I am poor. Let me get this out of the way quick. My friends and I are wanting to build a PA system out of some old speakers and such. Does anybody know what we should use? We have speakers, so what else do we need?
My gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul 100 (left-handed)
-Ibanez GRX20L (left-handed)
-Squire acoustic
-Epiphone Valve Junior Head Tube amp
-1x12 Cab
It all depends on what you need. musiciansfriend.com is one of the cheapest places to buy gear from. You will need a mixer(depending on how many channels you need the price will vary) and depending on weather or not its a powered mixer you may need a power amp. you will obviously need microphones, and 1/4" cables. You will need XLR cables as well.
GEAR:
67' Gibson ES-335(Cherry)
Oscar Schmidt Delta King
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
PEDALBOARD:
TC Electronic Polytune
Fulltone GT-500
Vox Wah
Ernie Ball volume
Sparkle Drive (clean boost)
Boss DD-20
Since i've just about built a PA system (kinda lol) ill tell you what i did:

We started with 2 cabinets, both housing... 1 ten or twelve inch speaker each (i forget the size lol) . These were our cousins stuff, and they didnt work, so we got em for free, you could probably ask around if anyone has not working cabinets for free, as basically its just the plywood youre buyin (by that i mean just get a decent housing for the speaker). make sure you get a grille thing and the... actually i dont know what its called, but the little Part where you connect the 2 wires, theres always a Red and Black toggley switch

So anyway: we went to some crap store and bought 2 new 12" speakers (were supposed to be sub's for cars) and they costs us like 20$ each.

after getting working cabinets, we needed a mixer or something. Now we knew our PA system was just for vocals, so if you're planning on different instruments running through this, you'd probly not do what we did. We went to our nearest pawn shop and bought a new karaoke machine yeah, sounds stupid, but hey its a Power amp/mixer with reverb/2 band EQ, a few more features, and its 100 Watts ! that set us back 100$.

so by that time we had a working Pa System with 2 1x12 cabinets and a 100W PA/mixer that cost us 140ish bucks plus tax

Currency is canadian.
Yeah. We're just going to use the one we make for vocals. Nice ideamangablade. We'll try that since we were planning something like that.
My gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul 100 (left-handed)
-Ibanez GRX20L (left-handed)
-Squire acoustic
-Epiphone Valve Junior Head Tube amp
-1x12 Cab