My BA115 has officially pissed me off

As i put on the amp and started playing, the volume wasnt as loud as i thought it would be. gradually it decreased, and by 5 mins into the playing, even at 80% amp volume and 100% bass volume (all knobs max, neck pup), i could hear my own playing just as much as the amp

This happened twice or so before, but i imagined thats because it was overheating, as i had had it not QUITE that loud, but pretty loud at band practices for a long period of time, and i felt the back getting hot and the amp starting to fart a bit. i just let it cool and put it by an open window, and the problem was solved soon after, BUT:

This time i hadnt used my amp in about a week, maybe more, so there was of course no over heating, and now im royally screwed because i dont know whats wrong and i cant really use it ATM, because i can go louder with my practice amp (not really tho, as i blew up my practice amp a few months back )

Did i blow the speaker? How can i check? If i did, Should i get a replacement one? If so, from Ampeg or what?

EDIT: I had this in the bass forum but was getting no replies, so i thought GB&C might be the place to put a thread asking about amps.
okay, if you were to smell the amp, does it smell fine, or is there an odd smell to it?
if the speaker was blown, you would have alot of crappy noises from it, kinda like an untuned radio.

and do you still want the carvin?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
I told you i cant make a decision about the carvin yet because either way my dad's not gonna consider it till i start gigging...

Unless the ampeg turns out to be totally broken and i can beg him enough to get me a new and better amp but i hate bein a douche to my parents... but i love bass... but i hate anchvies... and olives...

EDIT: No distinctive smell... There are a few, but it smells like plastic (not burning, just normal) and like.. how a an amp would normally smell like besides that are some few other smells, but its how my garage always smells.
Last edited by mangablade at Jul 26, 2006,
lol, smells as in burnt electronics, best place is to smell a vent.

when you turn it on, does it make unusual noises?

how old is it?

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
i dont remember the age, as i got it used, but i think .. less than 10 years im 80% sure, less than 5 im 65% sure.

it's starting to hiss a lot.

EDIT: i know you meant electronics no i couldnt smell anything burnt there.
okay, the amp is probably totaled. (unless its worth over 500 bucks)
it probably has some leaky caps, which can work, then fade out, and can cause other things to go bad. it is quite common in TV's that come in here, average cost to fix is 350 to 600 dollars. depending on how many caps and stuff we replace.

i can be wrong, cant be quite sure unless i take it apart and look at it, but the simptoms fit the problem

so time for a new amp. most likely.

Quote by steven seagull
You're just saying that so i can buy your carvin

the amp retails for like 600 or 700 bucks...

can i CHECK to see if it has leaky caps??

and if it does, is it my fault ?
do you use battery powered pedals? if so when the battery life is low or dead it usually will affect your volume
lol, no, im not saything that because of my amp.

its kinda hard to check unless you got a volt meter and a cap tester. if they are open, or dont show the correct levels they are rated at, they are done.
and it isnt your fault. its just cheap parts used alot.

Quote by steven seagull
i tried it with and without my pedal.

OH! it MIGHT be my battery in my bass hahaha i have an active EQ and tbh, there were some problems with my Church's PA a few weeks ago.. i assumed it was the douche at teh soundboard (they had my drummers brother manning it, and he's like 12, and no experience with PA's) but it might have been my battery ill replace now.. LOL.... if i can find a 9 volt that is
lol, yea, a 9 volt can do it too. didnt think about that.
if so, you saved alot of money

Quote by steven seagull
oh man...

just plugged my passive P-bass into the ampeg...

lets just say i saved a lot of money AND found a great Iron Maiden tone
lol

yea, didnt think about the battery.
mine goes dead about once a year, and first time it went out, i got all pissed

Quote by steven seagull
The hiss is probably because of the fairly cheap horn Ampeg uses (I had one once upon a time).

Glad it was just a battery problem.
haha
the hiss left too lol.

though yeah i never liked my ampeg that much... i was only told it had a very "ampeggy" sound AFTER i bought it.. now i wish i had something closer to a GK, but i cant afford those...

thats why Tuba's Carvin looks tasty tho the 160ish in shipping (US) is a huge turn off
if you lived somewhere around here, it would be cheaper. but thats because its 200 pounds (rough shipping weight) and oversise. i picked it up, drove an hour to get it. so yea.

Quote by steven seagull