lot of the people who you talk to that say that they used to listen to it grew up. They have jobs and families. Their taste in music just changed. What's the big deal?

I used to love metal, but now I am into jazz and funk. It is just a change in taste.

I'll stop listening to metal around 28, or just the br00tal stuff. I'll listen to more easy listening music that has talent or great lyrics, like jazz or Bob Dylan.

It's not a case of "growing up" per say, just that one's interests might(will) change, it's not like everyone was born loving metal, or rather *loved the first metal song they heard over other music.
Im 26 and was raised by metal (not literally)-i got a 9-5 job and was surrounded by cleekey assholes who liked any music which was fasionable. great example-the darkness-they ****ing hated rock and metal but they were the in-band in 2004 so they all loved them.
Since i left the job i frequent with other metallers as well as jazz musicians and whatever. You have to be yourself-whether that means not hangin with some assholes so be it.

As henry rollins put it 'we are the only generation who will be more extreme by listening to slayer, than our parents and our kids (who will probably like some techni ****) Great line.Long live METAL

When that happens.
Kein Engel kommt um euch zu rächen...

Quote by Spynal
I think I speak for the entire metal forum when I say it is an absolute HONOR to have you on these forums Mr. Vikernes.
You dont have to be bored .. i mean there is a big variety of metal you can listen to..
Fe : When you're feeling down you can listen to savatge ballads..
When you re happy you can listen to hammerfall .
When you re angry , you listen to slayer , destruction and all thrash metal bands.
When you feel "satanic" * , you listen to black metal .
or when you want to relax , you listen to metal ballads. .
if you love metal music you will always find a way to listen to it , and if some britney spears or jlo turd comes to you with an atitude saying that metal sucks.. crucify em...
Everybody has the right to listen to anything he wants , anybody who judges and the music the other person is listening to (with foul language or anything) , he should be punched in the face.

I dont know if i'm making any sence.
^Lol, nice one.

If you get interested in other music, that's fine. Personally metal helped me find good music, now I'm starting to listen to alot of stuff. I like to think I'll keep listening to metal, but do I know that? Nope, I'm still very young, who knows. But liking metal isn't a sign of being filled with angst or immature, it's just music.
That is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. So you have to stop listening to metal at a certain age? Honestly...
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
I don't believe if you like something you have to stop liking it just for the sake of your family and maturity. That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever ****ing heard in fact. If you like metal, then keep goddamn liking metal if that's what you want to listen to. If your tastes change, fine, I can understand that. But stop being yourself because you're too old and have to act "mature" and "normal" ??

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Ill stop listening to metal if I ever lose interest in it and thats the only reason why I would ever stop listening to metal.
OBVIOUSLY you won't stop like something for the sake of "growing up" if you really like it. But chances are like I said your tastes will change over time, maybe not, and some laters than others.
Quote by technicolour
OBVIOUSLY you won't stop like something for the sake of "growing up" if you really like it. But chances are like I said your tastes will change over time, maybe not, and some laters than others.

Well some people actually do stop listening to things for the sake of growing up. Hence this thread.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Personally i'll listen to metal 'till I die...I dont give a crap about what other people think or society thinks..
Music is music... either it is metal or smth else. every person has a right to listen to whatever he wants , we dont say aything to the other mother****ing justin timberlake or jlo wannabees , so why do they have to break our balls with metal ?

**** all of them , I hate every single genre besides metal but I DO NOT tell other people what to listen to cause that's their right, like it is our right to listen to metal when we want , how we want and whenever the **** we want.
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
Well some people actually do stop listening to things for the sake of growing up. Hence this thread.

Posers
my cousin actually went the opposite way.. as a teenager and stuff he didn't listen to metal then when he hit around mid - lower 20's he got into metal and he has a family and everything, he has a couple kids that aren't above 5 but he'll play like rage against the machine, koRn's first cd (their only decent one) and like sepultura and stuff in front of them and everything.
Quote by lou_dog69
the moral of the story is keep your jizz covered fingers out of virgins vaginas... HOLY CRAP that explains how mary was a virgin!!! the bible finally makes sense
Quote by <><
Nuveau-metalhead?

As far as I know it's "nouveau"

And I may get tired of metal one day, who knows. I'm on a break of metal lately and have been listening to nothing but country music. Having many musical tastes though raises your chances of you not getting weary of a genre of music.
That's not even true. I've seen plenty of older metalheads, and even if they don't look like it, they still listen to it. And many older looking guys at metal shows (even a guy with long grey hair). It's definately not true, and even less true that you have to "mature" and listen to rock. Metal is the most technically and musically mature genre out of all rock offshoots.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
I was talking about a percentage dude , I wasnt talking about ALL metalheads.
I love metal, but once I reach 25 I'm giving it up!

Hell no. I may get bored of it and grow towards other genres, but I'll always respect metal no matter what.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Thats what I'm talking about.. Even IF someone gives up metal for smth else he still has to show some respect to the genre unlike some other dudes.
You shouldn't stop listening to metal as you get older, but maybe you should stop going to metal concerts at a certain age. otherwise you might weird out the younger kids.
You are not a slave...
Quote by toolfan_121
You shouldn't stop listening to metal as you get older, but maybe you should stop going to metal concerts at a certain age. otherwise you might weird out the younger kids.

Lol , i've seen 50 year old ppl with grey hair kicking asses in a slayer concert..
Metal is for all ages.
Quote by Necrolust
Lol , i've seen 50 year old ppl with grey hair kicking asses in a slayer concert..
Metal is for all ages.

word

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Metal is a genre, and as any other genre, you grow into it, indulge in it's loyalty, and once you've had enough, you move on. It happens with jazz, it happens with blues, it happens with classic rock, it happens with nu-metal. Remember when you worshipped Slipknot and Korn? Limp Bizkit? Take down your elite walls for a moment, and go dig into your closet for that faded Mudvayne shirt, the scratched Adema record.

If you're a fan of metal enough to be here, then of course you're not going to think you'll someday not like it. When you move on, you probably won't be here to tell about it. Enjoy it while you do enjoy it, but there's no need to hold onto it when you no longer have the passion for it. It'll always be here, waiting for your return - and if you don't, well, then the metal turns to doom, full of hatred and sadness that you never returned, and if you did return, it would ruin the whole feel of the music, and thus not be metal. And we don't want that, do we?
me =/= agree with spike

I'll always love metal. So much divesity in the whole genre. I like a crapload of other genres too, including nu-metal, metalcore, jazz, blues, shred, classical, rap/hip hop, classic rock, etc.., so with so much diversity, it's hard for me to grow tired of one genre.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
^exactly. Metal is diverse enough to be able to vary what you listen to. And like has been said numerous times a lot of metal fans also listen to a variety of other genres anyway

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Necrolust
Metal is for all ages.

1 up.

I had a long conversation with a 67 year old guy at a Decapitated concert.

Edit: But I can't predict the future, for whatever reason, my tastes my change. And in that case I won't really mind. But I seem to be the sort of person who can still appreciate what I listened to ages ago. Eg, I still have respect for (early) Korn, and I know I wouldn't have liked what they are putting out these days as I went off them when they started taking the route they've taken. And I still play my old Papa Roach albums from time to time. So even if I go off of metal for whatever reason, I'm sure it will still mean a lot to me.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Last edited by theguitarist at Jul 25, 2006,
Page 1 of 3