im gona get a lota **** for asking this but...

How much of a difference is there between Epiphone and Gibson Les Pauls?
I mean for someone who has a very low income, is it a good idea?
Quote by Dr. Patrick Hardy, president of Nu Pi Sigma chapter and principal at Ellis Arts Academy
“The purpose is to show that African-American men can do more than shoot people, rap and play basketball”

Start Your Day The John Mayer Way With Frosted Mayer Wheats
epiphones are very good guitars for the money ... gibson has like a ten percent advantage over it but thats it
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Epi's are solid guitars for the money, but if you can get your hands on a cheap, good quality Gibson, then go for it. If you're gonna buy a Gibson, just try out every Gibson you can get your hands on.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
I'd say there are some epiphones that sound so much like crap that they aren't worth 50 bucks even. But my epiphone LP custom is pretty good for the price paid. So i guess what im saying, is that if you spend time to look after that nice sounding epiphone, you'll find it. For me, upgrading to a gibson would be pointless, unless it sounded absolutely heavenly
Well Gibsons are much more expensive because they are made in America and it's a well known name brand.

Epiphones are cheaper because they are made outside of America but play and last as long as a Gibson.

I bought an epiphone because I couldn't afford the actual Les Paul, and later I got a Les Paul as a gift and honestly they both are great they've lasted me 2 years and counting, they play the same, just the Gibson is made of more expensive body work and parts and they look nicer. But I think people are wasting $1,000's of dollars when they could just by an epiphone, and guess what Gibson owns Epiphone.
the right epi is worth the money. its not right to compare a $400 and a $1400 guitar tho.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Wood
Pickups
Electronics
Contruction
Finish

~Not neccesarily different, but higher quality.

Also you pay to pay the high salary demanding American workers...
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

ive got a 2004 gibson sg standard, and like a 2003 or 2002 (fairly new) epiphone sg standard

they both kick ass.. the gibson has things i dont like baout it, so does the epi... it really is a hard tossup.. but in retrospect, they are different feeling and sounding guitars... and the gibson is heavier if i remember correctly lol
LYRICS. WASTED TIME BETWEEN SOLOS

l
I'm a gibson man myself. Better craftsmanship and parts, and overall looks.
see i find my epiphone to be way more of a working guitar.. its more realiable, feels sturdier.. i dunno im awlays scared that my sg is just gonna break in half haha but my epi i have no problem bangin it around.. oh and the tuning heads on the epiphone OWN the gibson ones.. GIBSON TUNERS SUCK!!!!!! wow... the epi has like schallers or sumthing
LYRICS. WASTED TIME BETWEEN SOLOS

l
Compared to Gibson, Standard Epi LP's don't have good stock pickups, and the finish is sometimes better on Gibsons thans Epi's.
What about buying a used Gibson for a little chepper insted of a new epi?
Quote by Dr. Patrick Hardy, president of Nu Pi Sigma chapter and principal at Ellis Arts Academy
“The purpose is to show that African-American men can do more than shoot people, rap and play basketball”

Start Your Day The John Mayer Way With Frosted Mayer Wheats
Quote by Cmogi10
Wood
Pickups
Electronics
Contruction
Finish

~Not neccesarily different, but higher quality.

Also you pay to pay the high salary demanding American workers...

Exactly, though most of the high salary demanding Americans mostly demand out of nessicity rather than greed. Life isnt cheap, but other than that, hit the nail right on the head.
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Quote by SWENCE_32
What about buying a used Gibson for a little chepper insted of a new epi?

Ebay is your friend in those regards

Edit: Srry bout the double post
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Quote by jj1565
the right epi is worth the money. its not right to compare a $400 and a $1400 guitar tho.

i did a $3000 and a $350 dollar guitar. (SG supreme and my X50) and the guy with the SG got upset because my guitar was doing what he wanted the SG to do, and the X50 was more versatile. he made up funny excuses.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by CustomCustom
epis are for people who dont make money with thier guitar

im sure there are working musicians that use epiphones, ive heard of some famous musicians that use squiers and mexican strats over americans. Dont gerneralize you can manage a sweet set up on pretty much any guitar if you put the work in it.
I know a kid who modded his squier and it sounds awsome for what he does with it.
Whatever you do, don't settle for the Epiphone LP Special II. It's the LP equivilent to Squier.
Epi's can be great guitars. I've liked all of the ones I've tried except for the LP-100, which just feels like a real beginner guitar. I highly recommend any decent Epi over a low-end Gibson.

I suggest you try a bunch of them out and pick the one that sounds and feels best.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by jj1565

it is if the $1400 guitar is actually only worth $600
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
Quote by n0e
it is if the $1400 guitar is actually only worth $600

LAf, well i upped it to 1,400 to weed out the lowest end gibs.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The basic, Standard Les Paul Epiphones, are made of an Alder/Mahogany plywood. Though dont let that turn you off, trust me. You can easily find one with the same resonance in it as a Gibson, and they will sound just as good, just a little different.
^The thing with Epi though, is that they use whatever they have at the time. There have been quite a few cases of all mahogany Epi LP Standards and LP Customs, but there have also been all alder ones as well. For the most part they're the mahogany/alder body, but you can occasionally find a great all mahogany one.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
^The thing with Epi though, is that they use whatever they have at the time. There have been quite a few cases of all mahogany Epi LP Standards and LP Customs, but there have also been all alder ones as well. For the most part they're the mahogany/alder body, but you can occasionally find a great all mahogany one.

Exactly. It's a mixed bag. Same with Squier. Occasionally you can find an Alder one with wood that surpasses the Mexicans, for quite a bit cheeper (even including replacing the hardware)
^Yeah. It just takes a good play and a look under the plate on the back and you know exactly what you've got. Sometimes, it can be one hell of a guitar.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar