I just bought the Maxon Overdrive 9 pedal, and it sucks. It actually makes my 'clean amp sound' sound better than when it overdrives (or whatever the hell it does). Is there a reason for this? If not, I'm just going to return it.

What other pedals do you recommend? i was told this was a good distortion pedal, and that was a lie. I'm into metallica, children of bodom, etc.
what amp do you have, and how are you using the OD9? Are you trying to add OD to a clean channel, trying to add OD to a gain channel that's lacking, or just trying to tighten your high gain sound?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
it has to be used with your amp's distortion to tighten the sound up. It works really well.. but if your amp sucks.. then it's still gonna suck
Actually I uses a overdrive-ish pedel (Arion Tubulator ) through the clean channel on my crappy Crate and it sounds pretty good. Not enough gain for metal but dimed it's definatly enought for classic rock.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
OK the OD-9 is not a Distortion pedal it is a Overdrive pedal if you have a SS amp then it is of course gonna sound like crap because there are no tubes to overdrive. You need a tube amp to use a OD pedal you need a distortion pedal. OK the Maxon OD-9 IMO is one of the Best OD pedals On the market. What kind of amp do you have then we can help you
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I was told maxon by a number of different people because it was supposed to be the best. I even told my amp: Peavey rage 158.

But there's a first time for everything. i guess I realize now that overdrive pedals "overdrive" the sound. I didn't really know what the term overdrive meant as far as guitar terms.

However, it does give a clear sound when I get a good clean setting. As far as an overall sound, I've tried everything as far as combinations go with my amp.

Bottom line: I want to have a good overall sound. My guitar is also a peavey, and I"m not sure if that's good or bad. I play as a hobbyist, but can't stand how it doesn't sound at all like the bands I listen to.

Without spending a ton of money, what do you recommend I do?
I have an OD-9 and like the way it sounds but then again I know how to use my gear.
Look at the Maxon SD-9 Distortion pedal if you just want straight front-end gain
Rage 158 = SS pretty much. Thus an overdrive likely won't sound good on it at all. Trans-Tube apparently.
What about the boss gt series? How well do the gt5 gt6 and gt8 compare?

If I'm going to get something like that, I'd like to spend under $130 if possible.
ya a Maxon SD-9 seems just what your looking for
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Phuknee
Rage 158 = SS pretty much. Thus an overdrive likely won't sound good on it at all. Trans-Tube apparently.

It is completely solid state.
Trans-Tube is just a marketing term for emulating tubes, its all SS.
Why don't you just buy a Digitech DF-7.. run your amp on clean and then you've got 7 different types of distortions?

Plus they're about £75 ($100).. so it's probably cheaper than the maxon anyway!