i havent been to my guitar lesson in like 3 weeks.
i have been playing to the same couple of trivium songs since then.
my guitar teacher has been good up until now, im not sure if he understands the type of music i listen to, therefore he doesnt know what i want to learn and sound like.

im switching teachers soon...but until then, what should i look up and learn?
i listen to alot of hard rock and metalcore.
should i just do my scales?
memorize some chords?
what?
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
id work on your scales with a metronome and see if u can make them wicked fast so that when you get your new teacher you'll be alot better
memorizing chords is the wrong way to go...learning scales is fine, but your goal is learn how to use them

the best way to practice is to do it yourself...no matter what teacher you change to, they probably won't teach you how to practice, and this is undoubtedly much more important than what you practice...the best advice i can give you is to learn what techniques you'll need to know to play in the style you want...you may not know exactly what these are (i.e. alternate picking, legato, sweep picking, tapping, the works) so pick a song you like...one that is out of your reach and learn to play it

the only way to do this is to break it into sections and isolate the difficulty...figure out what it is that is slowing you down or causing you trouble by looking at both hands individually, working out the bugs, and putting them together...build variations of exercises that target this particular movement and play them at a speed where everything is clean, preferrably to a metronome

i would pick up Troy Stetina's "Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar"...it may be a bit advanced for a beginner, but hey, even if you can't get the exercises down, it's good to challenge yourself to increase your playing efficiency and the results of your practicing...at least you'll be knowledged about how to practice
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
thanks a bunch axe grinder...and i appreciate the tine you put in for me.
i know alternate picking...im not great. i need some more right hand/left hand coordination.
ill say it...i suck at sweeps, horribly.
tapping..eh....i dont know what "good" tapping sounds like...so i think im alright.
and just like sweeps..i suck at legato stuff.

so i guess ill just practice some techniques so i will be better for my new teacher?
also, im going to start piano lessons...will this help my right hand/left hand coordination, as well as theory and stuff?

EDIT: should i practice on a clean or dirty amp?
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Last edited by xsynysterx06 at Jul 26, 2006,
^that's about as useful as a condom at a feminist rally

you should definitely practice on a clean amp setting at first because you want to hear what your fingers are doing...anybody can make a sloppy sweep sound cool with a ton of distortion, but how many of them can do the same cleanly? not many - of course, at some point you'll have to practice with distortion to focus on muting unwanted string noise and such, but make sure you have the technique and movements down before attemtping this

it's all about discovering your flaw in technique, figuring out why it's causing you trouble, create variations that focus on that particular technique, and head to the "workshop" by playing it to a metronome at a slow enough speed where you can play every note cleanly and without excess tension...i cannot stress the practice principles enough because it's not what you practice, it's how you practice...

i find this "evaluate and take action" approach much more efficient than taking a load of exercises from a website or book and playing them daily...there are so many different styles of music out there and so many different techniques involved, and only you can see what you're doing right and wrong; and how to fix it (unless you have a teacher of course)

music theory remains the same for every instrument, but translating theory on the piano to guitar can be quite challenging, so i would study on both sides of the spectrum so that you can familiarize yourself with how it applies to different instruments and how it comes together

one last tip, don't neglect the basics....this will hurt you in the long run, having to relearn things and such...if you're not good at legato, strengthen your hands early and master it before you move on...if you just can't alternate pick to save your life, get back to all upstrokes, downstrokes, etc...master the basics before moving on
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Last edited by axe_grinder247 at Jul 27, 2006,