ok, so ive had my alvarez acoustic for about 8 months, and when i purchesed it the action was extremely low....and now the action has just gotten way 2 high...and i think that the neck is starting to warp alittle, and needs to be ajusted...but i purchesed my guitar in cleveland, and i live about 3 hrs away.....so what would u suggest...waiting till the next time i go back there, which could be who knows how long, cause i have family over there...or just doing it myself...and if so, how would i go about doing that? Any imput would be greatly appretiated! thanx
never adjust the truss rod yourself, because you would probably hurt your guitar more than you help it^^
Plenty of good reasons to go to Cleveland, but this is not one of them, for adjusting a truss rod is easily within reach of an experienced home- and garden mechanic.
First measure. Have the strings tuned to pitch and lay the guitar on its back on the table. Now go down on your knees so that your line of vision is level with the tops of the frets, press the fat E down on the first and fourteenth fret and look underneath the string. A gap of about one millimeter between the string and the seventh fret should clearly be visible. If this gap is bigger (not bothering about a tenth of a millimeter or two; I mean really much bigger) than your truss rod is on the loosing side of the battle and needs to be tightened.
Release the strings and get access to the truss rod. You may find it behind a little panel on the neck or else you'll find it right round the corner in the soundhole in the direction of the neck. In most cases you will need a 5mm allen wrench to twist it (As you are an experienced home mechanic I don't have to tell you that you always should use first rate tools) Turn the rod towards tight one quarter of a turn, not more. It may make some clacking and sqeecking noises but that's natural. Tune up the strings and see what it has done. Repeat this procedure once or twice if you are not satisfied. If there is no result after four quarter turns, take it to Cleveland.
If the curvature of the neck showed to be alright by the first check, the problem lies elsewhere.
when the truss rod cracks the neck can it crack inside and be not visable and not even no it is inside
^well stiker im going to take a guess on ur post, because i dont understand it.

but if want to know if a cracking noise might mean that there is now some hidden damage, the answer is, maybe.

usually, tho when u break the rod, ull know it because the nut in the headstock will stick out of and move freely in the headstock.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Well, this may be a bit of a tricky one. Cracking and sqeecking noises usually occur because the area around the parts that turn when you twist the rod are conteminated with dried out glue residues and/or touch the surrounding wood, or simply because the thread is unsufficiently lubricated. You should not worry about this too much.
But.... handling nuts and bolts requires experience. Some noises just ain't right, and the experienced mechanic can tell the bad noises from the harmless ones. You get this ability by discovering first hand all the different ways there are to round out bold heads and strip screw threads. The truss rod of an expensive guitar may not be the most suitable object to gain such experience.
On the other hand. There is not much risk to break or crack the neck or something. That's just a myth like exploding strings that cut through throaths or rip out eyes. It just won't happen. It doesn't need to. Ripping out the hexagon hole will be bad enough already.