so ive got a tune-o-matic briidge and stopbar tailpiece, the strings arent wrapped around the tailpiece.. im just trying to intonate it, so the little E worked good, went tot he B string and tuned it to B (open)

okay no problems, but then i hit the 12th fret and its too high, so i adjust the saddles all the way up (for example) no change, sometimes the needls bobs around a bit, but it wont tune exactly to B... okay, so i turn the saddle all the way to the bottom.. same thing..

should that not intonate the string?

the only thing ican think of is maybe its the old ****ty strings..
LYRICS. WASTED TIME BETWEEN SOLOS

l
Umm You got me a little confused but: arent the saddles for action, not intonation? ( i mean raising/lowering)

excuse me if im wrong, i work with action and intonation a lot on my bass, but ive never worked with a tune o matic bridge, but i'd imagine its similiar.
i dont mean raising/lowering saddles, i mean moving them backwards/forwards

l
By the needle bobbing, you mean on youre tuner?

i actually never intonate with a tuner. what you can do, and you dont even have to be in tune, is play the 12th fret, and then play the 12th fret harmonic to see if they match. tho you have to have a decent ear. thats the way i intonate all my instruments and i trust that more than a tuner, because if youre open string, tho you think its spot on, is a little sharp or flat, then you're screwed when you get the 12th fret right on and realize its still not intonated.
im just wondering why no matter what i do to the saddle it doesnt affect the inonation

l
its not.. its just ur standard tune-o-matic bridge

l
i dunno how it isnt affecting ur intonation, it shold as ur changing the string length, unless ur tuner isnt noticing the difference, is it a crappy one?
there are two ways u can try intonating.

some guys try to compare the 12th fret harmonic to the string fretted at the 12th.
(sometimes this is a bit harder, but worth it if u can get it done)

another sometimes easier way, is to compare,
the string fretted at the 12th with the open string note.

which way are u trying?

also dont forget to retune between saddle movement.

and there's ur screw. im sure u know. make sure u see the saddle moving.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 26, 2006,
im trying both.. harmonics, and the open E... my point is, no matter how far i move the saddle towards the pickup, or towards the tailpiece, it doesnt affect the intonation

l
well have you tried adjusting the truss rod too? there might be too much tension in the neck...
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
^ the truss COULD be a problem if he said "I cant get it sharp/flat enough", but his problem is different: he cant change the intonation at all.
bingo. ^ which is why he needs to keep trying.

and are the strings new? sometimes an old string is a mess.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011