I want to be an excellent bass player in every genre, but right now, my main interest is more like a nu-metal or shredding (and I also like disco )type of thing. Shavo Odadjian is like my hero in bass, so I want to take up alot of his technique/style. Some other influences on me are Billy Sheehan, Duff McKagen, and ironically, Stu Hamm. I also want to be able to shred on a bass like Yngwie on his guitar. I play pickstyle(with my trusty custom made pick cut-out from a blank CD), and sometimes fingerstyle when I can't find a pick. Also classical is starting to become an influence me. At my dad's house, he has a "teach yourself" keyboard, so I tabbed down some of Fur Elise(I can barely read music) and I'm loving it. Right now I'm playing in the CGCF tuning for those low notes in SOAD songs as well. Now that I got all that out of the way...Is there any tips or advice more experienced players can give me at becoming better in this type of playing(besides practice, I know that, lol)?
Well, other than practice, there isn't much other than just don't give up, and if you feel like you are bored, change the way you are practicing. Finding a band is another big part. Learn your theory, and stay in the pocket, and groove!

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
wow vi thought i was the only person in the world who cut up a cd for a pick once wow i wish you the best of luck in youre travels. learn youre scales, and try guitar leads on bass, or try improving over songs, find a good band, promote youre band to the best of youre ability
Quote by casualty01

btw, you're annoying me.

banned.

Cas-
I'm not totally seeing the shred bass - SOAD connection

However, you did mention Billy Sheehan. I'm not an expert on the man myself, but the few videos I have seen feature shred-tapping. It would be useful to drop the pick, if only for this occaision, to work on tapping if he is an artist you wish to emulate. Can you alternate pick like the wind? Down strokes alone won't cut it. Other than that... practice, lol.

Sorry if I was unhelpful for the most part, I don't really deal with that style of playing.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
I am kind of in a band, it was me and two guitarists until we kicked out the rhythm guitarist because it seemed like he didn't play anymore, the lead guitarist is my best friend so we get along perfectly without fighting, and he also understands the necessity of bass(yay), lets me solo if I want to (yay), still thinks that bass is easier(nobodies perfect), but we're cool with each other. We learn alot of covers and we're starting to make origionals, which is hard without a singer or drummer, so I play alot with the "band" and practice alot, I just want to have good ideas of what exactly to practice to excel in this genre(for now), I'm getting lessons soon, and I'll tell the teacher about it...So anyway, what exactly should I practice, just play from tabs, or spend most of my time just playing certain scales (my favorite scale to play in is the Locrian, I don't know why, lol), and I'm also trying to learn as much theory as possible to be able to make my own basslines.
Edit...wow, late post, lol, I do play without a pick sometimes, and tap a hell of alot, still a newbie though, but getting there, I'm also just starting to see how harmonics work
Quote by ARCtrooper225
I play pickstyle(with my trusty custom made pick cut-out from a blank CD)

that cant be good for your strings...

anyways, if you're into metal and nu-metal I assume you listen to or at least have heard some Mudvayne...Ryan Martinie is indeed a beast to put it lightly...Definitely play as many Mudvayne songs as you can, Ryan incorporates a lot of different techniques in his bass playing such as slapping, tapping, chords, and arpegiated chords too (I think thats what its called)...Try the song "severed" and anything else from LD 50..."Choices", "Not Falling", etc are also good...

for some more interesting metal basslines you can listen to some Progressive Metal/Rock such as Dream Theater, Symphony X and Tool (prog rock/alternative metal/i dunno)...Here are some songs to try
Dream Theater - "the Dance of Eternity" "Ytse Jam" "Honor THy Father"
Symphony X - "Sea of Lies"
Tool - "Schism" "The Grudge" "The Pot" "Lateralus"

I know you should work on your theory and scales (try doing major/minor scales in two octaves, not hard but useful) but also I think you should play other bands songs to witness how these aspects of theory and scales are applied to basslines...

<EDIT> Also, your username...is that from the Star wars battlefront games?
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 25, 2006,
Quote by XeNoCiDe730

...Ryan Martinie is indeed a beast to put it lightly...

nothing short of a perfect way to put it yea i try to play alot of mudvayne songs and it helps me with slapping and stuff but the thing i love about ryan so much is he finds such an amazing incorperate completely different music styles into mudvayne
im talking about ld50 of course there new stuff is ok but deffinitly ld50 is better

Quote by OutlawMusician
I wish I could find a band

true dat, i with i coudl find one to
^yea thats what the most interesting about his style...he incorporates a lot of slap in LD50 and not a lot of other other bassists in the 345097834508973 subgenres of metal do that...I'm sure some do but he really brought it to the nu-metal genre, although I think Paul from Slipknot did a little bit of slapping on MFKR, I'm not sure...

and when Ryan does slap it just fits so perfectly with the music...I know hes not the greatest bassist ever so please no one go "He sucks and nu-metal is not really metal its crap with cookie monster vocals and repetitive riffs in Drop J!"...

BTW that drop J was joke, I'm aware that there is no J...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Lol, thanks guys, and yes, my username is from battlefront
About Mudvayne and dream theater,and the rest, I recently got into this (and I hate slipknot) are they all that satanic stuff or are they just a regular nu-metal band with good songs, I just can't stand those songs that are all "Satan, hail satan," over and over again, other stuff too
And BTW, there is no Drop J but there is a drop H, german music has an H in the music alphabet(it's a high A)
I'm pretty sure none of those bands have ever said "Hail satan." Now, they may mention Satan, but they don't tell people to worship him.

Anyway....I've always wanted to play classically inspired bass shred. It would be amazing. My advice, listen to classical music, get a feel for it, listen to how it sounds and try and incorperate that into your playing.

When I need to be inspried I watch videos on Youtube of shred bassists and guitarists and just study them with my ears and eyes.

There really is nothing you can do other then practice to get better. You may not want to hear this but...

Practice, practice, practice!
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
mudvayne is definitely not satanic dude and neither is Slipknot they just go for the image and the rebellion scene hence the "If you're 555 I'm 666' crap...the theme of Mudvayne's first album is from Stanley Kubricks movie "2001: A Space Odyssey" (this is evident in the opening track "Monolith" and the songs "Prod" and "internal Primates Forever", plus it mentions the movie in the liner notes, lol) and it has a lot to do with narcotics and hallucinogenics, ie drugs (this is evident in the songs "Pharmaecopia" as well as "monolith" and "Dig") and it has a few personal, abstract and political songs ("Cradle", "Nothing to gein" and "Everything and Nothing" respectively)...but thats already probably more than you wanted to know...Point being, mudvayne is definitely not the satanic type and their music is very interesting (riffs, time-signatures, Ryans kick ass bass playing and Matts phenomenal drum work) not "Heil satan, hail satan," at all..I reccomend the album "LD 50" or "The End of All Things to Come"...

neither is Dream Theater or Symphony X...or Tool...They are all great bands though and you should check em out if you want to hear some good music with great bassists...they're not too different from what you like now, maybe Dream Theater and Symphony X will be wierd for you at first but the others wont take long to digest....and if you dont like it, thats ok you can still study it for the musicianship...I also recommend checking out some of the legendary bassists..

Jaco Pastorious, Victor Wooten, Bill Dickens, you know, the usual

As for Tools message...er..read my sig and you will be close to begining to see the messages they get across..
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 25, 2006,
Cool, and thanks, and yes I do plan on practicing, lots, I'm just wodering what is my priority to practice, like alot of this technique, and that technique, you know. I'm currently learning question! and BYOB, learning it by pick, but trying fingerstyle, too. Just for reference, how does the bassists from Dream theater, Symphony X, mudvayne, etc...tune?
Also, I forgot to put, any particular scales used in that stuff(I'm not that good with my ear...yet).
on the first album (LD50) Ryan and Greg (guitarist) tune to drop B, but in the two later albums they play in Drop C which is what you use now playing SOAD songs I think...

Dream theater...it depends, same with Symphony X but I honestly dont know much about them...BTW the guy from Dream Theater used a 4 string on the first two DT albums and then switched to a 6 stringer...

And the boys from Tool play in drop D...

If you have Guitar Pro you can look up most of these songs and download a full tab of it (guitar, bass, drums, etc) and you can have the program actually play the song for you, it shows the rythms in tab and musical notation format and you can slow it down and do lots of cool stuff with it...I'll see if I can find the freeware version of GP4 because that one can last forever, the new one GP5 only lasts for 15 days and then shuts down...so...tell me if you're interested...

I can tell you one thing though, this program has helped my playing immensely...It babies me though, now I dont like normal tabs

<EDIT>
about the scales and stuff...I really cant tell you about that...for one MY ear isnt that great either (though you can deduce from certain patterns that a certain scale may be used, however many times this isnt the case) and because the music is so ever changing...But I've been told that the harmonic minor and the pentatonic scales are commonly used in most modern rock music...However, Dream theater and the Symphony are far from common modern rock...Theres so much theory being used there its hard to wrap your head around...and I've tried, lol...

Also, those Dream Theater and Symphony X songs I mentioned might be too hard for you to play now, but you should still definitely listen to em if you've got like kazaa or something...
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 26, 2006,
yes, very interested, i think i have GP5 because im on day 9 of 15
and I think CGCF(SOAD songs) is Drop-D/whole step down, BTW, I might as well ask, when I get my new bass, I wanna buy new strings so when I tune that low, my Low c doesnt buzz/flop, any gauge tips( im getting an Ibanez Iceman) and can I install a trem bridge in it if I want to, without too much work? I tried it and I love the sound, I just wanna use a whammy for solos and stuff
Also, what genre would you consider Racer X?
^probably straight up shred...a lot of Dream Theater's songs sound similar to Racer X in a way Myung (bassist) and Petrucci (Guitarist) really like to shred on their instruments, though Myung doesnt do it that much...not as much as he should IMO...

anyways for drop tuning use heavy gauge strings if you dont want a floppy C...Thats what I did when I played my Mudvaye 24/7, lol...The thicker strings create more tension which = less flop...This also kinda messes with the setup of the bass so you might want to get the bass properly setup when you put the new strings on;...just ask a professional about a setup using heavier gauge strings than usual, he'll know what you mean...and he/she will adjust the action, and the trussrod accordingly..

And I dont know about that trem bridge...that will take a lot of wood out of the bass (sapping some tone and sustain) and a lot of money (trem bridges are expensive and the work to put em in will cost a lot as well)...But if you're dead set on it, ask around some more, maybe make a thread about and the friendly folks here will tell you more pros and cons, btw you definitely wont be able to do any divebomb type stuff with a bass trem...

I'll look for the GP4 right now, I'm pretty sure I know where to get it..
lol, yea I wouldnt count on it...I've never played a bass with a trem on it though so I can be wrong...

<EDIT>
damn I cant find the guitar pro 4 anywhere!...it was easier when 4 was the only version available, lol...sorry dude, looks like you're stuck with GP5, maybe you can just download it again when the trial expires...and put your tabs in some other folder...

if you want, I can check if I can email it to you, but I dont think that'll work...

<DOUBLE EDIT>
NVM I found where to host the file and here it is...

http://www.verzend.be/v/1877103/Guitar_Pro_4.zip.html

If you click on the link and it says "WARNING....WARNING...FILE NOT FOUND" just click on it again the server's probably busy...I've clicked on this link like 8 times to make sure it works and it only led me to the file like 5 out of those 8 times...

when the file is downloaded click on the Guitarprodemo.exe and click on the extract files thingie and then run the program, when the guitarpro thing comes up and says "Trial has expired, blah blah" just press the "Let me try before" button and it goes away...unfortunately it comes up a lot...It should work, tell me if it doesnt, I've also got to give this to some other people too...
first off xenocide730 you write to much your minimum is like 3 paragraphs lol but yea ive learned byob its to reatative tho dont get me wroing i love system i know alot of there songs (i jsut wish i could get my guitarist to aswell and we could jamm out to more song ) and question is a pretty hard song i mean considering shavo only does rythmic type bass lines
Quote by CrazyBassist
first off xenocide730 you write to much your minimum is like 3 paragraphs lol but yea ive learned byob its to reatative tho dont get me wroing i love system i know alot of there songs (i jsut wish i could get my guitarist to aswell and we could jamm out to more song ) and question is a pretty hard song i mean considering shavo only does rythmic type bass lines

lol, I Cant help it!!...i do write a lot but its boring or repetetive is it?...I have something to say when i write a lot...usually..

and you can just call me xeno, I've been on this forum long enough to wonder what the hell I was high off of when I came up with that username, lol...just a joke, I dont get high, I lick toads though. :stickpoke

<EDIT> To: ARC
tell me if its working or not when you finish the download alright...cool