What do you guys think about the Ibanez S Prestiges? If I get one I will mostly use it for metal (Iron Maiden, Metallica, God Forbid, Lamb of God, Metallica, In Flames, etc.) What are the pros, cons, and anything else that you think about these guitars?

I'll give you some links incase you need them,

First one: http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=S2170FB

Second one: http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=S2170FW
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
I'm getting a S470DXQ (Ibanez sucks at naming guitars) and its amazing. S series is great for the money.
Dickless.
A bit of personal opinion of mine from an earlier thread:

Quote by pifty

I've played the new prestige S series, and with my eyes closed, I'd have said I'm holding my 470. You get same neck dimensions, same bridge, pickups with slightly more life in them, and over double the number on the price sticker. Both are (I'm almost certain) Korean. The figured tops look sweet, but I don't know if they're worth a few hundred bucks. And by that I mean: I know they're not worth it.

and then

Quote by pifty
Not that Korean prestiges are shoddy, no - they're stuck together well, nothing orgasmic, but they look nice, feel okay. But dammit, Korean S and SZ prestiges cost more than any Fujigen RGs (RGT and RGA excluded). If moving most of the prestige line to Korea was a price cutting measure then it was a pretty offbeat marketing decision. I'd think of buying one of those S prestige things if it was $700, but for $1200? It's a price of a USA deluxe strat.

Makes me think I was on to something when I spent half of that money to get an S540 and an RG570 both of which feel better than the Korean prestiges.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Last edited by pifty at Jul 25, 2006,
from what i know all prestiges are mij and non prestige are mik. ^are you positive the S prestige is korean?
Quote by The 1
from what i know all prestiges are mij and non prestige are mik. ^are you positive the S prestige is korean?

Since 2006, the only models Ibanez assembles in Fujigen, Japan are RG/RGA/RGT prestige and some signatures - JEM and JS, maybe AT, K7, and the hollowbody sigs (not sure about anything aside from JEM and JS). SA, SZ, S prestige series are Korean. GIOs are Indonesian, and Artcores are Chinese, if memory serves.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
^ I beleive only the prestige RGs and signature modles are MIJ.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
do you know why they chose to move some prestiges to korean while leaving others in Japan?

also in that case, i would say just go for the s470 or s470dxqm (if you want quilt)since the s prestiges are 2x the cost of a s470dxqm. and pifty said, there's no noticeable difference.

If you do decide to go for a s470, try to check it out first since i've heard it has bad quality control.
Quote by The 1
do you know why they chose to move some prestiges to korean while leaving others in Japan?

Transitional move, if you ask me. I wouldn't be surprised if they move most or all production to Korea in the next couple of years... Capitalism at work.
^pifty are you selling your s470 on ebay?

I saw that same guitar (same pickups) by piftypoof
Quote by The 1
^pifty are you selling your s470 on ebay?

I saw that same guitar (same pickups) by piftypoof

Correct. Wanna buy? It's awesome, but I got a couple of new projects coming up, so selling that one.
ive gotta prestige S and its gotta Lo Pro Edge. i love it. anyway, i've heard the ZRs are smoother with less range and that Edge's are more range w/ less control. there doesnt seem to be enough difference (minus finish) to justify the price difference.
Ovation Celebrity
MIJ STRAT
Ibanez Prestige S1220WNF
modded Ibanez GAX75
Fender tuner-DIGITECH EX-7-BOSS SD1-Ibanez CF7-Tech 21 TM 60
(LOOP)Boss DD20(Loop)
My soundclick page
Quote by angusyoungwanab
ive gotta prestige S and its gotta Lo Pro Edge. i love it. anyway, i've heard the ZRs are smoother with less range and that Edge's are more range w/ less control. there doesnt seem to be enough difference (minus finish) to justify the price difference.

Yours is old enough that it's still Japanese. Lucky you!

I'm still luckier!
GIOs are from China, a lot of lower end ones are from China, just look at the serial number, it starts with an A. Hell even the Steve's Euphoria EP9 showing at Namm 2006 is made in China. I dont know what they're thinking at the moment. As from Indonesia they've cut down quite a bit production from there.

Non prestiges like RGs are from Korea, serialed C or W, shipped by cardboard boxes while Prestiges are from Japan, F, shipped in cases. Not sure about moving all the prestiges lines to Korea though.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Hm.. Most of the GIOs I pick up (I'd say all that I've picked up, I don't touch them often) have I serial numbers. Some SAs do too - I'd expect those to be at least Korean... the price tags on those are hefty for usual Indonesian junk.

Artcores are Chinese, but I recall Rich of Ibanezrules fame say that the Artcore Customs are quite damn awesome despite being Chinese. Vai's Euphoria is likely manufactured in the same room, so to say.

Whatever goes, I can positively say that I'm not buying another new Ibanez for as long as their marketing chooses to take the sweatshop route.
Hmm, most China manufactured gear are shipped througout Asia, except Japan. Not sure 'bout US though, perhaps ur right. But still, there're differences between MIJ, MIK, MIC or MII Ibanez. I can see from China's one (not all) they're pretty neglected (the supervisor maybe) coz i own one. The pickup's placing isnt perfectly aligned. MIJ owns all with having the most superior quality control but yeah, usually the price/shipment is expensive and i think thats why they move production wise to Korea.

They'd do anything to make it as cheap as possible, just like the olde Edge conspiracy, thats why they make the Edge III.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I have this article bookmarked from a while ago, and the key thing to me on the whole Korea deal is this bit:

Quote by Jim Donahue
In 1991, my president called me in and said he needed somebody to go to Korea. We had just switched factories from Japan to Korea because the exchange rates were making Japanese guitars so expensive. They wanted me to teach the Koreans what a guitar is. Koreans knew how to make guitars, but not what it was. They can make a clock, a boat, a semiconductor, a guitar, but they don’t understand that a guitar has soul. That’s why the Japanese were always so good at making guitars and why the Chinese haven’t quite got it. When I used to go to the factories in Japan in the late 1980s, all the guys in the factories were in bands—they could’ve been a John Lennon or a Beatles cover band or an AC/DC cover band, but it didn’t matter—every guy was really into guitars. You’d go in there and say: “What do you have?” They’d say, “I spent all my money, and I have a ‘64 Fender Duo Sonic.” He’d be so into it and know everything about it.

Japanese factories produce musical instruments, while Korean factories churn out profit margins. The more sweatshoppy it gets, the more true that is. I wouldn't be surprised if they move the production of any guitar on which they predict massive sales to Korea simply because people will buy them en masse anyways for the reputation.

And EdgeIII... I don't believe it's really a cost cutting measure. To think about it, equipping those trems with an excellent knife edge would cost pennies more, but they have to make EIII crap to stimulate sales of higher level guitars. If Ibanez put good bridges in RG3xx, we wouldn't tell every person asking about them to stay away from that axe, and RG1570 sales would drop 80%. Pure marketing... Edge III is designed to be bad. I fear for S series too - ZR is good, and nobody in their sane rational mind would pay $1200 for an S prestige with the same hardware and neck profile as a $500 S470. What will they do about that? Who knows.
touche~

But Ibanez is losing customers in certain ways. They arent as many choice as there are back in the 90s. They should really consider reissuing some of the 7xx and 5xx models. And talk about color choice, black black black, white, white, and the only thing thats making good sales are getting really boring, JEM7VW, RG1570, S470/520EX, RG321MHs just to name a few.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic