Just reading through one of my old magasines and ive noticed something, above the notation(not the tab) there is often a dashed line with 8va or 15va at the start. Ive noticed this before and wondered what it was, but ive never asked. What does it mean?
An example of what im talking about is in Hendrix's all along the watchtower. During the outro, he bends the 1st string at the 19th fret to the 21st fret and then repicks it for several bars, 8va is over this part for all of it.
Quote by Robbie n strat
What on earth goes on in your mind H4x0r.

Quote by cliff_em_all
i think i love you in the non gayest way possible.
i d'know but id like to know, isnt it something to do with playing an octave or 2 up or sumatt?
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
8va means its an octave higher than written. i would assume 15va would mean it is two octaves higher than written, but im not 100% sure on that one. but 8va is definatly telling you to play the notes an octave higher than written. this is so that the writer of the sheet music can stick to the staff instead of using a lot of ledger lines.
Thank you, nice website that one is.
Quote by Robbie n strat
What on earth goes on in your mind H4x0r.

Quote by cliff_em_all
i think i love you in the non gayest way possible.
Yeah, it means one octave higher... the staff just ain't big enough lol...
Looking for my India/Django.
8va=octavia(Italien), I dont know what the hell 15va means, I think you are reading it wrong.
Its because in treble clef the middle c is the c on the 1st fret on the b string and in order to keep everything simple, to not have to write everything way above the staff, they use the 8va basically say play it an octave higher.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Exactly, it's just a space saver...

8va =play 1 octave higher than written
15ma=play 2 octaves higher than written

Also, u might see (more for bass players tho) is the sybols "8vb" &/or "15mb"

Both stand for an octave lower & 2 octaves lower respectively.