Hi guys, question about recording drums and the best method and best equipment.

We are having an interview with a drummer tonight for a job with our band, but he only has an acousic set... He's 21 and never recorded. (our last drummer took care of most of the recordings)

So, from his acoustic drums mic'ed with a set of drum mics NADY DMK 7pcs $179

To a small Behringer UB1202 mixer $69-

Into the Tascam DP-01 FX digital recorder $449

Now you may be asking why have a 12 channel mixer and the DP-01... Answer; the DP-01 8 channel mixer isn't enough channels when we want to record everything live.

Is this the best way for the money?
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
hell yeah man when my old band recorded the drums with only 2 mics into a tascam dpo1 and it came out great, your will come out better since you can mic EVERYTHING and mix it accordingly good luck it will be good
When i was playing with a band, we didnt have any money to spend at all on drum mics, so what we did was borrowed a friend's microphone, found a good place for it, and went from there. We later found out that it is best to keep the microphone elevated, so that you can hear all the drums, rather than two or three.
Quote by Guitar Skater
i own the dp 01 i think its a great recorder

Does the DP-01 have a USB port so one can use a flash drive to transfer the data from tascam to computer?
"
-Maynard

| |
absoultely Mr Sandman, thats how we got our songs to myspace, but you have to convert them into mp3 format, thats so simple anyways
Quote by Guitar Skater
absoultely Mr Sandman, thats how we got our songs to myspace, but you have to convert them into mp3 format, thats so simple anyways

SWEET! Yeah, we have alot of music that we have written on myspace also... Unfortunately, we have to record from the amp to sound card, then re-record guitar fill and vocals straight onto audacity.

But currently without a drummer... some songs have a drum machine, but we're not proud of that!
"
-Maynard

| |
If you are in a room that sounds decent, you can get some good drum recordings using 3 mics. Use a pair of overheads (equal distance from the center of top snare head) and a kick drum mic.
Summer Sale: Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends September 4th.
www.UnderTheGroove.com