Well, i was at Guitar Center just yesterday, and i tried out different acoustic guitars. I really liked both the Yamaha FG730, and the Takamine GS330s. The Takamine had no laquer finish with a solid cedar top, but the Yamaha had a glazed laquer finish. The Takamine sounded orgasmic, the Yamaha was amazing, but the Takamine sounded much more unique. But my problem is whether I should buy a guitar with no laquer finish (scratches easier, etc...) But also i hear that no laquer means the wood will breather easier meaning more resonance. HELP!! lol

Oh, i really wanna buy an acoustic, but i was really interested in cutaways also, does anyone recommend a good cutaway under $300, so that if i try it and it turns out better than either the Yamaha or Takamine i might buy it, and take advantage of it being acoustic/electric, or does it make a slight difference??
Last edited by pinholes89 at Jul 26, 2006,
That no laquer is most probably an illusion brought up by a subtle, silken satin finish that doesn't cover the wood with a hard, glassy layer as more traditional laquers do. You can be confident that the wood is adequately protected.
And for the second part of your question; in that price range you'll be hard pressed to find a guitar better than the Takemine.
hmmm, so should i cancel out any thoughts or ambitions of buying a cutaway acoustic-electric better than the Takamine GS300s Acoustic guitar within the same price range??
ok well that takamine does have a finish, it's a satin finish. the top is made of cedar though as opposed to spruce like the yamaha. cedar is a much softer wood and does scratch, ding, and dent quite a bit easier than spruce. i agree with you about one thing though, the takamine gs330s has by far the best tone in any guitar under $300 that i've ever played. what you mentioned about lighter finishes allowing the soundboard of a guitar to vibrate more freely is true. that yamaha is also a great guitar for the price, though. it all depends on which one you like the feel and sound of better. for me, it's the takamine all the way. i have had that same model takamine for several years now and although mine has dings and scratches galore along with three cracks in the soundboard... that guitar still sounds really really great. i should also mention that all of the scratches and cracks and such are my own fault, it has nothing to do with the quality of the guitar.

getting an acoustic-electric in the same price range is going to mean one thing: lots of compromised sound quality. there may be acoustic-electric guitars out there for under 300 that sound as good as the two regular acoustic guitars that you mentioned... but i haven't found one yet. i haven't found one that sounded even remotely as good actually.