Where do you guys prefer to buy your guitar or guitar products from Ebay or MusiciansFriend?
Umm, if im looking for something brand new musiciansfriend, used or a reduced price ebay...

Why does it matter? ......
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
I prefer Musician's Friend because most of the stuff is new and it has guarantees and warranties and stuff. Plus you dont know if your getting cheated or not on ebay. Musician's Friend is a lot safer.

yes, you may get better deals on ebay sometimes, but would you rather go cheap and risk getting ripped off, or spend a bit more and have a warranty?
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
for me if it is something big such as an amp or a guitar maybe then i will probably go to musiciansfriend just because of the safety and the items are new but i will probably check ebay to see if maybe i can make a last minute steal on a good amp or guitar. if it is something like a pedal or something not so expensive i will look around on ebay and maybe find a good one for a few bucks, if not i'll go to musiciansfriend or some other online dealer.
If you want it new, buy it over the counter.

I got some gems on eBay... My mint S540, a flametop RG570, the ESP strat, the latest - an AX1220 for $160 (waiting for that one now). eBay's great if you know what you're looking for and how to look for it, but it's not something you compare to a mass retailer with their warranties and guarantees.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Last edited by pifty at Jul 25, 2006,
Quote by pifty
If you want it new, buy it over the counter.

I got some gems on eBay... My mint S540, a flametop RG570, the ESP strat, the latest - an AX1220 for $160 (waiting for that one now). eBay's great if you know what you're looking for and how to look for it, but it's not something you compare to a mass retailer with their warranties and guarantees.

nice guitars dude. love'em.
Quote by t.t deville
I have read somewere on the internet that Gibson Les Pauls are getting discontinued...is it true?
I deal locally using craigslist, much much cheaper than Ebay and you have the reassurance of actually getting to meet the person you are dealing with fave to face.
Musiciansfriend is more reliable, Ebay is cheaper and riskier, and music stores are better alltogether.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
EBAY. if you know what you are doing (which it seems like not too many people do) ebay can be your best friend. i have saved about 2 grand on gear.

and i buy stuff from music 123, they are cheaper adn easier to get along with IMO
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by Amped
what's craigslist? and how does it work?

Craigslist.org. It works best if you live next to a big city, but people post what they have for sale, and you email them and arrange to meet up and test it out, and sometimes even barter on the price. I have gotten some rediculous deals from craigslist that make Ebay seem like an overpriced waste of time. Of course what you want might not be posted all the time, but thier is new stuff being posted every day.
Musician's Friend is DEFINATLEY More Prefrable if you're gonna buy a New Instrament...but if you're looking for something really specific like a Classic Guitar (like for example lets-say an Original 1969 James Burton Pink Paisley Fender Telecaster...) then eBay or Craigslist.com would probably be a better way to go...but BEWARE!! I Bought an 80's Gibson Explorer off of eBay once & when I Got that guitar it was a MESS... I Had to Replace the Pickups, Change the Saddles, change the Tuning Machines, Set the intonation, Take the Guitar apart, Remove the neck, Shim it, then Set the action so frets above 12 would work....It was a GIANT Ordeal...but now that it's all finished, it was worth it I guess...
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Instrumentexchange.com is another option they have a lot of actual retailers selling blems and discontinued models there too. I got an Epi Elitist SG with a headstock finish crack for $100. If the seller doesn't arrange to ship in 5 days they cancel the sale and you get your cash back. Another advantage is they control the shipping so you don't end up with a $200 ax with $150 shipping deals like ebay.
Quote by ofdwolf
<snip> ...so you don't end up with a $200 ax with $150 shipping deals like ebay.

eBay's not a store, it's just a means of connecting the seller and the buyer. The reasonable thing is to ask a seller how much they'd charge you for shipping to your area before you bid or buy, so you don't end up with a $200 ax with $150 shipping. Take some responsibility, you're dealing with real people there.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Hasn't happened to me, I check shipping prices. I just hate wasting time looking at ads for "deals" only to find outragous shipping charges that kill it. At IE I don't have to waste time with that.
If I want something new and expensive (like an amp), I'll most likely buy it new locally. That way, I have easy warranty support, I know the staff, etc...

If I want something used, then it's most likely going to be ebay. When I buy stuff on ebay, I know what it's worth, and what I'm willing to pay. I end up getting some fantastic deals. Sometimes, I even find myself reselling the item on ebay for more than I paid for it.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by ofdwolf
Hasn't happened to me, I check shipping prices. I just hate wasting time looking at ads for "deals" only to find outragous shipping charges that kill it. At IE I don't have to waste time with that.

Well, that's a common technique some sellers use to get you to buy their item over someone else's. They will sell you an item, sometimes at less than their own cost, and then make up for it with shipping fees. And it looks great on their books at tax time too, because they can report these items as 'losses' if they didn't turn a profit on them.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I got five of my guitars from ebay:

All my Phigas. Great prices for handmade guitars. They're really nice.

One of my Gibson 1974 L5S's. Awesome guitar and in great shape. I think it was a
steal at $2999. They usually go for a lot more and rising. I later discovered it
was owned by a well-known Chicago Jazz player.

Alembic Little Darling. A good price on it. It was in pristine shape. Amazing guitar.

So, I've done pretty well off of ebay. But, I agree you have to know what to look for.

I got one guitar from MF -- An Ibanez TM-71. At $200 I just wanted something
cheap and playable. It exceeded expectations.

So, it really all depends what you're looking for. It's always better to try first. I
almost ordered a JEM from MF, but decided to try one at GC first. Glad I avoided
that purchase.
craigslist sounds like a pretty good place, are there a lot of people that post items on it?
Quote by Amped
craigslist sounds like a pretty good place, are there a lot of people that post items on it?

It depends if you live near a big city. For me, their are tons of new listings of stuff that I want that come up every day, but then again I live near Chicago.
For cryin' out loud, before you look at either, go toSam Ash I found a $1200 amp on there for $600. Beat that!
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
I have carpal tunnel, caused by profuse masturbation.
gawd, that's gonna get sigged...

Jesus for president, king, emperor, vice president, chairman, prime minister...ect. PM Cashewchaching to join the campaign. or just sig it.
I love craigslist! and music shop>musiciansfriend>ebay because I don't like the fact that if you recieve crap from ebay its your loss.
I got my first guitar over ebay and I love it...

But with ebay, you can never be to sure what your going to get. If the picture is good, who is to say that the neck isnt warp? or they didnt get a close enough picture to see that scratch.

But if thats what you want then go for it
if its like a big expensive thing, id say musicians friend that way you have warrenties and garantess
if its something small like a pedal, ebay i guess
i bought my mt-2 off of ebay and it was fine
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
But with ebay, you can never be to sure what your going to get. If the picture is good, who is to say that the neck isnt warp? or they didnt get a close enough picture to see that scratch.

If you suspect that the seller is trying to conceal something from you, don't buy it. If it feels like the seller isn't entirely honest about the condition of the instrument, don't buy it. If the seller says "I don't know anything about guitars", I wouldn't buy it from them either.

Ask for detailed pictures, serial numbers, make sure that the seller knows what they're talking about. A person who's passionate about their gear is probably not going to sell you a warped neck instrument without mentioning it. Of course all of this goes for used gear. I personally wouldn't buy any new guitar through eBay, unless it's an established retailer (like Rondomusic's storefront).

I generally don't understand the attitude that eBay is a good place to buy new gear for prices lower than over-the-counter. With very rare exceptions, it simply makes no sense to sell a new packed item for a lower price than it costs to buy it. There usually is a catch. Any instrument that is new and available from a store best be bought from a store simply for your own security. eBay's only great for stuff that you can't find in stores, but the unique opportunities come bundled up with risks.