I've been playing for about a year and a half, since last christmas, with an Aria STG (which is a korean strat knockoff) and I've decided I need something new. I was in the store the other day and they had a mexican strat for $325 canadian, and I went back to buy it today and it was gone.
I play alot of different types of music, lots of classic rock (AC/DC, Tragically Hip), Metal (metallica, black sabbath, iron maiden) and also whatever acoustic stuff I can find (sublime, oasis)
Price range is anywhere from 200 - 400 Canadian ($175-350USD) cause I'm on a budget and I'm selling the guitar I have for about 100 bucks. I played an Ibanez GRG170DX in the store and it felt quite nice, but I've been told by friends that the pickups and also the bridge leave something to be desired. any input would be appreciated. I'd really like a brand new american strat but I just can't afford it right now, so any guitars in the price range that you think would fit the bill, please let me know
whew, sorry for long post
Epiphone G-400 at a U.S. guitar store usually runs about 300 usd.

The Jackson JS line is usually 300 usd or under.

and then all the squier and low end fender models as well.

i would suggest looking at the used section of your local guitarstore or even a pawn shop.
How does a USA fender strat compare to a mexican or a japanese?