im thinking about getting a set for my lp. just wondering if there is a way to get them without the covers. or if you can take them off.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
sorry for bumping this, but no one has replied and the thread is on the 2nd page now
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
sorry for bumping this, but no one has replied and the thread is on the 2nd page now

I don't like Seymour Duncans personally. I called them and talked to them once and had a very long technical conversation with one of their tech guys and wasn't impressed. He didn't seem to know that an electric guitar is a very low output AC generator and he also thought that dc resistance is the best indicator of ac output (as opposed to ac voltage).

I called DiMarzio and those guys were on the ball. They have all of the specs for their pickups in dc resistance and ac output. They measure the ac voltage of all of their pickups and their competitors pickups too. In fact, they know more about Seymour Duncan pickup electrical properties than the Seymour Duncan people do.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with tone. Seth Lover himself didn't know jack about electrical theory, that's why he mistakenly described his pickups as being wired "in-series, in-phase" when in fact, they are "in series, out-of-phase".

Personally, I can't buy Seymour Duncans now, after talking to them, but then again, I am an electrical technician by trade, so I am a bit more picky about that stuff than the rest of you might be.

In fact, I have a SD Custom Trembucker that I will be selling soon, as soon as I can find a Lace Sensor Gold/Gold Dually for my Guild solidybody. Let me know if you are interested.
Any guitar tech can remove the covers off these humbuckers.

Should be pretty inexpensive also, all you have to do is have a soldering iron and vacuum to remove the solder.

The only thing changes that MIGHT happen are...
1. the pickups will be just ever so slightly brighter and stronger without the covers...
2. IF your guitar tech is unskilled with removing solder then he might melt some of the wax that the pickup is potted with... no problem he should be able to repot the pickup if he couldn't remove the cover properly. BTW repotting the pickup won't change the sound just remove microphonics.

I personally have not tried the Seth Lovers so I can't tell you how they sound or respond, the only thing I will tell everyone to keep in mind is companies make good products and bad products just as they employ good and bad employees. I like some Seymours, some dimarzios, Fralins, and Lollars. There are lots of good pickups, lots of bad pickups in all different companies for all different prices.

Good Luck with your sound.
My Favorite Rig Of The Moment

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior
Oh and just one more thing to throw in here. I have to say that McDuffie still makes another point in that even a lot of guitarists, guitar makers, and amp makers, don't always know what's going on. And that's okay as long as you do

Cheers
My Favorite Rig Of The Moment

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior