Page 1 of 2
This is very long, and the actual useful bits are a bit disjointed, but I do my best

Well, as my friends all buggered off to the Arctic, or somewhere similarly remote (Plymouth is a good example), I had to go to town on my own today. So I decided, by my amazing powers of deduction, that I'd go down to the guitar shop.
After the exhausting walk down 3 whole streets, I arrived to find a woman standing in my way. Justice was duly dispensed by way of a Vintage SG copy and I was soon on my way to the acoustic room.
OR WAS I?
There was a middle-aged gentleman tootling around on various acoustics in there, and I suspected the fat bass guy who works in the shop would soon be joining him. So, with a hop, skip and a jump, I rolled down the stairs to the Electric room.
Disaster struck.
The lights were all off! But using my incredibly quick thinking and a packet of Chewits, I flicked the switch and I was soon bathed in holy light.
Looking around the room for suitable specimens for testing, I spied a blue...

Ibanez S470.
Note: It gets serious for a bit here, feel free to skip it.

Well, as it was only 10:30 and the shop ad just opened, I decided to play it unplugged. The first thing I noticed was how thing the body was - it just about equates to Keira Knightley in it's figure. It does make playing it extremely comfortable though, which is always good. I then moved on to checking the construction - it's very solidly built, nothing loose at all. I then decided to stop fannying around and play the thing. I was expecting great things from the Wizard II neck, and I was a bit disappointed. Sure, it was pretty nice, but not as nice as some people make out. THis was partly due to the fact that the fretboard looked as though it had never been cleaned and the usual horrible strings. But it was a nice guitar nonetheless. Now I decided to have some fun with that ZR trem - I loved it. Palm muting and the suchlike didn't seem to affect the pitch at all, and I divebombed and squealed till the arm nearly fell off and it stayed in tune throughout. The neck joint was nice aswell - It offered very good upper fret access. Overall, due to the fact that I didn't get to play it through an amp to assess it's sound properly, I'd give it a 7/10. (I'd score it higher, but without hearing the amplified sound I can't fully make my mind up)

Now, what's that I spy in the corner? Oh yes, a PRS SE Soapbar II. That'll do nicely. I started to scout around to find a decent amp to play it through. Oh look, there's a Peavey Valveking. A bit too big for this setting, though. After eliminating the AVTs, JCMs and Spiders, I was almost resigned to using the trusty Cube 60 again. But wait! There's a nice looking fender... is it a frontman? No. It's a Blues Jr. Excellent.

SE Soapbar

I liked this one a lot. The neck feels quite similar to my SZ, and was very comfortable. It was easy to play anything on it, barre chords, solos, the lot. It also looked pretty damn sexy, which is always a bonus. Now, to plug it in. The P90s gave out quite a nice tone - a nice bit of grunt, great for crunch tones. I had a bit of trouble pushing the Blues Jr into breakup with them, but once I'd EQed it a bit I got a very nice sound. I'd give this an 8

(I'll go for the Blues Jr last, as it's performance varied with different guitars).

I then thought it was time to try something special - I'd just spied an American Strat - In white of course - hanging up.

MIA Strat

OMG. I loved this one. Combined with the blues Jr I got some fantastic tones from it. Nice sharp lead sounds from the bridge, and a good bit of cream in the neck. The neck was fantastic, really easy to play, and I loved the maple fretboard. The fret access was surprisingly good, it was pretty easy to get up higher on the fretboard, which is quite hard on my strat copy (don't know why...). Clean sounds were quite nice on this, but I think the best sounds were with the amp just breaking up a bit with the neck pickup.

Now, at this point, two pikeys walked in. Fabulous. One of them plugged into the Valveking, and turned it up almost full, and started rattling off some of the usual monotonous beginner crap. Well, I just sat there carrying on with the strat, and having the occasional chuckle when they asked each other "HOW DO YOO GET IT TOO GO ON DISTORSHUN?".

He finally settled into a decent chord pattern, and I thought "Hmmm.". So I started improvising a bit of blues over it. He was just sat completely still, but continuing playing. I think he expected me to try and drown him out, not jam with him. Aaaah, I love kids like that.

So, back to the strat. Well, I fell in love with it basically. Got to get one of them when I have the money. 9/10

After that, I decided to try a G&L Tribute Legacy. I was expecting this to be great, but I was really disappointed to be honest. The fretboard was pretty much unplayable, it got really sticky really fast, and the sound was nothing to write home about. Due mainly to the neck, I only played this one for a few minutes. Maybe if it had been in better condition, I'd score it higher. But based on the one I played today, I'm giving it a 6/10.

Well, now I decided to go for something a bit different. I turned off the Blues Jr, and moved on to a Cube (Sounds a bit mad, but wait). I'd been wanting to try one of these for ages - An LTD EC-400 in a nice cherry red.

I'd rather have tried this through a decent tube amp, but the Valveking kids were hogging all the space by the Marshalls and there were no ODs to plug into the lower gain tube amps. So, Cube it was.

LTD EC-400

Now, I wasn't expecting to like this one much. I don't really like the size of Les Paul necks, and their frankly horrible higher fret access. But this LTD was different. The neck was really fast, I actually preferred it to the Wizard on the S470, and I found playing anything on it really easy. The upper fret access was far, far better than on any other LP-style guitar i've ever played, I couldn't quite get to the 23rd/24th frets, but I don't need to use them so that hardly mattered.
I wasn't expecting great things from the EMGs, but I was looking forward to trying them anyway. I was pleasantly surprised by the 81 (distorted). It got a really nice lead tone, although it was a bit too trebly for playing rhythm with. i suppose I should have fiddled with the tone control for that, but I didn't think to. Anyway, I really enjoyed playing like this. I then moved on to the 85 in the neck - I didn't really like it at all. It sounded too bassy and a bit muffled to me. I then decided to try out the cleans - not expecting much. True to my expectations, the 81 was pure crap. Just really lifeless and sterile. THe 85 was much better, I actually got quite a nice tone from it clean. Although it's still not that good, it's far more usable than the 81 clean. Overall, I'd give this guitar a 9 and the EMGs a 7. (Bearing in mind this was through a solid state amp, I'd probably be more convinced if I was playing through, say, a Mesa.)

While I was playing the EC, the retarded kid started playing knocking on heaven's door. Gawd. So the aforementioned fat bass dude (Who, thinking about it, is a dead ringer for the fat one from Bowling For Soup) comes down, looks accusingly at me and says "Were you just playing knocking on heaven's door?".

I look down at the EMG equipped guitar in my hand, then at the cube set on the R-fier model, and then over at Valveking boy with a strat.

Anyway, he got a nasty look and a good laugh from fat bass dude, and they both buggered off.

But not before I had to teach them the chords to Dani California.

XD

Anyway, after they'd buggered off, I went back to the trusty Blues Jr and picked up a nice-looking Tanglewood semi-hollow. The first thing I noticed was that the pickup switch made a noise like a slinky being thrown out of a window when you changed settings. Hmmm....
Anyway, plugged in, it sounded quite nice. Good cleans from the neck, and a nice crunchy sound from the bridge. Not very distinctive tones, a bit bland, but they were good all the same. It played quite nicely, I was expecting a big neck but it was surprisingly thin - the one problem with it was that the strings felt a bit too close together for my liking (Hmmm, am I inheriting Dave's nut width elitism?). It was a nice guitar overall, but a bit forgettable. 7/10

The last guitar I played was a Godin LG with P-90s. Now I've heard a bit about these lately on UG, so I was expecting it to be pretty good. I didn't play it for long because it was getting really hot down there, and I kept thinking back to the strat and LTD The P-90s, like the soapbar, had some difficulty in pushing the amp, but I got some nice tones all the same. The playability felt a bit run-of-the-mill, seen it all before king of thing to me. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but not really anything to write home about. Although if I'd have spent more time with it, I'd probably like it more. 6/10 (due to the lack of time spent with it)

So, if I were to rank the guitars from best to worst (well, not "worst", they were all good, some were just a bit... meh), it'd go like this:

American Strat
LTD EC-400
PRS SE Soapbar II
Ibanez S470
Tanglewood Semi-Acoustic
Godin LG
G&L Legacy

To be continued next post
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Part II:

Now, onto the amps.

Like the last time I played it, I was disappointed with the Cube 60. After seeing posts on UG about it being really good for Metal playing, I was expecting great things. And both times I've tried it, the distortion has been fizzy, too trebly and not really that great. This problem is especially present with higher gain levels. "Turn the gain down!", I hear you cry. Well, I did. And all the "oomph" just disappears from the sound, even at about 6/10. Not good. The Metal and R-fier models are what I'm talking about. They're not as bad as a Spider or an MG, but they're not as good as I'd expect. The other distortion models are just blah. Nothing to write home about, a bit bland.

The clean sound is usable, quite nice, but again, a bit flat. Not really outstanding, just kind of... there. Not much to say about it really.

Now, the effects. The chorus was quite nice, but it wasn't very subtle and tweaking it didn't make much difference, but it's still the nicest effect. Flanger I didn't spend much time with, but I thought it dominated the sound a bit too much, so your guitar couldn't be heard that well over it. The phaser was disappointing, not much room for tweaking. And the delay wasn't very versatile either, you can't get very long delay times with it. I acknowledge that these are just built-in effects, but they're still not as good as I'd hoped for.

Fender Blues Jr

I really liked this amp. It has a nice clean sound, It stays pretty clean as you go higher up with the levels, but I noticed that some guitars will push it in to breaking up earlier. When it does start breaking up, with the right guitar (Going by today's evidence, a strat or a guitar with p90s) it sounds amazing. Really nice, tight crunchy sound that doesn't get out of control. With the mids up, it sounds really nice. I really liked it. I wish I could've put an OD pedal in front of it, but there weren't any I could use (Well, there were, but they were on the other side of the room and connected to about 8 other pedals.). I'm definitely going to try this more next time I go. 9/10

Well, that concludes my not-so-wonderful and extremely long winded slightly spammy thread.

My Music
Informative but kindof pointlless. Should've made it into reviews.
how long did this take to write? i congratulate you on that.

overall i'd give this an 8 coz you shoud be more thorough with some stuff.

Edit: Wooo another TG reader!
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
wow a thread that is actually enjoyable to read. So much better than one of those "I play xxxx and I want to get xxxx tone plz help!!!111." Thank for writing this up, I think I'll check out that fender blues jr.
Try to get this stickied, cause it would be nice to have a thread in which anybody could post about their visit to the guitar shop.
Quote by cokeisbetter
Try to get this stickied, cause it would be nice to have a thread in which anybody could post about their visit to the guitar shop.

Nah, it won't get stickied, but if we compiled all the various threads like this that have come up (joel & dave spring to mind) then we could get a kind of reviews thing going.

My Music
Well you know what to buy then! USA Strat+Blues Jr.

I absolutely love my Blues Jr, amazing cleans, sounds really fat and orgasmic when just breaking up on the neck pickup, ooo yea.

And it loves overdrive pedals, and fuzz, anything really.

Well, here goes my visit to the guitar shop today...

I walked in Johnny Roadhouse, past the squeeky high-pitched voiced old woman before our hearing was lost, straight to the guitars.

I saw an black Epi Riviera next to some Sheratons, so I tried it through a Blues Jr, it was ok, nothing special at all, and it was used, and the bridge pickup was shockingly loose and fell inwards whenever turned the wrong way.... moved away from that...

Next was a 60's MIM Classic (white w/ rosewood neck) It was alright, neck pickup was nice sounding, bridge was waaaaaaay too sharp and trebly.

Another 60's MIM Classic (I thought t'was a Jap strat at first...), but sunburst with gorgeous finish, t'was the same, but it looked a lot nicer

Finally, just to be curious (and the guy there said pick anything you want to play) I picked up a used Rickenbacker 330.
Oh your God, it was gorgeous sounding, so full and well rounded sounding, amazing cleans, it just shined.

I didn't buy anything though...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^ Nobody ever buys anything

I've noticed that. If someone tries out a crapload of guitars, they don't buy one. But if they are going to buy something, they'll just try one or two and be gone within 20 minutes

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix

I've noticed that. If someone tries out a crapload of guitars, they don't buy one. But if they are going to buy something, they'll just try one or two and be gone within 20 minutes

Last time I went I got this...

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Quote by timi_hendrix

I was thinking of an impulse buy... but nothing really jumped out at me except that Rick at £800 and a homeless man from an alley.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Cover that up Cmogi! You may get banned for p*rn!!

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

I like spam, and for those who say it's useless, I don't like you.

I did spam like this once upon a time ago. If I can get your permission, maybe I could post it in joint with this one? I reviewed a PRS also. I played through a HotRod too so yeah.
awesome. especially the bit about the nut width and creaming over the neck pickup.

I tried a g&l and, apart from nut width problems ( ) I preferred it to a fender. But then again, fender's quality control, while not terrible, isn't amazing- some strats are meh, and some are nice...

I've given up on spam threads. I have about one-fifth of one written on my hard drive (i;ve tried about 200 things recently) and i'm already up to 13 pages.

i'm going to have to start a serial or something...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I can't play in my local shop because the guys that work there are a bunch of muppets that just stare at me for long periods of time, thus making me uncomfortable and it's tiny, so they get pissed when they're trying to manouevre around me to sell some crap strat/tele hybrid squire.

Thankfully i'm going into London again soon so i shall report back if this is still going methinks.
Quote by timi_hendrix

When I go to the Guitar Center in hollywood, I play 5+ basses in the bass room, 1-3 electric guitars (High end, EBMM John Petrucci, JEM, the like), maybe 1 acoustic, and as many of the vintage basses (or guitars, but they're less strict it seems about basses for whatever reason) I feel like. Last time the clear winner in the vintage room was the 1958 Fender Precision. Mmmmmmmmm
haha
Im going to hamburg, germany next year, and it'll be my first sojourn to a big city with a big music shop *drools*
dammit thats alot of useless info....
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
dammit thats alot of useless info....

Damn that's a useless post...

And the info might be useful to someone, just because it didn't penetrate your thick skull
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Quote by Cmogi10
Damn that's a useless post...

And the info might be useful to someone, just because it didn't penetrate your thick skull

Joel, you did the same thing. Just not quite as much stuff O_o

My Music
A spam thread on EG requires my permission dammit! I am the lord of spam!
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Request #2 to post spam, Master? Please?

I happily traveled to my local Guitar Center (referred to as "GC" further) with a drummer friend of mine, with the reverse name of Anthrax's guitarist. (Yes, that would happen to be Ian Scott)

So I was there for 2 hours. Much more time playing than usual but I wasn't as interested because I was looking for straps, cables, and strings.

The first guitar I pick up is a beauty, well needless to say, a replica of my Artcore. Sounds just the same as mine unplugged, as expected.

Second guitar I pick up, a black-ridden Epiphone G-400 SG for $400. Which is rediculous, because they were having a sale AND that the G-400 has been marked down to $300 at most places. So I pick it up, play it for a bit, and I notice the thickness of the neck. Not quite pleasing. I could barely hear myself over the Mesa Boogie stacks, playing a fine selection of multiple Metallica songs and the occasional Blink-182. This was unsurprising. Not much else to say about that.

Next was a Gibson Flying V, once again, in Black. It was the "true" one, not that Faded special crap. I decided to own a n00b in "The Man Who Sold the World" which was also being played over the speakers. He didn't know the solo, which I knew. That was a good, easy own. Uncomfortable seating, of course being a V and all. Played this one through a Vox AD100VT. Played some Avenged, Cure, and taught my drummer friend to play "Steady, As She Goes" by The Raconteurs. Needless to say, it sounded great, only problem being a sunken pole piece in the bridge, which let up quite a bit of volume. A nice play for the price, but not for me.

PRS SE. Quite the guitar. Smooth as butter, nicely painted, even neck. I think I let go a bit of manliness once I sat down with it. Yes, that's right. Manliness. Definately a steal for $500 compared to the V which was twice as much. Played a couple chords, an original. Felt great for the cash.

Alpine White with Gold Hardware Epi Custom Paul. Not too shabby, but it didn't feel anywhere close to the PRS. Only played this for less than a minute. Got bored quick.

Some green quilt top Washburn with trem. Didn't play on this one much, mainly because it was only $200 but I didn't like it much at all. Pretty slow neck as if my hand was melting over it as I went.

Jackson with EMGHz pickups. Overall, looks nice, played nice, but it had GODDAMN JUMBO FRETS! I started singing about how horridly horrible the frets were. I can't stand them. Felt like I was ripping skin after a bit. Didn't get to try the trem, but it looked solid at least. Jackson design trem.

It was time for another guitar, after bearing the evilness of my drummer friend trying to pick out a cymbal, so I played an Epi Sheraton, natural with a tortoise pickguard. Pleasing to the eye and better sounding. Smooth action, nice neck, etc. etc. Only problems were it's weight and the knobs were placed incorrectly, wherein it read "7" when the guitar was playing at "10". Comparable to my $270 Artcore, but not quite good enough, IMO, to be a $600 guitar.

Finally, I played a $750 natural, flame maple Artcore. I was much impressed by the frets, the overall feel, and unplugged sound. Much improved over my Artcore, especially with the wooden knobs. Very high-end appointments for half the price.

For amps I tried a non-commentable AD100VT, for I only used it for the ownage. I also used a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 60 tube watts. I tried this one out for an MXR Phase 90 I wanted, but I decided my EHX Small Clone can make the same sounds, so I held back buying it. Sounded much nicer than my AD15VT, but not worth it for me due to the size. Probably had more potential as it was at about 1.5 volume.

I ended up buying 2 straps (both kickass Levy's for $12 and $11 bucks ) and 4 sets of strings, 2 GHS 10s and 2 Martin SP 12s.

Thanks for looking at my nice, long spam post!
Permissions for spam accepted, however I suggest you remove your skin.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
how did that valveking sound>? was it the 112 or 212?
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Ok, here is my moronic post of the day

I have always wanted to go on a trip outside of the US, and visit guitar stores in another country. I have done the cruise thing but nothing just visiting another city, so no chance to visit any guitar stores. I know they will be the same, but I still wish to be surprised and have my trip made by an incredicly tight european guitar store that is nothing like the stores at home.

Ok, now that i have that out of me... no, my visit to the local GC will just come later.
Quote by giorgio1210
how did that valveking sound>? was it the 112 or 212?

It was the 212, it sounded alright, pretty nice clean. The trolls didn't know how to push it into breaking up so I couldn't assess that sound properly, but I'll try and have a better listen to it next time I go if you want.

My Music
ok cool, that would be great cause im thinking of buying the 212 and switching the speaker for vintage 30's cause everyone says the speaker in it sucks
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
nice reviews.. makes me wanna check out that ESP/LTD
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by timi_hendrix

Joel, you did the same thing. Just not quite as much stuff O_o

i know....all my music stores suck....
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
nice spam, super analytical. But jumbo frets are awesome.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wish I could play a bunch of nice gear in my guitar center, but they lack Ibanez's, and the only good amps they have are fenders. So I just jam with an Eric Johnson Stratocaster. It sings.
Quote by mikeman
I wish I could play a bunch of nice gear in my guitar center, but they lack Ibanez's, and the only good amps they have are fenders. So I just jam with an Eric Johnson Stratocaster. It sings.

EJ Strat>Anything Ibanez
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Yes, but the Ibani I seek are so elusive...

EJ strat -> Deville = Buttery orgasmicly clean tones.
^ *laughs at how much it costs in the states since for once it's something we get cheaper*

any good?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you played it through a suitcase? oops sorry my mistake
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
Page 1 of 2