ok i just wrote a rough draft and the chords are Am-E-F-Gm with a capo on the first fret so i guess the real chords are A#m-F-F#-G#m... so wat scales should i use to put a small solo thingy in there???
Last edited by AcsticRckr89 at Jul 26, 2006,
Off the top of my head here (no guitar handy) that looks like a really Flamenco-ish progression. Am I right?
If I am (which I'm not sure of), then you should go over that with a... D# minor scale? Oh jeez, I thought I could figure this out in my head, but... hold on...
Oh cripes, I'm sorry. If that's wrong, I completely take the blame for it. I can't seem to remember now... I have this book somewhere that explains what to play over a progression like that, but I can't seem to remember it. If I remember (or find the book), I'll post again with the right info.
I'd love to help you out; sorry for the misinformation.
i would say a D scale starting on the 10 fret. should sound good
Quote by Dr. Patrick Hardy, president of Nu Pi Sigma chapter and principal at Ellis Arts Academy
“The purpose is to show that African-American men can do more than shoot people, rap and play basketball”

Start Your Day The John Mayer Way With Frosted Mayer Wheats
Acutally, you might want to consider changing scales (I guess depending on how fast the chords are being played.) I don't think you can play the same scale over E and F chords. I use scales with the root on the root for the chords that are in pretty much the same place on the neck (if that makes any sense.) I suggest you do the same. Practice it enough and I'm sure it will become easier to change scales when you change chords. Good luck!
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
(w/o Capo) It think it would be A Harmonic Minor for the first 3 chords (because of that E chord), and the scale over the Gm chord might be...perhaps A Phrygian? Maybe... *writes a little ditty over it* It's an interesting sound alright...

But you might wanna wait unitl someone come in that knows what he's talking about...
Last edited by wasp2020 at Jul 26, 2006,
Do a mix of A and D minor scales, but remember to use the frets reletive to the capo, so that means that what is normally the 6th fret becomes the 5th fret. I have a song that I noodled out the other day that is very similar. I used drop D tuning, and what I did was I let the low D string ring, and played an A minor scale targeting the D notes in the scale (keeps it in key), and then went up to a D minor scale. Perhaps you could reverse that and try the same thing.